Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Best place to sell a gravel bike

Having had a fairly entry-level adventure/gravel/CX/call-it-what-you-like bike for a year or 2 I fancy upgrading it, so anyone any advice on where's best to advertise? There's a few Facebook groups I'm aware of but they're all MTB specific.

I've had some bad experience with the road.cc classifieds unfortunately - endless spam (you have to put your email address in for all to see) and about 10 emails from some bot. Plus, it's seemingly impossible to delete your ad once it's up - anyone from road.cc reading this and wants to help me in this regard, please let me know! 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

matthewn5 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Dare I say it here, but Bike Radar's classifieds is the best place to buy and sell.

kil0ran | 6 years ago
1 like

I've always done well with eBay - sold three bikes and a Di2 groupset that way with no issues and good prices. Just make sure you wait for one of their 1% seller fees offers. Good photos always, ideally plenty of them - you can always link to external hosting if you've got more than 12. Document everything, particularly damage.

If selling for local collection make sure you specify cash only as you can't get eBay/Paypal seller protection on cash transactions. Above doesn't apply if you're posting it via tracked courier but I'd always prefer cash as its lower risk.

Be wary of scammers coming to see a bike and then backing out - this is a good way for a thief to scout out your shed, particularly if you get into talking about bikes. Limit your "reason for selling" to "new bike" or "no longer using" rather than "Yeah, I've got this new Dogma on the way with eTap and a £3k carbon wheelset"

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've found gumtree works, add 10% to what you think you want and let haggling commence...

Zermattjohn | 6 years ago
1 like

In Manchester, where I'm near, Gumtree is unfortunately full of stolen bikes.

kevvjj | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've had success with Gumtree.

Boatsie replied to kevvjj | 6 years ago
0 likes
kevvjj wrote:

I've had success with Gumtree.

My last 3 bikes were from gumtree. Seems to be buyers bargains though.
Last 1 was a like new track bike with near new $900 wheels and 2 new tyres at $600 lot.
Month before was an 8 speed hub bike with 2 new tyres at $130 ( it's that nice a bike my mate asked me 2 days ago if it was a brand new 1) .
Some well cared for bikes seem to remain on site for months. Best of luck.
I'm having trouble giving away a bike at the moment because I say it's free yet needs tyres and tubes. (And I'm keeping the brake pads although the hard old 1s can go).

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Facebook, get it on all the local buy sell pages. Facebook has so updated so you only create one post and you can choose to post to multiple groups.

shufflingb | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've had good results with eBay for various large items including bikes.

fwiw I go with photo's of clean items (particularly of any damage etc), reason why it's up for sale, pointers to tech specs etc and a thorough description that I'd think was honest if I was buying it from someone else.  It's then buyer collects and signs a printed copy of the advert as receipt that the item was in the condition advertised when they collected.

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

I sold a bike on singletrack world a few years ago. They have an extremely active sales page.

don simon fbpe replied to StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

StraelGuy wrote:

I sold a bike on singletrack world a few years ago. They have an extremely active sales page.

Probably not niche enough for them, anyway aren't the Singlecrapworld classified full of conmen? There were always threads about poor saps who'd been ripped off.

peted76 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Pinkbike classifieds & Facebook groups.

Otherwise you can bow to the god of ebay and pay your fees.

Latest Comments