Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Campagnolo Shamal DB wheelset

Hi all I’ve got around £800 to buy a new disc wheel set and have been looking at the Shamal DB wheels. 

Has anyone got a set of these who could offer me some advice or would anyone recommend any other wheel set?

Regards

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

matthewn5 | 6 years ago
0 likes

The steel spokes give a very nice lively feel to the Zondas, compared to the Shamals, but I don't notice much difference tbh as the frame and tyre pressures contribute so much. The Shamals have the bling factor though  3

LastBoyScout | 6 years ago
1 like

From conversations with a couple of very knowledgable people, the Zondas with an upgrade to CULT bearings might be the best wheel that Campag don't make.

They also have steel spokes rather than the alu ones on the Shamals, so a slight aero advantage there.

Chris Hayes | 6 years ago
0 likes

I ran a set of Shamals on my Colnago C50 - for a few months. I'd wanted a set for a couple of decades so bought some with ceramic bearings.  They looked beautiful and  performed beautifully on the smooth roads of Majorca, but were too stiff (for me) for the UK's gravelled surfaces and poorly repaired roads.  I replaced them, reluctantly, with handbuilt wheels:  Pete Matthews and Harry Rowland are the go to guys, it seems.  So unless you live in a part of the UK that somehow has Swiss roads rather than still making do with Roman ones, I'd consider handbuilt.  You'd get a very good set of wheels for GPB800. 

srchar | 6 years ago
1 like

I'd recommend you save yourself some cash and buy a pair of Zondas instead.  Comfier than the Shamals but still plenty stiff enough.

It has been said on here before but it bears repeating: you only need two wheelsets. Zondas for training and Boras for racing.

Alessandro | 6 years ago
1 like

I've got the non-disc versions on my better bike and they've been great, as have the other two Campag wheelsets that I've owned: a set of Eurus which lasted me for 4 years and more than 20,000km before the rims wore and the Zondas which have replaced them. Campag wheels are known for being pretty bombproof and that's something that I've certainly found since I've never had to get any of them trued despite throwing them over Scottish potholes. 

I'm soon to buy a new bike with disc brakes to replace the one with the Zondas and it doesn't come with Campag wheels. However, that will be one of the things I'll look to change over within the first couple of years once my beer tokens have recovered. 

Latest Comments