Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Buying Cheap Chinese from AliExpress

Anyone done it - thoughts?

I'm just looking at a Cairbull aero TT helmet with a built in magnetic visor for £18 with free postage.

That way better than anything I can either get second hand here!

I realise the CE mark is most likely rubbish, not that it bothers me, it's not like a helmet is actually going to be of much protection in anything more than a light bump anyway - but lets not start the helmet debate.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

47 comments

hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
2 likes

I've had no problem with AliExpress and I'd rate it as similar to buying from EBay. I've had no problem with the helmet that I bought from there.

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm more just interested what experience people have had with aliexpress (rather than wether this helmet will be protective or not!).

I think it's worth pointing out that I could just cycle with no helmet and no-one would be too shocked :p

I'm really not concerned about the lid being protective, just need something without too many vents!

Plus the integrated visor looks cool.

fenix | 6 years ago
0 likes

It's not the price that concerns me - more the unverifiable safety rating....

cyclisto | 6 years ago
1 like

For the cheap helmet haters please remember that helmets in Australia are sold for 5 Australian dollars from machines. They are thick as a brick so I would trust my head in them more than a 150£ superlight pro helmet.

Rapha Nadal | 6 years ago
4 likes

£18 for a helmet from some knock off shop.  You people crack me up.

fenix | 6 years ago
4 likes

I'd rather wear no helmet rather than a cheap one off eBay. How do you know that the the thing doesn't splinter into eye piercing shards in s crash ?

Butty | 6 years ago
2 likes

If you are buying it for aero properties then it sounds a great deal!

Just make sure you are handy with araldite though.

Leeroy_Silk | 6 years ago
1 like

Hello Wellsprop,

Another entry for not wading in on the helmet debate... After watching this video a few years back it made me make an ornament of my old skate lid and replace it with something a little more cycling orientated. Although this was from my BMX days when I’d only wear a helmet when I thought I’d probably crash!

https://www.ridebmx.com/videos/arfs-certified-vs-non-certified-helmet-test/

hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
1 like

I bought a cheap helmet from AliExpress and it seems functional (luckily I haven't tested it's ability to absorb bumps).

I got a carbon fibre integrated stem/handlebar and it was absolute rubbish - just got my money back as it cracked when I was installing it.

I've bought lots of electronics through AliExpress as well and they've all been good, though I had an ultrabook pack up after only a year.

The problem with buying direct from China is that you have to be prepared to throw it away if there's any problem with it. Nowadays, I wouldn't buy anything carbon fibre from there as the quality control is lacking with the cheap stuff.

Canyon48 replied to hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
1 like
hawkinspeter wrote:

I bought a cheap helmet from AliExpress and it seems functional (luckily I haven't tested it's ability to absorb bumps).

I got a carbon fibre integrated stem/handlebar and it was absolute rubbish - just got my money back as it cracked when I was installing it.

I've bought lots of electronics through AliExpress as well and they've all been good, though I had an ultrabook pack up after only a year.

The problem with buying direct from China is that you have to be prepared to throw it away if there's any problem with it. Nowadays, I wouldn't buy anything carbon fibre from there as the quality control is lacking with the cheap stuff.

I certainly wouldn't buy any carbon fibre components that weren't from a reputable manufacturer!

As for non vital stuff, lights, mounts, helmets, glasses etc, I'll give it a go :p

Accessibility f... replied to Canyon48 | 6 years ago
1 like

wellsprop wrote:

I certainly wouldn't buy any carbon fibre components that weren't from a reputable manufacturer! As for non vital stuff, lights, mounts, helmets, glasses etc, I'll give it a go :p

Brilliant, so you'll buy cheapo lights with batteries and electronics designed by heaven knows who.  Electronics that could easily burn your house down.  And you'll buy cheap glasses that may fracture on impact and blind you (good glasses don't do this).

But you won't buy cheap carbon components because that's dodgy.

Comments like yours are why we need regulations and standards.  And laws to protect the stupid from themselves.

Canyon48 replied to Accessibility for all | 6 years ago
1 like

Peowpeowpeowlasers wrote:

wellsprop wrote:

I certainly wouldn't buy any carbon fibre components that weren't from a reputable manufacturer! As for non vital stuff, lights, mounts, helmets, glasses etc, I'll give it a go :p

Brilliant, so you'll buy cheapo lights with batteries and electronics designed by heaven knows who.  Electronics that could easily burn your house down.  And you'll buy cheap glasses that may fracture on impact and blind you (good glasses don't do this).

But you won't buy cheap carbon components because that's dodgy.

Comments like yours are why we need regulations and standards.  And laws to protect the stupid from themselves.

I think there's an important distinction to be made between safety critical components (such as wheels and frames and accessories (glasses and lights).

I also forgot to mention I don't actually wear my fake Oakleys on my bike (I wear my Dhb glasses) :p Nor have I bought any cheap lights from China - not saying I wouldn't though (if I wanted a super bright light for mountain biking for example).

Suppose both were sub-standard; the bike wheel failed when hitting a pothole and the bike glasses shattered on impact - both have fairly nasty results. The main difference is, the chance of crashing face first and the glasses breaking is vastly lower than the chance of hitting a pothole causing a wheel failure. So it's understandable a lot of people would take that risk with a pair of glasses (again, I never said I wear fake glasses cycling!).

I must admit, I tend to be ridiculously OTT with charging Lion batteries - I won't leave them (or their chargers) plugged in unattended.

Dnnnnnn replied to Canyon48 | 6 years ago
2 likes

wellsprop wrote:

I must admit, I tend to be ridiculously OTT with charging Lion batteries - I won't leave them (or their chargers) plugged in unattended.

This is shocking. 

I knew Lions could be dangerous but didn't know they had artillery and cavalry horses.

You won't find me charging Lions anytime soon!

Canyon48 replied to Dnnnnnn | 6 years ago
1 like

Duncann wrote:

wellsprop wrote:

This is shocking. 

I knew Lions could be dangerous but didn't know they had artillery and cavalry horses.

You won't find me charging Lions anytime soon!

That gave me a good laugh!

All things considered, I think I too, would stay clear of weaponised lions.

Li-on.

Chez_worldwide | 6 years ago
4 likes

I bought a jersey from an Ali Express trader called "Spexcel"- I just wanted something to wear on the turbo. Zip broke first time I put it on. When I requested a refund they suggested I fix the zip with a pair of pliers. I'm still trying to get my money back now. 

Don't buy a helmet unless you know it's going to do it's job the one time you'll need it to. If they are willing to fake a CE mark there'll be other corners they'll cut during manufacture and testing. A broken jersey zip is one thing, a piece of safety equipment is another. Although it's your head and you can do what you want with it.

edit- spelling.

Canyon48 replied to Chez_worldwide | 6 years ago
1 like

Chez_worldwide wrote:

Although it's your head and you can do what you want with it.

Haha, that made me chuckle!

Seeing as it's less than £18, I bought the helmet. I'm more concerned about the build quality rather than the safety aspect (even appropriately tested helmets are only actually tested at 12mph). After all, my main concern when time trialling isn't hitting my head because of a crash, it's being squished by a car/lorry.

In about 4 weeks I should have a helmet to report back about!

Welsh boy | 6 years ago
0 likes

It’s cheap for a reason and if you accept that then it sounds like a good buy 

Pages

Latest Comments