Home

Hi, I found the said bike cam in the Hawarden area, on Saturday Jan 27th on the road up Tinkers Dale by Bilberry Wood.

Whoever's lost it will know its make, and on what day and at roughly what time they lost it. 
If you can supply those details I'll be happy to post it back to you. 
I'm sorry for picking it up, I only thought it was a rear light. If I'd realised its value I'd have left it for the owner or someone else to retrieve.

If you know someone in the area who's lost one, then give them a nudge please: from the footage on the camera I reckon they probably live within a 5 - 6 mile radius of where they lost it

13 comments

Avatar
wellsprop [725 posts] 2 weeks ago
1 like

Probably worth an ask on your local facebook pages and cycling clubs.

No luck there, then hand it in to the police.

Avatar
alansmurphy [1673 posts] 2 weeks ago
1 like

Bagsy is it a Fly 6

Avatar
HLaB [200 posts] 2 weeks ago
0 likes
alansmurphy wrote:

Bagsy is it a Fly 6

Or the Aldi one, I don't know if any other are on the market  7

Avatar
barod62 [2 posts] 2 weeks ago
6 likes

Nice try.  as you say, there aren't many on the market.

I' delighted to report that I've been able to identify the owner's place of work from the footage on the card, and it's going to be winging its way back to him shortly

Avatar
fenix [947 posts] 2 weeks ago
0 likes

Nice work. Any idea how it came off ?

Avatar
barod62 [2 posts] 2 weeks ago
3 likes
fenix wrote:

Nice work. Any idea how it came off ?

Thanks. It was indeed a Fly6 laugh but it looks to me like it was one of the early models, which I gather didn't have the best of fixings.  So I reckon it simply worked loose and fell off as the bike was juddering over not the smoothest of surfaces - that's how it looks on the camera footage.

Anyway it's now in the post en route to the owner - job well done smiley

Avatar
alansmurphy [1673 posts] 2 weeks ago
0 likes

Fair play to you sir, may the karma gods give you much kudos!

Avatar
Boatsie [113 posts] 1 week ago
0 likes

Are they legal in the UK? Australia doesn't allow rear footage on road vehicles unless only active when in reverse.

Avatar
hawkinspeter [1297 posts] 1 week ago
1 like
Boatsie wrote:

Are they legal in the UK? Australia doesn't allow rear footage on road vehicles unless only active when in reverse.

There's no laws to make them illegal in the UK, so you're good to go.

That sounds like a crazy law in Australia. Can you give us a pointer to it as it doesn't sound right to me. I can't think of any reason why a rear view camera would be illegal. I understand some states have issues with cameras on motorcycle helmets as it is changing the helmet from the original condition and thus could compromise the design.

Avatar
Boatsie [113 posts] 1 week ago
0 likes

Just hearsay as to why such law.
Might be due to privacy of chase occupancy.
Wouldn't want a good ol' pickNflick on YouTube. Lol

Avatar
OldRidgeback [2856 posts] 1 week ago
0 likes
hawkinspeter wrote:
Boatsie wrote:

Are they legal in the UK? Australia doesn't allow rear footage on road vehicles unless only active when in reverse.

There's no laws to make them illegal in the UK, so you're good to go.

That sounds like a crazy law in Australia. Can you give us a pointer to it as it doesn't sound right to me. I can't think of any reason why a rear view camera would be illegal. I understand some states have issues with cameras on motorcycle helmets as it is changing the helmet from the original condition and thus could compromise the design.

 

My nephew from Munich was telling me that dashcams and bike cameras are illegal in Germany too. He reckons it's because of some absurdly tough rules on privacy. I'm curious if anyone from Germany has any more insight on this?

Avatar
hawkinspeter [1297 posts] 1 week ago
0 likes
Boatsie wrote:

Just hearsay as to why such law. Might be due to privacy of chase occupancy. Wouldn't want a good ol' pickNflick on YouTube. Lol

I've had a good google around and can't find any evidence that rear (or front) dashcams are illegal in any Australian state, so I'm calling shenanigans on your hearsay.

The situation in Germany is much more confusing. Dashcams aren't necessarily illegal, but indiscriminate filming of people is considered an invasion of privacy, so you have to be careful to not film any passengers. Basically, in Germany you'd need a dashcam that only keeps a few seconds of video so that just the incident itself is recorded.

Avatar
Boatsie [113 posts] 1 week ago
0 likes
hawkinspeter wrote:
Boatsie wrote:

Just hearsay as to why such law. Might be due to privacy of chase occupancy. Wouldn't want a good ol' pickNflick on YouTube. Lol

I've had a good google around and can't find any evidence that rear (or front) dashcams are illegal in any Australian state, so I'm calling shenanigans on your hearsay.

The situation in Germany is much more confusing. Dashcams aren't necessarily illegal, but indiscriminate filming of people is considered an invasion of privacy, so you have to be careful to not film any passengers. Basically, in Germany you'd need a dashcam that only keeps a few seconds of video so that just the incident itself is recorded.

If you go to Jcar and purchase a reversing camera kit they will explain that the camera is only legal if bridged via the reverse indicator switch. It is illegal to have a backwards viewing camera (with or without recording) active whilst the vehicle is in forward motion.
We are allowed dash cams!
Call the pub. I know how bright the Irish can be, Shenanigan's having a pint with O'Rily.