Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Caad12 vs Boardman Pro Carbon vs Cube C62 Agree?

Hi there, I’m new to the forum, I’m looking for a new road bike so thought I’d join.

I’ve currently got a 2010 Boardman Team Carbon which has been great, but I fancy a new bike with discs as I’m bored of poor wet weather braking. I’m on Mavic Aksium wheels and changed the standard tektro brakes for Sram Apex with Swiss stop pads. That improved it but not enough. It weighs around 8kg claimed and my luggage scales seem to back this up.

Budget is £1400 - and I’m buying through the C2W scheme through work (our limit is £2k but I don’t want to go this high).

I’m down to the following 3 bikes:

Cannondale Caad12 105 Disc 2017

Boardman Road Pro Carbon Disc

Cube Agree C62 Carbon disc 2017

The Cannondale is the cheapest at £1200, the other two are around £1400.

I’ve been able to find the Boardman in the metal (or carbon!) and was actually really impressed with it - think it’s 8.3kgs.

I’ve only found the caad12 in an enormous 58cm size without discs and was a little underwhelmed - although it was light. I’ve got one more shop to try in Bristol to see if I can find the disc model.

The Cube - I’ve been unable to find it anywhere - weight is claimed at 8.65kg.

My riding is mostly commuting 3 times a week in all weathers but I go as hard as I can to help fitness train when I don’t have enough time to do it any other time. I mtb on the weekend if I ever get time to go out (I have a 1 yr old little girl and free time on my own is at a premium) and want to be fitted for that.

I think my current bike is reasonably racey in geometry - I came from a Caad 9 before that and got on ok with that too. I’ve looked at endurance type racers and for my budget they all seem really heavy, and I like my bikes to feel pretty lively. 

What are people’s thoughts on the above bikes - good and bad experiences?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Joebristol | 6 years ago
1 like

Alan - it’s certainly an unusual colour scheme. I can’t quite decide if I like it or not. I guess that’s better than being bland / boring!

I put the next brake down (BB5?) on a mountain bike for my dad and they’re ok (he thinks they’re great), but I have hydros on both mtbs and the cable discs just don’t feel as nice or as powerful (I’ve been spoiled by having Sram Guide R’s on both bikes).

Arfa - thanks for your Caad12 comment - that makes me feel better about my decision. I found a local bike shop had a caad12 105 Disc on for a bargain price and in a 54 which is the size I need. It was the last of that model they had. They wanted £1100 for it as a cash sale or £1200 on C2W due to the charges they incur, so I’ve gone for it on C2W. Ordered my voucher today and put a cash deposit down to hold it! It still works out cheaper on bike to work due to the discount / tax saving.

I would have liked carbon, but the brand did it for me in this case!

Will look like the attached bike:

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

That's the one Joe, any frame that looks like it's been dipped into a Volcano is a winner for me  1

My Specialized Winter Bike has the same brakes and I really can't complain in terms of power, the modulation may be somewhat less than higher end though.

Best of luck!

arfa | 6 years ago
0 likes

I can only speak for the caad12 105 disc which I did around 8000 miles on as my every day commuter. I can't fault it, it's nice and stiff (ideal for putting a bit of power down between lights) and reasonably light (the standard wheels are a touch heavy but I stuck with them). All I changed on it were tyres to 28mm gp4000's and a couple of disc pad replacements due to wear and tear. The hydraulic discs are excellent and overall based on your description of use, this bike will do very nicely

Joebristol | 6 years ago
0 likes

Was that the Tifosi andare Carbon tiagra you were going to link to? Wasn’t aware of that make but found a review or two that were positive about it. For me, as well as it being tiagra it’s got avid bb7 mechanical discs on it which isn’t something I fancy. I think they’re meant to be the best pure cable discs but I’ve had a go on a bike with them and was underwhelmed.

Appreciste the thought though - it looks quite nice and reviews suggest it’s in the right weight ballpark.

0 likes

There was meant to be a second link for a Tifosi but that's only a Tiagra too...

Joebristol | 6 years ago
0 likes

Good point about resale value of the Cannondale - I’m not sure what I’ll get for my Boardman - I’d be more confident of a good sale amount if it had Cannondale written on the down tube!

The GT grade mentioned above is quite heavy I think - although I’ll primarily commuting on it I go flat out and when it’s a sunny day with an odd hour or 2 I want  to see my racer and really want to go out on it. Wih mtb I often need 4 hours to get to a trail Centre / somewhere I want to ride off-road.

All the bikes I’m considering are 105 with hydraulic brakes and under 9kgs in weight. Just 2 are carbon and 1 is Aluminium.

pablo | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'd always go caad as they are great bikes i've ridden a few and have it's bigger brother and the differneces isn't as much as the marketing would have you think.  On the other hand if your not invested or in love with one particular brand I woulds go for spec. 

The Caad would probably have a higher resale value in the future i was looking for a used 10 or 12 frame  last year and some of the prices were silly.  

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

That cube looks fantastic with full 105 and hydraulic flat mounts!

All really good options though.

0 likes

I know nothing about the Cube, like yourself have always had good good Boardman experiences.

I have a Carbon Cannandale Synapse as best (rim brake 105) which is awesome - I'd never advise going on the wrong size though, there's no way back! I have a GT Grade AL 105 as my wet bike, if you want Carbon this is good value:

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/road-bikes/gt-grade-carbon-tiagra-2017-adventure-road-bike-grey_378774?origin=pla&kwd=&currency=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIycu31r2g2QIVAijTCh13xwMdEAkYAiABEgJ8O_D_BwE

As is:

A stunner - you're down to Tiagra though, not sure whether you could get them to upgrade  1

Latest Comments