Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

A zip on studded tyre for winter?

I'd love road.cc to get their hands on a set of these for review.

https://retyre.no

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

paulrattew | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've used the zip tie method on my bikes with disc brakes, and on the rear wheel of my fixie. Works fine with hard packed snow. Not so good on smooth ice as they don't bite into the surface like the studs on ice tyres do. 

Given how rarely it snows down south, it makes no sense for me to buy snow / ice tyres so the zip ties do well enough, without being great. Main advantage is that they're super cheap, easy to put on and take off (snip snip) and take no real space to store. 

If i was riding in snow and ice enough to make spending this much money a reasonable prospect, then i would rather spend it on some proper winter studded tyres

Crashboy | 6 years ago
0 likes

I like the look of them but seems a bit faffy and potential for muck to mess them up.  A full review would be great.

If you have disc brakes I've seen some things on the web about putting zip ties round the wheels (google zip tie snow chains or similar for pics)

Anybody tried that?

EddyBerckx | 6 years ago
0 likes

Very interesting!! Road.cc get on it!!

Wonder how much extra faff it'll be to fix a puncture with these though? Possibly unlikely to haapen though with 2 tyres on the rim I assume...

hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
1 like

I'm sceptical that these would be any good. I'd have thought that the zips would get fouled with mud and grit and not work very well after a few rides. I've also got doubts that zips would be strong enough to deal with all the forces that tyres get subjected to.

I'd rather swap tyres (or better still, swap the bike) for extreme weather rather than rely on zips. I've had enough zips break on bags and clothing to know that they don't have good failure modes.

Welsh boy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Is it just me or do you worry about wbsites for cycling products which get pictures of bikes reversed?  I always wonder about their product and their committment to quality.  Do they really care about cyclists or have they come up with an idea they think they can push onto cyclists?

Al__S | 6 years ago
0 likes

Not cheap, but a fascinating idea- closer to the idea of tyre chains, so you can carry it and put it on when needed

Drinfinity replied to Al__S | 6 years ago
0 likes

Al__S wrote:

Not cheap, but a fascinating idea- closer to the idea of tyre chains, so you can carry it and put it on when needed

fascinating idea indeed. Studded tyres not cheap to start with, and the alternative here is to have an extra set of wheels and cassette and somewhere to keep them , so the overall price is where I’d expect.

For an application where you might get some icy commuting days, slapping them on for the few times when you need them would be handy. Take them off to come when it’s thawed (riding spikes on tarmac is hard work!)

I’d have liked a set of these in the lakes a while back.  Most of the ride was clear, but the top of Garburn was frozen over. Would be like taking crampons. 

BrokenBootneck | 6 years ago
0 likes

£116!

Latest Comments