Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wheel Upgrade...will I notice the difference up hills?

Hi,

I'm a medium weight (70kg) rider and regularly do a few hills around Surrey, UK. 

I'm thinking of upgrading my hoops from Shimano RS11s (came with Scott Solace 30) to either Zonda C17 or Fulcrum Racing 3 wheelset. Both sets are ~400g lighter than the RS11s and cost around £300 (~ twice the price of the RS11s).

Before I splash out just wondered if anyone else has made a similar upgrade and if so, will I notice any difference from the stock wheels, especially up hills?

Some research suggests the difference may be marginal and not worth the effort / cost.

Any recommendations welcome.

Cheers all,

Steve

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

42 comments

LastBoyScout | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've got 2 sets of wheels for one of my bikes, a set of Bontrager Race that I use for commuting and winter training and a set of Race X-Lites that I use as "best" wheels.

The Race X-lites are also around 400g lighter (iirc) than the Race - I've no idea how much of that is a saving in the rim or in the hub, though,

In practice, the RXLs spin up much quicker than the Rs when getting away from junctions and so on and "feel" much quicker overall, but there's also other factors at work, such as newer bearings and racier tyres on the RXLs.

Nat Jas Moe | 6 years ago
0 likes

Simple answer: Yes, but it may be all in the mind. I upgraded recently and notice the difference, it may be only perceived and not real but it's there all the same.

Ad Hynkel | 6 years ago
0 likes

I went from a 2.1Kg set to 1.6Kg. I noticed the difference in acceleration when trying to put a bit of pace back into a climb, usually around the 7-8 minute mark... So I get marginally quicker times, probably as much because I feel the reward at those brief moments of acceleration and psychologically that helps keep me +ve over the duration of a 15-20 minute climb. I am still piss poor at climbing compared to many of the local club riders though! But that's fine, I am no racer.

DaSy | 6 years ago
0 likes

I am a real wheel-whore and love expensive wheels, but in reality they don't make much difference.

The thing with lighter wheels accelerating  quicker is that they also decelerate more quickly, a heavier wheel will hold onto that speed for longer, so it is all swings-and-roundabouts. That feeling of a lighter wheel being more nippy is real but very insignificant in the context of a whole ride.

iandusud | 6 years ago
0 likes

Lighter wheels and tyres certianly make a bike feel faster, almost certainly because they accelerate better. How much this equates to in reality I don't know but there's nothing like the feel of a good set of wheels/tyres. I remember when I built myself a set of tubular wheels back in the 80s. The difference in feel of my bike with those wheels over my stock 700cs with 23mm tyres was very noticeable both in terms of speed and ride quality. I suspect that now as rim and tyre technology have improved that the differences are less. However I do like to keep wheels and tyres as light as is reasonble. My personal preference for tyres is GP4000s 25s and my winter bike has a set of Ulteegra wheels (1600g) and my summer bike at set DT Swiss wheels (1400g). Don't forget to experiment with tyre pressures. Experience has taught me that on the sort of roads I ride on it is easy to over-inflate tyres to the point where the ride becomes harsh and slower. Get the pressures right and the bike glides over the road surface. I weigh around 70 kg and generally run my tyres at around 60/70 psi front/rear.

joeegg | 6 years ago
0 likes

I swapped out some DT's for a pair of Racing 3's. The Fulcrums were marginally heavier but felt way better on the road due to the stiffness. You could even say a bit harsh but I'll take that in return for performance.

So maybe weight isn't the big issue,but I've been riding a bike that's had a 2kg and 1.6kg wheelset on it. It is definitely slower and harder work uphill with the heavier wheelset.

I know its claimed that the lower weight really only counts on acceleration but cyclists do accelerate quite frequently on climbs .

ktache | 6 years ago
3 likes

New bits make you go faster, new, shiny bits even faster and new, shiny, expensive bits make you go faster still.  If you can always upgrade.  She deserves it.

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
2 likes

I think some physics revision is needed...

Rotational mass and iniertia are insignificant!

http://www.biketechreview.com/reviews/wheels/63-wheel-performance

http://road.cc/content/feature/194441-cycling-myths-busted-da-vinci-dead...

Rotational mass and inertia are only of any significance when accelerating very quickly (like a sprint from standing start). Once you start moving above about 15mph then aerodynamics is by far the most important factor.

Even on climbs, weight isn't as important as it is made out to be. Yes, when you are going slowly, on a steep gradient, weight is more important than aerodynamics. But, as soon as it gets flatter or you are moving quickly, then aerodynamics is back to being the dominant force.

Losing weight off the bike isn't very important, in terms of physics  (however, I do agree it can make a bike feel better). If you weigh 75kg and have a 10kg bike losing 500 grams off the bike has a 0.5% reduction on total weight.

Just switching from riding on the hoods to the drops can give a reduction of 0.02 in CdA, which would be a reduction of aerodynamic drag by around 6% (this would be around 0.5mph increase at 190 watts).

