Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Mavic Aksium lateral adjustment

Hi,

I'm using some Mavik Aksium's as winter wheels at the moment. Noticed recently that the wheel isn't true in the frame, ie it's closer to the drive side chainstay then the non-drive side. Other wheels are centred and I think it's happened since I started using the wheels. Frame is a Supersix Evo MK1 so the chainstay clearance isn't huge and the tire (23mm) is fairly close to the stay.

I wanted to ask if it's possible to adjust the wheel to center it in the frame?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Shav | 6 years ago
1 like

Thanks for input everyone. I have made sure the wheel is sitting squarely in the drop-outs. Looks like it needs a visit to my LBS as I wouldn't be confident in trying to true it myself.

DaSy | 6 years ago
1 like

If it started out being dished correctly (ie, it was centered between the chainstays), it's pretty unlikely it has moved and remained true but out of dish. I would check that the wheel is sitting squarely in the drop-outs. 

Failing that, and the wheel dishing is not right, take it to a bike shop if you haven't trued a wheel before, as it is not easy to slaken a whole wheel off, re-dish and true laterally and radially and get the spoke tension correct. 

Boatsie | 6 years ago
0 likes

I haven't needed a wheel trued at least 10 years. Ages ago couldn't do it correctly anyway. A LBS would do that sort of work often. Maybe ring and get a quote to centre a rim you stripped the tyre and tape at home of and go from there? Or if game as StraelGuy wrote knowing to make steps tiny and repeat.

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

You could loosen all the spokes on one side by half a turn and tighten all the spokes on the other side by half a turn and bring it over that way but it depends on how much tension the spokes already have.

Latest Comments