Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bike fit

Hi there,
Wondered if many had gone for a Retul bike fit and how you found it.
I had a bike fit with a semi- pro rider last year but was thinking I could do with a tune up since I've done loads of riding since then.
And does the Retul one suggest appropriate bikes/frames?
Thanks for any help.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Johnnyvee | 6 years ago
0 likes

Mathemigician -There seems to be lots of it about mate. Don't do what I did - was feeling better last weekend. Went out did a nice easy 30 miler but it was too cold. Been coughing more ever since.

The 50 was to a semi-pro and it made a difference - not huge but felt much better on the bike and the milage and time in the saddle went up. Think I may go back to be honest see if any tweaking necessary.

Johnnyvee | 6 years ago
0 likes

There's a local lady who is also a coach and she charges 185 and uses Retul. Then there's the semi pro guy who doesn't use that system but a turbo and watt bike. He charges 50 and also coaches.

I'm sure there's more around but not looked into it too much more yet as full of this cold that lots of people seem to have.. 

Mathemagician replied to Johnnyvee | 6 years ago
0 likes
Johnnyvee wrote:

I'm sure there's more around but not looked into it too much more yet as full of this cold that lots of people seem to have.. 

Tell me about it...been struck down since Christmas, doing my head in! Can see why you're having second thoughts when the price difference is that much. Personally I'd want some kind of physio-type accreditation, but that's the problem with bike fits- there isn't any kind of standard to delineate between a snake oil salesman and someone who actually knows what they're talking about- hell, you'll find enough people who think they're ALL frauds. Retül is the closest thing to some kind of recognised standard, and a fitter has to be accredited and keep up her/his accreditation at least.

Having said all that, if you're not having any trouble especially, and you felt like you got your money's worth for your £50 last time, maybe the guy doing it by eye will give you the best value for money.

Mathemagician | 6 years ago
0 likes

Gotcha, sorry. Out of interest how much are you talking about? My understanding was a Retül fit was a standard £150 fee...there are 2 fitters where I live, one attached to a shop and the other who works in a clinic (that's the one I went to). However both charged the same.

Johnnyvee | 6 years ago
0 likes

Mathemigician - Sorry you're misreading. I don't want a fitter connected to a shop. A couple of local ones are not which I prefer.

Mathemagician | 6 years ago
0 likes

Why would you want someone connected to a shop? In that kind of situation I'd be suspicious of them recommending a bike that they conveniently sell...

I had a Retül fit done, after having some issues with my first road bike. I was pretty skeptical and went out of desperation as much as anything. I was proven well and truly wrong though, the fit sorted me out completely. My fitter was a former UK racer, but is a physio first and foremost. Really good guy and was the best value for money I've ever spent, bike wise.

Johnnyvee | 6 years ago
0 likes

I might just do that. I've dropped some weight and am aiming to do more miles.  I'd just like to see if anything needs tweaking since my original fit to help me along.

I'd ideally like to get a best bike later on in the year so may use a fit to give me more idea of what I should be looking at size wise . Though the one bike I have seems adequate for all that I do - a bit of commuting, turbo, early morning rides, few sportives and club rides up to 70 miles.  I read that some fitters are able to get you to a good position and then suggest a range of bikes to try.

There is certainly one fitter locally but it's expensive and they're not connected as far as I can tell to a shop.

May have more fun just trying some bikes but the danger is I may well end up liking another bike very similar to what I already have in which case there's no reason I can see in buying it.

Lamb Henry | 6 years ago
0 likes

If you were happy with the original fit, why not go back to them? 

paulrattew | 6 years ago
1 like

Retul is simply a system, a tool - getting a retul fit does not guarantee that it will be a good fit. The software should be able to get you close, but it certainly won't be perfect. A good fitter will use a system like retul and then add in lots of other factors that are idiosyncratic to the individual being fitted. Depending on the fitter, the range of tools and systems they use, and any arrangements they have in place as dealers with various brands, they may be able torecommend appropriate frames. 

Latest Comments