So, whilst I agree that some super lightweight wheels will save you a few seconds on a hill climb, just switching from hoods to drops can increase your speed by 0.5mph over your entire ride.

If you really want to get faster, get flexible, get low.

As I said right at the beginning though, Campag Zondas are a lovely lightweight set of wheels that look awesome too! They "felt" better when I upgraded to them - I won't suggest they will make any significant time gains though  1 Fulcrums are nice too.

part_robot replied to Canyon48 | 6 years ago
3 likes

wellsprop wrote:

Just switching from riding on the hoods to the drops can give a reduction of 0.02 in CdA, which would be a reduction of aerodynamic drag by around 6% (this would be around 0.5mph increase at 190 watts).

Well, achoolyeee I think you'll find you're better off on the hoods  ... http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1754337114549876?journalCode...

Canyon48 replied to part_robot | 6 years ago
1 like

part_robot wrote:

wellsprop wrote:

Well, achoolyeee I think you'll find you're better off on the hoods  ... http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1754337114549876?journalCode...

I don't have access to sage journals  2 

I read the abstract, the hoods can be better assuming you have horizontal forearms. This has been shown a couple times previously, from what I can remember...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVT3Wk_2j5g

Arms horizontal is the best as it's sustainable for a long time, full horizontal arms on the drops isnt sustainable.

madcarew replied to Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

wellsprop wrote:

part_robot wrote:

wellsprop wrote:

I don't have access to sage journals  2 

I read the abstract, the hoods can be better assuming you have horizontal forearms. This has been shown a couple times previously, from what I can remember...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVT3Wk_2j5g

Arms horizontal is the best as it's sustainable for a long time, full horizontal arms on the drops isnt sustainable.

Resting forearms on the handlebars and riding with hadns clasped together gives almost the same power savings as being on tri bars. With practise it is sustainable for considerable periods of time. 

Langsam | 6 years ago
2 likes

I would suggest that your faster times are due to 5% weight and 95% improved rolling resistance/aerodynamics.

jimbobule | 6 years ago
0 likes

400g wheel weight difference = 0.7 mph average speed gain over 30 miles and 1 "extra" gear

400g tyre weight reduction = another 0.5mph average speed gain over 30 miles and 1 "extra" gear

So yes, reducing rotational mass has a noticeable effect. Buy cheaper lighter wheels if you can. I got some Prime wheels...good so far

ChrisB200SX replied to jimbobule | 6 years ago
2 likes

jimbobule wrote:

400g wheel weight difference = 0.7 mph average speed gain over 30 miles and 1 "extra" gear

400g tyre weight reduction = another 0.5mph average speed gain over 30 miles and 1 "extra" gear

So yes, reducing rotational mass has a noticeable effect. Buy cheaper lighter wheels if you can. I got some Prime wheels...good so far

Where did you get those stats from?

I assure you that saving those 800 grams will not make you 1.2mph faster... Especially if you are going uphill.

If you average say 18mph, then averaging 19.2mph will require nearly 13.8% more power to overcome the extra drag (doesn't even include the extra rolling resistance you need to overcome)... or equivalent reduction in drag. Where would generate such an impressive increase in power from? It's certainly not from the wheels.

jimbobule replied to ChrisB200SX | 6 years ago
0 likes

ChrisB200SX wrote:

jimbobule wrote:

Where did you get those stats from?

I assure you that saving those 800 grams will not make you 1.2mph faster... Especially if you are going uphill.

If you average say 18mph, then averaging 19.2mph will require nearly 13.8% more power to overcome the extra drag (doesn't even include the extra rolling resistance you need to overcome)... or equivalent reduction in drag. Where would generate such an impressive increase in power from? It's certainly not from the wheels.

From strava. Moving from 2050g to 1640g wheelset and from 32mm 419g + tubes gravel tyres to 28mm Pro 4 Endurance slicks at 290g + tubes.

Not only weight at play..

ChrisB200SX | 6 years ago
2 likes

Try spinning a wheel with your hand. Pretty easy, isn't it. Rotational inertia is fairly minimal, you won't be saving much.
Much as it's nice to save a bit of weight, half a kilo really won't make much difference, generally. But something a bit more aero will, you won't really notice it, but you might realise you go a little faster in Strava segments? Aero wheels will probably be about the same weight as what you were looking to purchase anyway.

I bought an RS11 wheelset for £80 and a set of RS31 with 30mm depth rims for a litle over £100, both have different bladed spokes (RS11 seems more aerofoil shaped, RS31 spokes seem flat and square-edged). Bargain wheels but I've never used either set in over 3 years, after lots of researching I realised spending a bit more on aero wheels was much wiser. I'll probably keep the RS31 for the cheaper carbon bike when the RS501 go in the bin or onto the cheap Longforme Alu frame and carbon fork bought for just over £100.

I choose "free speed" all day long, unless you traverse mountains on a daily basis?

