Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Positive bike article on BBC?

Just read a nice BBC article about why women are less likely to cycle than men and thought it highlighted some good points. Some relate to men as well as women, but the women cyclists have to put up with sexist behaviour from male motorists/riders as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-41737483

I reckon the BBC might be trying to offset all their anti-cycling articles.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

Boatsie | 6 years ago
0 likes

peted76 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Aww, I love your moniker Boatsie.. give us a hug...no tongues !

Boatsie | 6 years ago
0 likes

I love your photo peted76.
My work mate a keen cyclist; light weight composite bike, duro ace, etc and we were chatting.
I get dumber often, I ride an unrestricted Kwaka (top speed >320kmph) and tire wear on edge. He was saying he leans into the corners.
Huh, ain't bicycles ridden vertical?
Took a while... I like your photo.

srchar | 6 years ago
0 likes

I read this article the other day and all I could think was, "all of these things have happened to me and I'm a man."

It's either self-promotion or clickbait.

To be truthful, I think men have a harder time than women when riding. Society is much quicker to aggress on men than women. Look at the example of the female triathlete who was pulled from her bike. The assailant's first words were, "sorry, I thought you was a bloke."

fenix | 6 years ago
0 likes

Some people are too touchy.

Grahamd replied to fenix | 6 years ago
0 likes

fenix wrote:

Some people are too touchy.

Agreed, and some of them are on this forum.

ktache | 6 years ago
1 like

There is never anything wrong with a cheery good morning/afternoon/evening.

Unless you are at work and someone arrives a tad late, then a hello can never be taken as sarcasm.

allanj | 6 years ago
0 likes

Hmm, an interesting one that certainly had me thinking.  I wonder if I, without thinking would give encouragement slightly differently to a man or a woman that I was passing?  I can see that I might, and while it clearly is not the end of the world, is the kind of everday sexism that can be pretty wearing I'm sure.

No need to stop speaking to people on this basis (plenty of other reasons to not speak to people though, I'm quite happy with that), just a reminder to not inadvertently patronise or belittle

peted76 | 6 years ago
4 likes

Tosh, any endurance sport of hobby suffers from the same dichotomy.... 

I do however wonder if it's a particualry British thing to feel awkward dishing out encouragement whilst worrying about sounding patronising. I can imagine our North American brothers and sisters, feeling very satisfied with themselves by dishing out or recieving words of 'help' whilst struggling up a long mountain climb or similar... 

There's a comedy sketch somewhere, on the side of the road, using ironic encouragment on people...  you can do it, if you really pedal hard you can catch that other slow kid.. 

madcarew | 6 years ago
2 likes

I've often said that, or the like as I've passed (or been passed by) other competitors in sportives and challenges. It's simply part of the mutual support offered around in these events, especially in the latter parts when some people are struggling. However, we weren't there on this occasion and can't really know the circumstances, but contrary to what she said, it has been said to male competitors countless times.

bigshape | 6 years ago
3 likes

some ladies on horseback said it to me the other weekend so certainly not exclusive to female riders!

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
6 likes

It's encouragement regardless of gender. Sometimes when passing someone you kind of feel awkward and want to say something as if to suggest you're struggling too...

hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
3 likes

@KitKat - good point. Now that I think about it, I've had a bloke say that to me (and I'm a bloke too) as I was struggling up a hill. However, I then asked him for a lift and hung onto his back wheel for the next 10 miles or so.

kitkat | 6 years ago
4 likes

I took exception to this bit. As far as I can see it’s looking for offence in anything. It’s just what ANY cyclist would say to another

Quote:

"I've even had 'keep pedalling, nearly there' - from a male cyclist. They wouldn't have said it to another man, it's so patronising and uncalled for.

otherwise fair enough 

captain_slog replied to kitkat | 6 years ago
3 likes

Quote:

'keep pedalling, nearly there'

I think it depends entirely on the tone. It could be said in a superior way or gasped out in the cause of mutual encouragement. From the rest of what she says, it sounds like the recipient inferred the former.

Best to avoid any possibility of misinterpretation.

kitkat replied to captain_slog | 6 years ago
6 likes

captain_slog wrote:

Best to avoid any possibility of misinterpretation.

Is this the point in society we’ve reached? Anything said can be misconstrued,  branded insulting and people offended. 

Best just not to say anything to anyone for fear of giving them PTSD

brooksby replied to kitkat | 6 years ago
3 likes

kitkat wrote:

Best just not to say anything to anyone for fear of giving them PTSD

I try not to: I'm contractually obliged to speak to people and answer the phone during office hours. Outside of that? F*** 'em, I'm under no obligation to speak to anyone!

Goldfever4 replied to kitkat | 6 years ago
1 like

kitkat wrote:

I took exception to this bit. As far as I can see it’s looking for offence in anything. It’s just what ANY cyclist would say to another

Quote:

"I've even had 'keep pedalling, nearly there' - from a male cyclist. They wouldn't have said it to another man, it's so patronising and uncalled for.

otherwise fair enough 

I also disagreed that the sentiment of that quote is specific to female cyclists - I have said this to male and female cyclists who were climbing a big hill before. And others have said it to me.

However, in the wider context of her experiences (and how unwelcoming cycling can be to female cyclists) I'm not shocked that the conclusion she reached was patronising sexism.

Latest Comments