Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cannondale SuperSix vc Trek Emonda Sl5

I'm about to upgrade to an entry level carbon bike. I need an all around bike, something that I could race on eventually but would also give me the comfort for the long weekend rides. I dont plan on owning more than one bike, so this new one should be versatile enough.

I've done some research and I'm between the Emonda Sl5 and the Cannondale Supersix Evo, both equipped with a 105 Shimano groupset. Since I haven't had the chance to ride any of them, I would like to hear some perspectives of those who have (or at least have some useful information about any of them).

Any thoughts?

ps: the other option available where I live is the Tarmac Sport, but it is more expensive than the other two and seem to deliver about the same.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
1 like

Can't go wrong with either tbh, as above the Trek comes across as slightly less agressive but neither are going to be uncomfortable if you set up properly, just a case as mentioned you swing your leg over some bikes and see what you think.

FYI There's a new 2017 Ultegra shod SL6 for sale at this shop in a 56cm for £1700 on their ebay shop https://magliarosso.co.uk/ There's a 58cm SL5 for £1500 at leisure lakes.

There's also another UK bike shop with a new SL6 for sale at £1699 or best offer also on ebay, just in case any might fit you and you'd still get same warranty seeing as they are bike shops.

Daveyraveygravey | 6 years ago
0 likes

Both great bikes and you'll get lots of owners of each saying how good they are.

I would ask how much riding in winter do you think you will do?  If it isn't much then you don't need mudguards, but if you want to keep riding through wet and cold weather, mudguards will save a lot of outlay in maintenance and replacement parts.

My best bike doesn't have the room to fit mudguards, so after every wet ride I have to clean it off and dry it, but I still have to replace drive train parts and brake components more often than I would like.  I don't know if the Super Six and Emonda can fit mudguards, but if not I would look elsewhere.

rjfrussell | 6 years ago
2 likes

go to evans and do a decent test ride.  how someone else has found the bike isn't going to tell you how you will find it.

Alessandro | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm the happy owner of a SuperSix HiMod which I've had for a couple of years now. In fact, I like it so much that I'm about to replace my winter/commuter bike with the Cannondale Optimo which shares the same geometry as the SuperSix. 

The SuperSix and Emonda are quite different frames, the former being a bit more long and low and set up to get a reasonably aggressive position. The Trek is more of an 'endurance' bike (I use quotation marks because I'm not entirely sure what it means - I've comfortably ridden rides in excess of 200km on my SuperSix...) with a shorter top tube and higher front end.

Despite the different geormetries, you may find that you're faster on the Trek than the Cannondale because it's a better fit and/or more comfortable so it's worth having a ride of one before committing yourself to it. 

Latest Comments