Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Islabike vs. Self Build

My daughter has been happily cycling on her Islabike Beinn 20 (small) for the last few years but at the end of this year I think it may be time to move on. She loves the purple colour of her current bike but wants to move to a drop bar bike like Daddy and Islabike do not do the Luath in purple.

So as she is desperate for another purple bike (and I want her to love her bike) that would probably mean me having to respray the bike. That got me to thinking, if I am having to do that, then what is stopping me from buying an alternative cheaper second hand drop bar bike (Apollo Tempo / Procycle Tour can be had for £50-£90) and building it up with the better components that I already have.

It also enables me to let her ride the bike a little pre-upgrade to make sure she likes drop bars before committing.

So my question is, am I mad for considering taking this route? What are the disadvantages? Is there some alternative that I had not considered?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

25 comments

peted76 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I think this is a facinating project you're doing. However I still think you'll be far better off buying an Isla and getting it wrapped or sprayed. 

You could look at putting gears on a BMX? 

Weight of a Isla Bennin 20 is about 8kg, the 24 is 9kg by the way, it's quite probable that you could do all of the fettling above and still end up with a bike which weighs more and rides worse than an off the shelf bike. 

kil0ran | 6 years ago
0 likes

How tall is she? Kinesis adult bikes go down to 45cm frames?

ClubSmed replied to kil0ran | 6 years ago
0 likes

kil0ran wrote:

How tall is she? Kinesis adult bikes go down to 45cm frames?

She is currently just 122cm tall but this build is going to be for her birthday in 10 months time so she should be around 127cm by then

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
1 like

Fail, mine was Henry Burton not HH.

She loves it, I love it, so much so they could chop my legs off:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/junior-road-bike/1275324864

peted76 | 6 years ago
1 like

I think the 'wrap idea' is a good one.. you can get her involved in the 'design of the wrap' she could have anything her imagination desired.. and it's 1) be cheaper than a respray 2) protect the paint for resale value 

Drinfinity | 6 years ago
0 likes

If you go for a cheap kids frame as the heart of the build, the geometry is likely to be horrible. For example, Apollo bikes on a size claimed suitable for 7 - 9 year olds have 20” wheels. On the other hand, our very small 9 year old is midway through the range of a Luath 24. 

A junk frame with a 105 group on it is still a junk bike.

If you go for a Luath, you can still have the joy of stripping it right back (BB comes out really easily even on the one I replaced on a third hand Luath 26), polishing every part, putting on funky bar tape (leopard on ours), new cables in a matching colour, and of course the lush purple frame. 

Now you’ve got me thinking about it, I might strip and spray the 26 when it gets handed down...

ClubSmed replied to Drinfinity | 6 years ago
0 likes

Drinfinity wrote:

If you go for a cheap kids frame as the heart of the build, the geometry is likely to be horrible. For example, Apollo bikes on a size claimed suitable for 7 - 9 year olds have 20” wheels. On the other hand, our very small 9 year old is midway through the range of a Luath 24. 

Apollo bikes claim that the 24" is suitable for 8-11 year olds which would fit with what you say about your 9 year old being halfway through that size.

Drinfinity wrote:

A junk frame with a 105 group on it is still a junk bike.

Maybe, but the bike I keep at my parents (for quick blasts while visiting) is just a cheap Carrera tdf and I do get a lot of fun riding while I'm down there (and the hills are more challenging there).

Drinfinity wrote:

If you go for a Luath, you can still have the joy of stripping it right back (BB comes out really easily even on the one I replaced on a third hand Luath 26), polishing every part, putting on funky bar tape (leopard on ours), new cables in a matching colour, and of course the lush purple frame. 

Now you’ve got me thinking about it, I might strip and spray the 26 when it gets handed down...

If I get a bike that is already great I am less inclined to strip it down though.

Not an exact science but I have compared images (scaled to the same size) of the 24" Islabike/Procycle/Apollo and measured the lines to compare geometry.

kil0ran | 6 years ago
1 like

I'm going the self-build route, from a Beinn 24 to a Giovanissimi frame (sold until recently by PlanetX). Lovely bright red frame, caliper brakes, hydroformed tubes, feels light.

