Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Crankset/bottom bracket confusion

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my crankset from the FSA Vero (square taper) one fitted to a Tiagra one to match the rest of the drivetrain. However, once I started to look into BB sizes etc to price up components I've become confused by the info give on my bike manufacturers website which states the following:

Frame - BB386 bottom bracket standard

Crankset - FSA Vero Pro

Bottom Bracket - FSA PF30 w/19mm reducer

link to manufacturers website http://feltbicycles.com/International/2016/Bikes/road/endurance/VR/VR40....

Is this correct that a square taper crankset is compatible with a press fit BB?

Also what BB would I need to buy to fit the Tiagra crankset?

Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Jimthebikeguy.com | 6 years ago
0 likes

That photo only shows the crank bolt. We need to see a shot from up underneath or from the non drive side showing where the axle comes from.

Hairyman | 6 years ago
0 likes

Hi all,

Thanks for your comments. I've some further info as follows. The bike is the felt vr40 (386 frame). I've attached a photo of the drive side crank. Also checked and it's definitely a press fit bottom bracket. What made me query this is that FSA only list the square taper vero crankset on their website & I can't find any reference to a 386 version anywhere on the Web.

Jimthebikeguy.com | 6 years ago
0 likes

2 different standards,maybe two different bikes. If its a square taper then you can upgrade your crankset and bb to a hollowtech 2 system. If its pressfit then thats a different upgrade path.

Acm | 6 years ago
1 like

There's no way that your frame can be bb386 and use a square taper crank. Square taper cranks require a threaded bottom bracket (which is 68mm wide), while 386 shells are 86mm wide. No adapter can work around that.

Looking on Felt's site, they sell aluminium bikes with 2 versions of the Vera Pro, a square taper one on the threaded frames and a 386 one on the 386 frames.

What bottom bracket you need for the Shimano cranks depends on which frame you've got. I don't know if it's a problem my end, but your link doesn't take me to a specific model of bike. Either a photo of the driveside crank or the model of your bike will be enough to let you know what BB you need

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Square taper isn't compatible with press fit BB's as far as I know. Square taper (internal bearing) BB's are both sealed and threaded.

The BB on that bike is threaded, as far as I can tell, seeing as it is an Alu frame.

Assuming you have a threaded BB, the easiest thing to do is take out the BB and put in a Shimano threaded Hollowtech II BB and Tiagra Hollowtech II crankset.

Latest Comments