Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Which disc wheels?

Hi all. New on forum, partly because I need advice on a new wheelset. Looking for a set of disc wheels as first upgrade from aksium. Have £300ish to spend and my head is hurting.
Choices so far are:

Prime Peloton Pro Disc
MasonxHunt 4 season
Hope Twenty5 RS4
Fulcrum Racing 6

I am 92kg in the buff! Looking for light and strong and will only be doing road riding. I dont need to pack a lot of extra weight and normal training run is 2-4 hrs. Also want to go tubeless.

Prime are only 270 at the moment so is there any reason not to go for them as they are the lightest?

I would consider maybe up to £400 if anyone can suggest a good set?

Appreciate your help and also that this question is probably asked a lot!!!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

That's weird, I have Hunts on both bikes and neither of them are remotely noisy. Maybe they use different freehubs on different models?

matthewn5 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've got a set of Hunts, the freehubs scream like a dive-bomber, great for warning pedestrians in town but start to get to you after a while... It's the pawls, each one has three mini notches and a similar extra number of notches on the ratchet. Think of a dry Campag freehub and multiply by three. That loud.

kevvjj replied to matthewn5 | 6 years ago
0 likes

matthewn5 wrote:

I've got a set of Hunts, the freehubs scream like a dive-bomber, great for warning pedestrians in town but start to get to you after a while... It's the pawls, each one has three mini notches and a similar extra number of notches on the ratchet. Think of a dry Campag freehub and multiply by three. That loud.

My Hunt wheels are certainly not silent... but not all loud either. Hope hubs, now that's loud!

ChetManley | 6 years ago
0 likes

I was going to get the Hunt wheels, but a long wait and a big discount on Kinesis wheels made me go with them.

At full retail price, would go with the Hunt wheels but not had any bother with the Kinesis which have been easy to set up tubeless with a few different tires.

dave atkinson | 6 years ago
0 likes
Alaska replied to dave atkinson | 6 years ago
0 likes
dave atkinson wrote:

these are good too: https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Alexrims-CXD4-700c-Disc-TL-Ready-Centrelock-Roa...

Yep i looked at those but i think they are only 100kg system weight

Russell Orgazoid | 6 years ago
0 likes

Cero wheels.

Silversurfmonkey | 6 years ago
0 likes

Got Hunt 4Seasons Gravel with 300 ish miles on and all good so far.

Alaska | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for responses. I have gone with the Hunt 4 season and the pro ones fitted! I called them and asked about weight etc. 4 season seemed like the most worry free option.

I was going to get the Fulcrums but they don't come with tape or valves for tubeless and wanted everything as simple as possible.

SellMatt | 6 years ago
0 likes

Just fitted my set of Hunt Race Aero at weekend and went out on Sat and Sun. My Supersix felt lively the lump on board not so but Hunt service and quick delivery was a joy. Do get tyres fitted though.

Team EPO | 6 years ago
0 likes

I too am looking for a similar upgrade and all the reading points to the Hunts.

I would get them to install the tubeless tyres for you as they are a bugger to fit the first time

check12 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Fulcrum racing 5 disc from wiggle £280

check12 replied to check12 | 6 years ago
0 likes

check12 wrote:

Fulcrum racing 5 disc from wiggle £280

Actually I’d just go with the hunt wheels. 

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

A quick Google suggests the prime wheels might be a bit flexy. I have the Hunts and really like them, lightish and very smart looking. Hopes are probably very good but the freehubs are insanely loud, I had one on a new mountain bike a couple of years ago and sold it on and bought a Shimano instead. I'm not familiar with the fulcrums though.

Latest Comments