Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Reusing / storing used tyres

All - not sure if this is a daft question, but here you go.....

I bought some Conti GP 4000s II and ran them on my bike for a couple of hundred miles. However they seem to hate city winters and are puncturing all the time, so have been replaced by a more puncture resistant type.

Around the same time I have bought myself a summer bike, so the current bike will become winter / commuter and will therefore probably keep the sturdier tyres

SO

1) is there any issue putting used tyres on the new bike when new bike tyres wear out? New bike has own dedicated wheelset.

2) if not, in the meantime is there any way I should / should not store tyres?

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

zedthegreat | 5 years ago
1 like

Cheers all - as much as I enjoyed the replies, under the bed it is! 

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
3 likes

sling them in corner of garage, pull out wipe spiders webs and fit

madcarew | 6 years ago
2 likes

Definitely out of the sunlight. If you're a Belgian soigneur you will store it with your sheeps cheese and pastis in the cellar, turning every 6 weeks and wiping with the navel lint of himalyan virgins, for a period not less than the race number (in years)  of the last winner of Fleche-Wallon. Otherwise there's no evidence that temperature / humidity etc etc has an effect on the re-usability / performance of the tyres. Hung rather than folded seems to make sense.

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
3 likes

1) No issues at all.

2) Preferably somewhere coolish and darkish but they should be fine, store them unfolded rather than folded and they'll keep their shape.

ChrisB200SX replied to StraelGuy | 6 years ago
2 likes

StraelGuy wrote:

1) No issues at all.

2) Preferably somewhere coolish and darkish but they should be fine, store them unfolded rather than folded and they'll keep their shape.

Yep, out of the sunlight, dry, cool. In the cupboard under the stairs or something. Out in the garage isn't so good as the temperature changes more.

Latest Comments