My thinking is to start with him on flats and then eventually end up on drops, but at the rate he's growing he'll be on a 43cm/650 standard frame soon from someone like Kinesis.

Hoping to involve him in building it up, or at least get him to strip down the Islabike (its being cannibalised due to an unfortunate roof rack/car park barrier incident)

Just one thing to bear in mind - the Islabikes use mini-v brakes, if the replacement frame takes caliper brakes you'll need to change the levers (looks like you're going to do that anyway) as the pull is different. Not sure 105 levers will play nice with Mini-V's so make sure the frame takes calipers.

I asked around the main kid's bike manufacturers when I crushed the Islabike and none of them will sell you a frameset, which monumentally sucks from a recycling perspective. Islabikes will give you a discretionary discount on a replacement frame but you have to provide a purchase receipt for the original and evidence that you've destroyed the damaged frame.

Whilst it won't solve the purple requirement, don't discount Charge or Genesis or even Forme in your search, all make good bikes that rival the usual Islabikes/Frog options.

Simon E | 6 years ago
0 likes

If cheap bikes had the same geometry as Islabikes then the latter wouldn't still be in business. In fact Isla may never have needed to start in the first place.

https://www.islabikes.co.uk/knowledge/why-islabikes/holistic-design/

Apollo bikes are stupidly heavy and have rubbish components. Even after you've sourced proper cranks, bars, grips and so on you'll wonder why you bothered. You can't polish a turd.

+1 to what Drinfinity said - either get one sprayed or just find a colour you find acceptable. She will grow to love it, kids adapt to change very well. If you don't mind using Facebook then the PREOWNED ISLABIKES FOR SALE and Islabikes Community groups are worth joining.

ClubSmed replied to Simon E | 6 years ago
0 likes

Simon E wrote:

If cheap bikes had the same geometry as Islabikes then the latter wouldn't still be in business. In fact Isla may never have needed to start in the first place.

https://www.islabikes.co.uk/knowledge/why-islabikes/holistic-design/

Apollo bikes are stupidly heavy and have rubbish components. Even after you've sourced proper cranks, bars, grips and so on you'll wonder why you bothered. You can't polish a turd.

+1 to what Drinfinity said - either get one sprayed or just find a colour you find acceptable. She will grow to love it, kids adapt to change very well. If you don't mind using Facebook then the PREOWNED ISLABIKES FOR SALE and Islabikes Community groups are worth joining.

You may be on to something with regards to the geometry on an Islabike vs Apollo/Procycle, I will try and do a little research as to the difference.

I believe that the majority of the weight on Apollo bikes are down to the cheap components (esp. wheels), and on the really cheap end of the spectrum, steel frames. I think I could shave a good amount off the weight and get close to Islabike weights (I have been following a thread doing something similar to a Carrera Blast kids mountain bike).

This is not about trying to get an Islabike equivalent cheap, as has been pointed out, it is probably going to cost more than just buying a 2nd hand Islabike. This is about quality parent/child time and creating a bike together that she is really invested in and can be really proud of.

Simon E replied to ClubSmed | 6 years ago
1 like

ClubSmed wrote:

I believe that the majority of the weight on Apollo bikes are down to the cheap components (esp. wheels), and on the really cheap end of the spectrum, steel frames.

The 2 Apollo 'alloy' bikes we have in our household are really, really heavy. And it's not all in the components; the 26" wheels aren't that heavy, they're just poor quality.

This sounds more like a project for you more than your daughter (though I'm not suggesting that's a bad thing).

0 likes

Simon E wrote:

ClubSmed wrote:

I believe that the majority of the weight on Apollo bikes are down to the cheap components (esp. wheels), and on the really cheap end of the spectrum, steel frames.

The 2 Apollo 'alloy' bikes we have in our household are really, really heavy. And it's not all in the components; the 26" wheels aren't that heavy, they're just poor quality.

This sounds more like a project for you more than your daughter (though I'm not suggesting that's a bad thing).

