Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Just an idea

Maybe someone with a workshop could use?
I noticed common 3.7 volt lithium batteries slide into the dropbar, hence they'll also fit flatbars. Anyone manufacturing battery holders to suit? Furthermore handle bars of LED arrays? Hands might cover such during daylight rides while upright yet night riding I'm sure light obvious hence willingness to reduce holding patterns wouldn't be a problem.
High intensity LEDs are bright as.
My clip on lean on bars are bridged handle. If I could find battery holders to fit tube I'll be looking at drilling a light array central with a small triple throw switch to use 1 battery at a time. Even a drill straight through with a 10mm shaft big head multiple LED light array would bolt in secure and out of the way. Hollow shaft with internal wiring could bridge batteries to light array.
Cheap, easy, bright and relatively wind less.
I'm probably dreaming. Battery holders would be a start though. Maybe with switch on battery cap, simple circuit per battery?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

fenix | 6 years ago
1 like
cyclisto replied to fenix | 6 years ago
1 like
fenix wrote:

They're commercially available already.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bar+end+lights+bicycle&oq=bar+end+ligh...

I have used both tacx lumos and q-lite. Lumos were the worst thing ever made. I changed 3 sets under warranty and after a few months I hadn't had a single pair that worked as it should. Q-lites are more sturdy but rear facing only.

Their batteries though are small. A good pair of 18650 integrated into drop bars would be magic

Guanajuato replied to cyclisto | 6 years ago
0 likes
cyclisto wrote:

I have used both tacx lumos and q-lite. Lumos were the worst thing ever made. I changed 3 sets under warranty and after a few months I hadn't had a single pair that worked as it should.

My experience of the tacx lumos was the same. A good idea with flawed implementation.
Something similar powered by an integrated battery would make sense. It was the crappy way the AA battery was secured which made it so sensitive to damp and vibration. Having to remove them to change batteries was also a contirbutor to failure

cyclisto | 6 years ago
1 like

I had thought of something similar too. But to make it a little easier I thought of just using thin wires under bar tape instead of drilling.

The Gavalier | 6 years ago
1 like

I wouldn’t advise drilling bars for structural reasons. 

Boatsie replied to The Gavalier | 6 years ago
0 likes
The Gavalier wrote:

I wouldn’t advise drilling bars for structural reasons. 

Ditto. I don't mind having a play though. Clipons were around $20 5 year ago and seeing most don't bridge handle I figure they're cheap per weight and aero reasoning hence a bolt straight through the centre isn't a big loss to me if I fail yet a huge gain if successful.

Handlebars less so. An alloy set laying around shouldn't suffer significant loss from a small central wire hole as head stem brace will be enveloping such.
A battery holder set would be key though. I'm locked out.

Boatsie | 6 years ago
0 likes

Or maybe the handlebar brace?
A light array there, a small hole central bar to internally route wire or wires if not common Earth?
Pros.
Strong light.
Discreet.
Shouldn't effect aero dynamics.
Cons.
Probably expensive if commercial.
Light behind clipons if used.

Be nice to get some potential into the bars to play at a later date though. Maybe machine a wider brace to fit common size head stems and get some real light out in front.
Just a tight budget here having fun. Hope you northern guys/girls are warm.

Latest Comments