I've not seen any aero tests but OVAL wheels look fairly aero, they might be affordable. Otherwise I recommend importing a couple of FLO30 wheels. $498. Postage and import duty really add to the price though.
http://www.flocycling.com/wheels_rear_flo_30.php

steve_s1 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Appreciate all the comments...lot’s to consider.

Regarding the weight saving, I know it’s a small % of overall weight, but my understanding was that weight saved on wheels is more significant than elsewhere because it’s rotational mass...but my physics is a bit rusty, so not sure if this true or not!

downhiller replied to steve_s1 | 6 years ago
1 like

steve_s1 wrote:

Regarding the weight saving, I know it’s a small % of overall weight, but my understanding was that weight saved on wheels is more significant than elsewhere because it’s rotational mass...but my physics is a bit rusty, so not sure if this true or not!

Rotational mass is certainly important, but mostly when you're accelerating it by increasing your speed.  On a climb you'll *mostly* be at a steady speed, so you won't notice it as much as you would, say, in sprinting off the front of the pack.

Acm replied to steve_s1 | 6 years ago
1 like
steve_s1 wrote:

Rotational mass only has an effect when accelerating when the speed of the wheel is changing; ie, when you accelerate. I once worked out the difference for a 70kg rider on a 7 kg bike accelerating from standing (no air resistance when not moving, so all power goes into acceleration, making these effects as big as they could ever be) if you took 400g off EACH rim. It came out at about 0.8%.

The only other improvement you can (theoretically) expect to see is climbing, but the fact that the weight is at the wheels doesn't have any special effect if you're at a constant speed, and as someone else has said, the percentage weight saving is tiny.

Your best bet, for going faster (and looking bling), is some deeper wheels. The aerodynamic benefit will help you whenever you're moving, not just when you're going uphill or accelerating

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks PR and CRX, my top machine is £1800 worth sourced at a third of that hence my thoughts on what I'd spend on a gadget.

The HR made an unbelievable difference to my MV training and taught me a lot. How long I could work in which zone, what gradient tends to put me there etc. Allowed me massively to pace the giant and even since I've pretty much ignore the speed and average speed, I work on whether I've spent the time.

My smart(ish) turbo has calculated power so I might start having a play, with cheapening tech a one arm pm may start to drop to 'acceptable' levels  1

pjm60 | 6 years ago
5 likes

weight before = 70kg + 8.1kg = 78.1kg

weight after = 70kg = 7.7kg = 77.7kg

percentage saving = 0.512%

actual effect = marginal

placebo effect = priceless

Damonw207 | 6 years ago
0 likes

The gains are minimal, but if you want better looking wheels and don't mind splashing the cash, go for it!

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

£300 will get you some pro-lite Bortola wheels (17.3mm internal), or a set of DT Swiss 370 straight pull (28/24) mounted to DT swiss 460 rims (18mm internal) shimano variant is 1620g.
Less weight will make a difference but it's often difficult to notice how much, better tyres, change in pressures, better bearings can all add a little, marginal gains and all that.
And all defeated because the wind changed direction.lol

Supers79 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I went from RS010s to the Zonda C17s, I did notice a difference, improved times up hills and no stopping half way up some pretty steep ones. Could all be in the mind though! You will notice the difference in when you select your usual low gear and you end up lifting the front wheel off the road! They also give a slight buzz which is always enjoyable to hear. 

I’m just under 90kg, have done a around  1000 miles on them with no problems. My choice was between them and the Fulcrums too, but the Zonda’s looked classier and I know a few people who have had problems with the Fulcrum hubs. 

Daveyraveygravey | 6 years ago
1 like

I don't know if you will feel any difference.  If you forget your water bottle one day, does the ride feel any different?  As others have said, the way the more expensive wheels are bit and what they are made from may have more effect in what you feel. 

philhubbard | 6 years ago
0 likes

I switched from some stock alloy wheels to carbon and then back to these https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/cero-ar30-evo-wheelset-2100 they were the same weight as my carbon wheels, same depth, tubless compatible and better braking!

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
3 likes

Tbh, you won't notice a MASSIVE difference uphill - really that's down to raw power.-correct

Work out the 400g saving in percentage terms of your weight + the bikes overall weight, that will give you an indication of how much you'll notice the difference.

Now, the placebo affect will be enormous because you've spent some money on upgrading.

madcarew | 6 years ago
3 likes

No, you won't notice a difference that is due to the weight. You may notice other improvements though.

Russell Orgazoid | 6 years ago
2 likes

No, It's rhetoric. The benefits are small.

Spend the cash on a power meter instead. WAY more useful.

On a long climb (30 mins plus) wheels may save seconds.

The power meter can save you MINUTES.

ibr17xvii replied to Russell Orgazoid | 6 years ago
0 likes

Plasterer's Radio wrote:

No, It's rhetoric. The benefits are small.

Spend the cash on a power meter instead. WAY more useful.

On a long climb (30 mins plus) wheels may save seconds.

The power meter can save you MINUTES.

Not many of those in Surrey though although I know what you're driving at.

Pages

Latest Comments