I have taken on board your points and now discounted the Apollo from my list of possible donors. Still on the list are:

Procycle 24 Tour (still searching for weight details so may be removed shortly)
Triban 3 Junior
Giovanissimi (Planet X kids frame now discontinued)

If I can get a messy one for silly money then maybe:

Formeula Road 24
Moda Minor
Cuda CP24R
Dawes 24 Academy CX
Luath 24

It may end up being a project more for me than my daughter, but at the moment I am hoping that she will get heavily involved and result in her being very invested in the end product and a passion for cycling to rival mine.

0 likes

Simon E wrote:

ClubSmed wrote:

I am following a thread where a guy is stripping back a "Carrera blast 24" to rebuild it with better/lighter kit. In it he says about the weight:

"Before I got out the tools I weighed it: the complete bike weighs 13.7kg, 5kg of that being the wheels."

Once he stripped it he weighed the frame at 1.78kg with the headset which I did not think is that bad and should easily be able to build a sub 10kg kids bike from there.

When he investigated the wheels:

"2.5kg a wheel seemed rather excessive, removing the tyres and tubes (apparently made of a black flexible form of lead), rotors (looks and rusts like steel, but also a lead-iron alloy), and cassette (some rust but a serviceable 7 speed) bought the scales down to 0.9kg (front) and 1.1kg (rear)."

That was the basis of my assumption that "the majority of the weight on Apollo bikes are down to the cheap components (esp. wheels)"

I have discounted the Apollo bike now, but because of the fork it has rather than concerns over weight

ConcordeCX | 6 years ago
3 likes

Why not ask Islabikes if they'll do one in purple for you? or a special run - there must be a lot of people who'd like a purple bike.

Morat | 6 years ago
0 likes

Wrap is a good plan - and you'll have a sparkling Islabike to move on when the time comes.

Ebay has loads.

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
1 like

How old is she?

I found an amazing Harry Hall (47cm I think) on Gumtree, almost sparkling new. Whilst looking on eBay etc there were the odd bargains, some in great condition, some not so. I was limited by a lack of driving and not knowing the exact size (she seemed a bit in between). Boardman do some good kids bikes and Halfords Wiggins are ok.

As for colours, there are wrap options too, or some good stickers for a white/chrome/black bike to add the purple magic!

ClubSmed replied to alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

alansmurphy wrote:

How old is she?

I found an amazing Harry Hall (47cm I think) on Gumtree, almost sparkling new. Whilst looking on eBay etc there were the odd bargains, some in great condition, some not so. I was limited by a lack of driving and not knowing the exact size (she seemed a bit in between). Boardman do some good kids bikes and Halfords Wiggins are ok.

As for colours, there are wrap options too, or some good stickers for a white/chrome/black bike to add the purple magic!

She's 7 and this would be a project for her 8th birthday in November.

Great shout on the wrap option, I'll look into this

ChasP | 6 years ago
2 likes

The best thing about Islabikes is the way they hold their value, even if you build a better spec bike yourself it will still be worth a lot less than even a resprayed Islabike in a year or 2 when she's outgrown it. Buy a 2nd hand Islabike, upgrade if you wish (keep the original parts for when you sell it) and you'll hardly lose anything  1

Drinfinity | 6 years ago
4 likes

I would still go Luath, and I would love to see a purple one, so please post pics when it’s done. 

The frame geometry is so much better designed than anything else. It tends to be better optimised for a bigger wheel, better Q factor, and is the heart of the bike. I had occasion to lift a fleet of kids bikes over two gates recently,  and the Luath were all much lighter. 

You could get an old scratched red one fairly cheap, and have a spectacular pro respray, and still put some of your upgrade bits on. It would look awesome.  There’s one on Ebay now fully loaded with guards, rack, cage, spare tyres. Not sure I’d bother with a triple chainring though. Watch a kids cross or circuit race, and most of the parents are shouting ‘change up’ or ‘change down’, whilst the kids go round basically on a singlespeed.

Your estimate for frame, forks, wheels and chain set is £190 - you could get a fair Luath 24 for that. 

