Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Worth thinking outside the Campag box?

After well over 7000 miles of sterling service my chain's on its last legs so I'm looking at a new one, plus cassette and chainrings of course. They're all Campag Centaur (compact carbon).

I know much less than I should about these things but I was wondering if it's worth looking outside Campag for chainrings. I gather TA rings are as good, a little bit cheaper and a bit more durable. Is that right? I think they also come in single tooth increments, which I like the sound of. Is there a downside? I've been assuming I'll have to stick with Campag for the chain and cassette but perhaps this isn't true...?

Any advice much appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

Martin Thomas | 13 years ago
0 likes

Thanks - I'll look into the chain thing. But the rings definitely need changing - at least the big one does. The teeth are all getting very pointy and shark fin-like.

TheHatter | 13 years ago
0 likes

You certainly don't need to stick with Campag for the chain. I'd look at Wipperman and KMC for example - they have the advantage of using an easy connector whereas I understand Campag chains require a special tool(?).
Also if you're looking to save a few quid I wouldn't be so hasty in changing your chainrings as while the cassette will need replacing with the chain the same won't necessarily be true of the chaingrings.

Latest Comments