Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Hints.. New to road cycling

Road cycling isn't cheap. However it is usually a lot cheaper than driving, becomes cheaper than catching the bus and is faster than our cheapest transport; walking.

I no expert. I commuted 80km daily 13 years ago and loved it, riding a $150 2nd hand racer with single tube aerobars. 23mm was ample and punctures not many.
After losing that bike, I bought a cheap racer (new $199) and although the tyres were 23mm, they weren't high quality and I spent heaps on tubes! I found replacing the rear tyre with a 28mm avoided my task to remember how to retube a wheel and life is easy. The cheap tyre on the front didn't matter too much, that eventually wore through to the belt.

When you find a bike that suits you, I belief that investment into a few extra bits; some to carry, some to leave at home, is a must.

Depending upon tyres that come with bike, fit the rear with quality.
2 pumps(or more). Floor pump at home plus a carry pump capable of getting you home.
Spare tubes!! Spare tubes!!
A repair kit, leverage is why we roll machines, without tyre levers I'd be walking.
Water bottle, lights, ability to carry pump and repair kit, etc.
Chain lube.. That stuff really great worth.. Even on cheapies.

Because riding is worth lots. A smog blanket can often be seen coming down into the city from our hills and we have a tiny city! A good friend used to road commute on his 20 inch bmx . 60km daily plus loads of time at destination riding around doing not much often. Wide tyres less pressure no remembered road punctures.

Hopefully more ride.. I like 28mm.. I want 32mm yet my frames won't allow.

Personally, petrol cost $1300 yearly.
Just relearning to ride again. Spent $400 on parts that equate to new derailers and shifters on 1 bike and similar setup on other with new sprockets front and rear on both plus 4 oil bucket cassettes to keep my availability of assumed preferred sizing. Eg 10 years worth of driveline (minus future chains). 20 ish tubes.
You can do the mathematics.

I believe cycling is worth your effort.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments