Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

WTF!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-43159063

Only time you'll see me happy about a motorist mowing down a "cyclist". Stops a bike thief, yet get more than he would have if he had killed him?
Anyone remember the video of the Police Van knocking down the scrote stealing from a 4x4 then riding off on a cycle? Wonder what the difference is? Ill never figure out our Justice system. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

bendertherobot | 6 years ago
1 like
Grahamd replied to bendertherobot | 6 years ago
0 likes

bendertherobot wrote:

Ah, better.

http://www.alloaadvertiser.com/news/15923141.Rage_driver_left__petrified...

That gives much better context, thanks.

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
2 likes

Could it be the theft was part of a wider family feud and the running over a more extreme retribution...

Many possibilities.

bendertherobot | 6 years ago
1 like

The difference is in the application of force. A door was used in London, the bike thief was unharmed, and the law on self defence (of property) is in relation to private individuals.

In this case there's nothing about what belief the Defendant had at all in relation to the property. It was also not his property. The offence, while admitted at trial, doesn't tell us anything about what the Defendant thought and believed. Reasonable force can be used in self defence, that's always been the case. Ditto for home owners. Defending someone else's seemingly cheap bike by running them over and causing significant injuries is generally going to cross the line. There's no information either on whether the jury found that he honestly held the belief that the bike was stolen (even if mistaken). I suspect, given a 5 day trial, there's an awful lot of missing info here.

ClubSmed replied to bendertherobot | 6 years ago
0 likes

bendertherobot wrote:

The difference is in the application of force. A door was used in London, the bike thief was unharmed, and the law on self defence (of property) is in relation to private individuals.

In this case there's nothing about what belief the Defendant had at all in relation to the property. It was also not his property. The offence, while admitted at trial, doesn't tell us anything about what the Defendant thought and believed. Reasonable force can be used in self defence, that's always been the case. Ditto for home owners. Defending someone else's seemingly cheap bike by running them over and causing significant injuries is generally going to cross the line. There's no information either on whether the jury found that he honestly held the belief that the bike was stolen (even if mistaken). I suspect, given a 5 day trial, there's an awful lot of missing info here.

The bike belonged to the defendants girlfriend at the time so I think it pretty safe to say that the defendant "thought and believed" that the bike was stolen. As the "victim" claims to have taken it for a one time use to cycle to his mother's it is easy to assume that he was seen in the act (probably at a distance) of theft and the defendant chased in the vehicle. His actions may have been extreme but I can understand it in the heat of the moment when your blood is up. I know that I have been equally angry when returning to find parts of my bike stolen and I don't know what I may be capable of if I cought them in the act.

I would assume that the factors in giving such a long ban and jail time are due to prior offences and the difference in the Scottish justice system.

bendertherobot replied to ClubSmed | 6 years ago
2 likes

ClubSmed wrote:

bendertherobot wrote:

The bike belonged to the defendants girlfriend at the time so I think it pretty safe to say that the defendant "thought and believed" that the bike was stolen. As the "victim" claims to have taken it for a one time use to cycle to his mother's it is easy to assume that he was seen in the act (probably at a distance) of theft and the defendant chased in the vehicle. His actions may have been extreme but I can understand it in the heat of the moment when your blood is up. I know that I have been equally angry when returning to find parts of my bike stolen and I don't know what I may be capable of if I cought them in the act.

I would assume that the factors in giving such a long ban and jail time are due to prior offences and the difference in the Scottish justice system.

It's not safe to assume anything from a tiny report of a 5 day trial. It's simply impossible to hail this bloke as a have a go hero wronged by the system or compare it with other cases. There will have been jury directions in relation to self defence all of which, having heard the evidence, they rejected. Whether that was force, or reasonable belief it's unclear. 5 days for what appears to be a straightforward case it a lot. 

ClubSmed replied to bendertherobot | 6 years ago
1 like

bendertherobot wrote:

ClubSmed wrote:

bendertherobot wrote:

It's not safe to assume anything from a tiny report of a 5 day trial. It's simply impossible to hail this bloke as a have a go hero wronged by the system or compare it with other cases. There will have been jury directions in relation to self defence all of which, having heard the evidence, they rejected. Whether that was force, or reasonable belief it's unclear. 5 days for what appears to be a straightforward case it a lot. 

Are you suggesting that it's plausible the defendant went to mow down a random person on a bike and it was just coincidence that victim was riding a stolen bike belonging to the defendants girlfriend?

bendertherobot replied to ClubSmed | 6 years ago
0 likes

ClubSmed wrote:

bendertherobot wrote:

ClubSmed wrote:

bendertherobot wrote:

Are you suggesting that it's plausible the defendant went to mow down a random person on a bike and it was just coincidence that victim was riding a stolen bike belonging to the defendants girlfriend?

I'm suggesting nothing, which is rather the point of my original post. Without knowing why the defence was clearly rejected we don't learn very much. What we do know is that he was jailed for 4 years. I don't know what guidelines were used (i.e. whether Scotland use the same) but that's a big sentence and, by clear implication, any mitigation of justification was rejected by the Judge. 

Grahamd | 6 years ago
1 like

Can all injured cyclist court cases be directed to this judge?

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Yeah this makes no sense to me!

Latest Comments