Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Paris Nice game

That first stage is tough to call. Is it a sprinters stage or one for the puncheurs?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

Condor Andy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Similar, very similar, but I've gone for Yves Lampaert.   There aren't many true TTers in this race, but Lampaert is.  Not sure if tomorrow will come down to a sprint, but I have a few transfers left to get a couple back in and then have my GC team for the last three days.

Dr Winston | 6 years ago
0 likes

Tbh i only watch the footy because my son is daft about it and we have a fantasy team each as rivals...so that makes it fun...but only that.

I've watched cycling right from the early days of coverage in this country really...nothing better on TV imo...The coverage (not just the race) but also the visual pictures/places of intrest/commentary is absolutely stunning. 

Anyway....I can't afford Poel so i'm going with Gallopin...

Alaphillipe, Gallopin, Sanchez, Gorka, Ion, Wellens my hope for pts tomorrow...Demare and Hivert in the wings...

Who do you have Andy?

0 likes

I used to watch the hell out of football, can't stand it now.  Bunch of cry babies.  Cycling's been my number one sport for a few years now.

Dr Winston | 6 years ago
0 likes

Yeah...i've gathered that Andy. I've got a couple of lads on board from a fantasy football site and it was the very thing i said to them. This game isn't about naming winners for tomorrow or for the GC it's about maximising pts...and especially assured pts.

In fantasy football there's a saying about chasing last weeks pts and that it's a big mistake...and it is...in this game it's actually a good tactic...

I'm so glad i now have Eurosport for what has always been my favourite sport by a mile...footy can go and stuff itself...

0 likes

People mostly fire in their Purist team and forget about it, there's not much too it really. I'd say if people think a certain player thinks a rider is likely to do well then they'll be in both teams.  However, a Standard team can end up looking very different from a Purist team if the Purist picks weren't wise.

The trick with Purist is to look at who's really targetting the race.  This game favours stage finishes more than GC, so you pick the guys who are going for the most stages.  GC is harder to predict than stge finishes anyway....for the most part  3

Dr Winston | 6 years ago
0 likes

Just on a gameplay point Andy. 

How do most people play their combination of Standard and Purists teams?...Do you find that some try to edge their bets by picking different riders across the two teams?...or do you find they just fire and forget the purist team until the end and don't pay it much attention?

not having much luck with my Purist teams Btw...Cavendish and Tejay both fallers before a wheel had barely been turned in anger so far this season. Quite a lot of pints there....

0 likes

You could try and predict the breakaway for tomorrow, but it could be a costly mistake with the TT the day after.  They'd be quite a few names who might fancy it, maybe someone who fancies the KOM jersey. Perichon got it yesterday so he might go again.

Dr Winston | 6 years ago
0 likes

Fancy a big name or two might try a breakaway tomorrow Andy. Nobody much seemed to fancy it on day one.

Gorka has got himself in a nice position but needs a few seconds before the real climbing begins...also maybe your man Gallopin needs the same...

Tejay out of the race now btw...

0 likes

The ITT is stage 4, there's a medium mountains stage to come before then, which might be one for the sprinters or a repeat of stage one.  I was impressed with Demare, but the other pure printers couldn't cope with the incline at the end.  Kristoff might fancy it, who knows.

Dr Winston | 6 years ago
0 likes

Not bad...134 pts and now up to 28th overall...

Big play for Stage 2...Taking out Allaphillipe and Degenkolb for Viviani and Groenewegen...Maybe a shade early for using two transfers for only the one true sprinters stage but i now have Viviani, Groenewegen, Magnus and Demare for tomorrow with Tentin, Wellens and Barbero possibly weighing in with pts...Not thrilled about losing Allaphillipe though...

Gonna be thin for Stage 3 and the ITT as well......

Dr Winston | 6 years ago
1 like

Wellens, Trentin, Gallopin, Tejay, De Gent, Sanchez...blah, blah, blah...could all make a play for Stage one 

Picking too many of those will leave a very poor day 2 team...

Gonna go with the much fancied Allaphillipe and Demare along with just two of the above and two of the better uphill sprinters...

Hard to call...but on balance just settle for an avg day i think, hopefully...

0 likes

No you have it right, prioritise the stages that are easier to call.  The thing being, whoever picks up the win tomorrow will likely be in the leaders jersey until the TT.

Dr Winston | 6 years ago
0 likes

He does look primed for sure Andy...well real world primed anyway.

In this game of yours though it's hard to see where he maximisises points. He could be a hit tomorrow (along with a few others) but then a liability perhaps for two stages after that as the sprinters take over. He's be in for sure with more transfers to play with.

How do you see the time trial going ?...Doesn't really look like a strong field to me and maybe a bit of guess work to pick points up. That obviously matters in fantasy terms because it may well be the stage to sit on on our hands and save transfers.

I think Stage one and the TT may both be a trap with the sprints and climbs easier to call...especially (as you say) with quite a thin firld of sprinters and some real form for the ones left in it.....any thoughts?...

0 likes

Let't put it this way.  A lot of sprinters have pulled out in favour of Tirreno Adriatico. Not even Matthews is doing Paris-Nice! So there are very few sprinters to choose from and I can only see 2 stages ending in a bunch sprint.

Gallopin seems very up for it.

Dr Winston | 6 years ago
0 likes

Looks for all the world like a De Gent or Sanchez stage...or any number of others....but which one? On balance, and with so few transfers, it may be easier to predict the sprinter stages, ITT, and the climbs.

Tough game.

0 likes

Nice try  3

Dr Winston | 6 years ago
0 likes

Mmmm. Very interesting. Could I have a few more transfers please?

0 likes

http://www.paris-nice.fr/en/stage-1

We can only upload one image for the stage profile, but check out each stage on the official website, especially the 'Last KM' image.  Could prove interesting  1 

Latest Comments