Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Is my cassette worn?

I have been told my chain is in need of replacement. Id like to know if my cassette is also worn since I fancy getting a 11-28T anyway rather than the 11-32T I have right now.

What are the signs of a badly worn cassette?  And how bad or good is mine, will simply changing the chain be ok on this occasion ?  Any tips of advice appreciated  1

//s14.postimg.org/m1iseip5t/20180217_170655189_i_OS.jpg)//s14.postimg.org/4bh3thr0h/20180217_170709387_i_OS.jpg)//s14.postimg.org/3yppnb10x/20180217_170726182_i_OS.jpg)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

boxrick | 6 years ago
0 likes

Cheers for the feedback guys, sadly this is my commuter and that is about 2 weeks worth road gunk. I'll fit the new chain and give the cassette a clean as advised!

VeloUSA | 6 years ago
0 likes
Boatsie | 6 years ago
1 like

Vinegar is a great bath to rid rust with.
Bath rusty stuff in vinegar 24hr and it comes out much better. Best rust remover I know, I'm guessing it will assist a cassette.

I was in similar situation. LBS advised me to change cogs because my chain was excessively worn. 100% on gauge. I could just change chain but cassette would wear quickly due to chain length embedded pattern.
At $20 each per cassette/chain I changed both. I don't know if that of help. Vinegar is great stuff to save old parts with though.

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
3 likes

2 minutes in gunk and ultrasonic bath

Rapha Nadal replied to CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
1 like

CXR94Di2 wrote:

Looks like it's still filthy though?  Unless it's my eyes?!

OP: your cassette is fine,

ChrisB200SX replied to CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes

CXR94Di2 wrote:

Ultrasonic is amazing.

Kerosene is good, sold in B&Q as Paraffin. Give it a second clean with fresher fluid. Rinse off, bath in methylated spirits to remove all residue. Let it dry, then add new awesome luricant  1

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
1 like

Like ktache said, stick a new chain on and if it slips, change the cassette. If it doesn't, you're good to go.

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes

A good clean will help to start with. you can do it manually or with an ultrasonic bath, (fantastic). I drop mine in 'gunk' tub run it in the ultrasonic bath. It removes all the grease and grit. Then rinse whilst ultrasonic in clean water. I then drop the chain into a tub of chainsaw oil. wipe excess and bingo, super clean and lubricated chain. Remove Cass and do the same except don't oil at all. reassemble and test. Worse case you might need a chain.

ktache | 6 years ago
5 likes

Rohloff do a cassete wear checker.

The Rohloff HG IG Check.

Odd that the people who make a hub that does away with the cassette makes a cassette checker.

Put a new chain on, if it does the slipping, clunky thing you unfortunatly need a new cassette.

kevvjj replied to ktache | 6 years ago
1 like

ktache wrote:

Rohloff do a cassete wear checker.

The Rohloff HG IG Check.

Odd that the people who make a hub that does away with the cassette makes a cassette checker.

Put a new chain on, if it does the slipping, clunky thing you unfortunatly need a new cassette.

...or a new middle/inner ring

Simon E replied to ktache | 6 years ago
1 like

ktache wrote:

Yep. Test it in your most used gear(s) - those are the ones where the new chain is most likely to skip.

I've never had to resort to kerosene, white spirits or similar toxic stuff to clean a cassette, just a small amount of citrus-based domestic degreaser and a brush.

Little and often is the best policy with drivetrain maintenance - the longer you leave it the bigger the job (and it wears faster in the accumulated crud).

AfterPeak | 6 years ago
2 likes

You need a chain check tool. It will tell you if you need to change just the chain or the chain and cassette. Looks OK but keep it clean or it will last 5mins!

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
1 like

It doesn't look badly worn to me. I've seen cassettes with sharpened worn teeth!

If the teeth feel sharp, that's a good sign of wear.

Latest Comments