Rod Marton | 6 years ago
3 likes

My daughter rides a Luath and has a similar purple fixation, whch I managed to satisfy with a purple cycling jersey and purple bar tape. As I got the bike second hand she didn't have any choice about the frame colour. Do you think that would be sufficient for your daughter?

Seriously, the big advantage of Islabikes is that they design very child-friendly bikes, and any cheap frame you get is unlikely to be so child-friendly. Specifically it will be heavier and the controls more difficult to use - even on he Luath my daughter finds it difficult to reach the brake levers and uses the top mount levers exclusively. One specific issue will be the cranks, unless you get them drilled 105 cranks will almost certainly be too long, and using a triple chainset will mean that the Q factor will be too large. So the experience of cycling will be less pleasant. Hopefully it won't put her off drop bars entirely, but...

Personally I'd go straight to the Luath, the self-build is going to be expensive and time-consuming for what it is. If the worst comes to the worst and she doesn't get on with it, resale values are pretty good.

ClubSmed replied to Rod Marton | 6 years ago
1 like

Rod Marton wrote:

My daughter rides a Luath and has a similar purple fixation, whch I managed to satisfy with a purple cycling jersey and purple bar tape. As I got the bike second hand she didn't have any choice about the frame colour. Do you think that would be sufficient for your daughter?

Seriously, the big advantage of Islabikes is that they design very child-friendly bikes, and any cheap frame you get is unlikely to be so child-friendly. Specifically it will be heavier and the controls more difficult to use - even on he Luath my daughter finds it difficult to reach the brake levers and uses the top mount levers exclusively. One specific issue will be the cranks, unless you get them drilled 105 cranks will almost certainly be too long, and using a triple chainset will mean that the Q factor will be too large. So the experience of cycling will be less pleasant. Hopefully it won't put her off drop bars entirely, but...

Personally I'd go straight to the Luath, the self-build is going to be expensive and time-consuming for what it is. If the worst comes to the worst and she doesn't get on with it, resale values are pretty good.

Thanks for that, it is good to know that others have dealt with colour fixated children and managed to get past it.

I know the 105 cranks would be too large, I would either use the ones that came on the donor bike or upgrade to the triple

Although the self build would be time consuming but if I can get the little one interested in the build and maintenance then it will be worth it.

As for purple bar tape, it is a great idea but I am not sure if it would be enough unless I could get a plain grey bike but I think that was a special edition bike so chances are slim.

peted76 | 6 years ago
1 like

I think it's a great idea... the important bit on kids bikes are kid sized contact points.. so if you've got them you're laughing I'd say (you might need to reconsider the shifters though...)

ClubSmed replied to peted76 | 6 years ago
0 likes

peted76 wrote:

I think it's a great idea... the important bit on kids bikes are kid sized contact points.. so if you've got them you're laughing I'd say (you might need to reconsider the shifters though...)

I know what you are saying about the shifters and had the same concerns, but when looking at the Luath Pro they seem to use the Ultegra ones. So I am assuming that if the reach adjustment in the Ultegra is OK then 105 should be OK too.

Drinfinity replied to ClubSmed | 6 years ago
0 likes

ClubSmed wrote:

I know what you are saying about the shifters and had the same concerns, but when looking at the Luath Pro they seem to use the Ultegra ones. So I am assuming that if the reach adjustment in the Ultegra is OK then 105 should be OK too.

Regarding front mech - get your daughter to try shifting the front on your bike, and see if she can manage. My younger one still finds it tricky to change down the cassette on the Luath 24.

ClubSmed | 6 years ago
0 likes

To give a little more insight into this...

Items that I have lying around that could be utilised for such a project include:
Full 105 groupset
Fi'zi:k Performance bar tape
Various Pedals
Islabike Beinn saddle

Items that would need to be purchased:
Frame and Fork (cheap childrens road bike) ~£70
Mudguards ~£10
Decals ~£20
Respray (~£30 if I do it myself) ~£80
24" Wheelset ~£95
Chainset ~£25

So it would look like I would be paying between £250-£300 to do this project depending on who does the respray. The end result would be specs that look something like this:

Latest Comments