Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Garmin Edge 800 vs Garmin Edge Touring

I've had my Edge 800 since 2012 and it's getting a bit tatty.  I'm interested in the Edge Touring.

I know that it doesn't do real time updating and it doesn't support AMT+ and cadence monitoring but I don't want those anyway.

So my real question is:  is the Touring as good as my old 800 at ride data, upload and route following, and is it quicker/same at recalculating after a missed turn etc.

Have you cganged from an 800 to a touring and been disappointed?

cheers

Simon

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Dr Livingstone | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the replies.  very useful will look at the Mio and the  Wahoo

Russell Orgazoid | 6 years ago
1 like

Wahoo Elemnt

HoarseMann | 6 years ago
0 likes

It’s useless for creating a route on the fly. The touring lacks the direct routing option that the 800 has, which means routes will avoid A roads at all costs. It won’t let a route go over an A road at a cross roads or roundabout, resulting in some hilariously torturously long journeys. Apparently this is what touring cyclists want. 

However, it has been brilliant for following routes created on the RideWithGPS website and exported as a TCX file. Turn by turn directions with junction map popping up with a beep, and 10 hours plus battery life. I also use a lightning to micro SD card adapter to transfer routes to/from my iPhone.

alotronic | 6 years ago
1 like

I have a touring and it is fine - seemed to settle down with some updates and has been good for last year. LEL (1450km) recorded as a single session  1

However it was terrible for the first year.

Would def buy the element now though, looks to be well sorted. 

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Many bad reviews.

Have a look at Mio 505 - at around £200 with UK & Euro maps and a colour screen you'll struggle to find better value...

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Neither the Wahoo Elemnt and Elemnt Bolt ar far easier to use and are more interactive

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

I had one. Biggest piece of useless w*nk I've ever bought. Genuinely useless. Turned off mid ride, if you go off course at all it just goes black and says off course. Genuinely useless waste of money. Ended up giving to mate who was just starting to cycle to record his rides. I ended up with a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt which is superb.

DoctorFish replied to StraelGuy | 6 years ago
1 like

StraelGuy wrote:

I had one. Biggest piece of useless w*nk I've ever bought. Genuinely useless. Turned off mid ride, if you go off course at all it just goes black and says off course. Genuinely useless waste of money. Ended up giving to mate who was just starting to cycle to record his rides. I ended up with a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt which is superb.

This.

I had  a touring plus.  It has put me totally off garmin products.  The only reason it didn't end up being thown in the bush is that littering annoys me even more!  Turned itself off loads of times, lost ride data, would then take an age to then turn back on and find satalites. 

Wahoo were at one point doing a trade in deal on the Elemnt and I traded it in.  Keep the 800, or get an Elemnt or Elemnt Bolt.  But please do not put yourself though the pain of owning a Garmin Touring.

Latest Comments