Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Favourite mitts?

Although I have a multitude of long finger gloves I have only ever owned one pair of short, altura crochet, and I've gone and lost them. Was pretty happy with them but variety is the spice of life and all. Looking for something about £30 or less, probably with a bit of padding.

Guessing there'll a few posters who have a pair for each day of the week so recommend away please!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

I used to ride long distances with just leather palmed gloves, no gel or anything, did my first sizeable tour over 700 miles with same in 1990. I think some newer gloves are great but to be honest I can't say there's been a stark improvement over the last 30 years.

Summer gloves I'm using a pair of well worn Altura's, the padding is pretty flattened out, I have some limited edition Shimano Dura Ace Gloves which were team issue only IIRC, only wear them for special rides but they are bloody lovely and very comfortable.

Have tried loads from Campagnolo, Specialized, Gore, latterly Castelli (poor quality) and Carnac which are love/hate, excellent padding, crap magnetic closure.

Still have a pair of old skool leather palmed gloves for riding my 1950s Carlton in the summer.

step83 replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

I used to ride long distances with just leather palmed gloves, no gel or anything, did my first sizeable tour over 700 miles with same in 1990. I think some newer gloves are great but to be honest I can't say there's been a stark improvement over the last 30 years.

Summer gloves I'm using a pair of well worn Altura's, the padding is pretty flattened out, I have some limited edition Shimano Dura Ace Gloves which were team issue only IIRC, only wear them for special rides but they are bloody lovely and very comfortable.

Have tried loads from Campagnolo, Specialized, Gore, latterly Castelli (poor quality) and Carnac which are love/hate, excellent padding, crap magnetic closure.

Still have a pair of old skool leather palmed gloves for riding my 1950s Carlton in the summer.

These may tick the box for old school leathers, I have a pair love them but you end up with some daft tan marks, great in late spring though

http://www.caratti.cc/cycle-clothing/caratti-brooklands-classic-cochet-g...

Bar those I have been using some Louis Garneau BioGels which seem to keep my hands happy enough, an no funny tan lines.

bikercub | 6 years ago
0 likes

I swear by Hirzl Tour gloves. I like the FF (full finger) version but they also make a short fingered (SF) version. 

http://hirzl.com/index.php/en/bike-en/grippp-tour-sf-en

They use kangaroo leather, which is really comfy and has loads of grip when wet. No more slippery brake levers!

ktache | 6 years ago
0 likes

Bit off tangent, but anyone know if anyone makes a long finger very lightweight glove with pittards leather palm?  Sometimes pearl izumi do it, but they seem to have an on/off relationship with pittards.  I know that clarino wears better but the grip of pittards is fantastic.

Beecho | 6 years ago
0 likes

Castelli Arenburg. Have 2 pairs and probably clocked up 3,000 plus miles on them. They are VERY padded though.

matthewn5 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm still going after 5 years with a pair of those Giro mitts with pittards leather palms and mesh on the back. Brilliant quality and comfortable, close-fitting so you forget they're on.

ConcordeCX replied to matthewn5 | 6 years ago
0 likes

matthewn5 wrote:

I'm still going after 5 years with a pair of those Giro mitts with pittards leather palms and mesh on the back. Brilliant quality and comfortable, close-fitting so you forget they're on.

I had a pair of those, really liked them. They lasted two years until the mesh rotted through. I have some similar ones from Lizard Skins now, which are very good, and were cheaper than the Giro, as well as some leather Rapha ones, which are also good.

part_robot | 6 years ago
0 likes

Specialized Grail. They have the padding in the exact opposite place you'd expect - on the palm only - and are bloody comfy. The Assos summer mitt is great too if you like padding in the normal places.

Rapha Nadal replied to part_robot | 6 years ago
0 likes

part_robot wrote:

Specialized Grail. They have the padding in the exact opposite place you'd expect - on the palm only - and are bloody comfy. The Assos summer mitt is great too if you like padding in the normal places.

I really, really wanted to like the Grail's but after numerous rides with totally numb hands I had to get rid.  Shame as they looked really good and were a great fit!

Rapha Pro Team gets my vote as there's no padding on the palm which suits me down to the ground.

mike the bike | 6 years ago
0 likes

Try Lizard Skins mitts, lovely soft leather with exactly enough padding and they last, unless you lose them.

Spangly Shiny replied to mike the bike | 6 years ago
0 likes

mike the bike wrote:

Try Lizard Skins mitts, lovely soft leather with exactly enough padding and they last, unless you lose them.

+1 for the Lizard Skins (La Sal 1)

andyp | 6 years ago
1 like

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear-retro-tech-short-finger-cycling-g...

Hard as nails, comfortable as anything, and make for the ultimate cycling tan.

Dnnnnnn | 6 years ago
0 likes

Never had any issue with the £3-£4 pairs that Aldi and Lidl have in every so often (inc. on long rides). They look alright, are made well enough, decently padded, and fairly durable.

Why spend more? Definitely worth having as spares, even if not your main pair.

The Rake | 6 years ago
0 likes

Giro here too, but I've lost one and am very annoyed. The Sportful pair in reserve are okay too

peted76 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Giro mitts for me, on my third pair now, great fit and feel. 

mrml | 6 years ago
0 likes

Giro Monaco for me. Really nice fit and lovely quality sheep leather palm.

Butty | 6 years ago
0 likes

Endura FS260 Pro Aerogel gloves.

I have a cupboard of discarded mitts that always end up giving me numb hands and the fingers holes ride up. These are the first that I can wear all day.

Drawback is the gel pads have a cheese grater covering that rips my bar tape up.

Woldsman replied to Butty | 6 years ago
1 like

Butty wrote:

I have a cupboard of discarded mitts that always end up giving me numb hands and the fingers holes ride up. These are the first that I can wear all day.

Drawback is the gel pads have a cheese grater covering that rips my bar tape up.

+1 although my FS260 mitts don’t seem to damage the bar tape. 

LastBoyScout replied to Woldsman | 6 years ago
0 likes

Woldsman wrote:

Butty wrote:

+1 although my FS260 mitts don’t seem to damage the bar tape. 

Another vote for these and I don't have any problem with them on any of my bar tapes.

My old pair are a pair of Specalized BG gel mitts and they're also very good.

Latest Comments