Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Rim brakes, 28mm tyres, and mudguards? Frame recommendation?

As the title - I'm looking for a road frame on the race-side of the performance/comfort envelope that will run rim brakes (caliper or canti is fine) but will take a 28mm tyre with guards. Not too bothered as to frame material but I'd like it to be a lightweight build. Current rim-braked bike is a shade over 10kgs and only takes 23s with guards and my tourer is probably north of 15. Looking for something that will do for fast 20-milers on New Forest "roads" but mudguards are pretty essential. Ideally frameset rather than full bike. £1k for the frameset, doesn't need to be new.

Any options come to mind? 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

46 comments

kil0ran | 5 years ago
1 like

So as a followup I've spent the whole summer on the Layhams. Brilliant bike - looks the part, fast enough in terms of stiffness, comfy enough for decent distances, fits me like a glove. About to be re-shod with mudguards and winter wheels and will be used throughout the winter (stainless steel doesn't rust, right?) as my tourer has now mutated into a monstercrosser running 40mm knobblies. Very likely to be my forever bike.

IanEdward | 6 years ago
0 likes

Do yourself a favour and get some PDWs, they're so much neater to install and quieter in use than any SKSs I've used.

IanEdward | 6 years ago
0 likes

Nice! Very jealous, it'll be a couple of years before I can justify spending new bike money, but guards and big tyres are top of the brief.

In the meantime I'l have to make do with the Rose. Quietly pleased with how neat the mudguards went on, benefits of chainstay mounted brakes I guess, and once they fail I can justify getting some PDWs which should be even neater.

//dgtzuqphqg23d.cloudfront.net/24dIrh7QiO14Lrx9ayZU42jmBcgC3Pn-t20AJlfditI-2048x1536.jpg)

kil0ran replied to IanEdward | 6 years ago
0 likes

IanEdward wrote:

Nice! Very jealous, it'll be a couple of years before I can justify spending new bike money, but guards and big tyres are top of the brief.

In the meantime I'l have to make do with the Rose. Quietly pleased with how neat the mudguards went on, benefits of chainstay mounted brakes I guess, and once they fail I can justify getting some PDWs which should be even neater.

//dgtzuqphqg23d.cloudfront.net/24dIrh7QiO14Lrx9ayZU42jmBcgC3Pn-t20AJlfditI-2048x1536.jpg)

I love a neat mudguard install, nice job. Now I just need to decide whether the Layhams will look better with silver or black guards. Long drop calipers from the parts bin are silver, rest of the group is black, and tyres will be tanwalls. I do wonder if I'm a bit weird in that I actually enjoy installing guards.

I'm hoping this bike is going to outlast me, or at least be something I can give my son whe he's tall enough. Despite the brief I'm wondering if its going to see many winter miles, not sure I can bear to get it covered in mud!

IanEdward | 6 years ago
0 likes

Is the lack of clearance at the chainstay bridge for the tyres only, or tyres and guards? i.e. could you just stop the guard before the chainstay bridge?

Am embarking on fitting full length guards to my Rose Xeon tonight, cautiously optimistic but 25s are my max and the guards will need to stop at the fork crown and the chainstay bridge, much dremelling!

p.s. did you check out the Holdsworth Competition? I ended up not buying one because I didn't think I had the time to do my own build, possibly regretting that decision now...

//d2plslj6xljffa.cloudfront.net/imgs/products/px/950x600_constWH/FRHOCO_P1.jpg?v=b)

Anecdotally it can take 28s with room to spare. You would need those little mudguard eyelets that sit on your QR axle but they're cheap enough.

kil0ran replied to IanEdward | 6 years ago
0 likes

IanEdward wrote:

Is the lack of clearance at the chainstay bridge for the tyres only, or tyres and guards? i.e. could you just stop the guard before the chainstay bridge?

Am embarking on fitting full length guards to my Rose Xeon tonight, cautiously optimistic but 25s are my max and the guards will need to stop at the fork crown and the chainstay bridge, much dremelling!

p.s. did you check out the Holdsworth Competition? I ended up not buying one because I didn't think I had the time to do my own build, possibly regretting that decision now...

//d2plslj6xljffa.cloudfront.net/imgs/products/px/950x600_constWH/FRHOCO_P1.jpg?v=b)

Anecdotally it can take 28s with room to spare. You would need those little mudguard eyelets that sit on your QR axle but they're cheap enough.

I did like the look of that (absolute sucker for orange bikes, plus a Holdsworth would make the old man jealous, as long as he didn't realise it wasn't a "real" one) but really wanted proper mudguard eyelets. 

As to mudguards I was primarily interested in keeping myself dry rather than protecting the bike so was looking in to options for cutaways, etc. That would have meant metalwork and proper guards rather than chromoplastics which just don't like being cut, so probably PDW or Gilles Berthoud.

kil0ran | 6 years ago
0 likes

Hmm, all the Planet X Ti frames are on sale, revised versions on the way?

BikeJon | 6 years ago
0 likes

Planet X do a nice range of titanium frames for different purposes. I'm sure they do disc and rim brake options and look a good option for your frame-only budget.

kil0ran replied to BikeJon | 6 years ago
0 likes

BikeJon wrote:

Planet X do a nice range of titanium frames for different purposes. I'm sure they do disc and rim brake options and look a good option for your frame-only budget.

Annoyingly their rim-braked option only has clearance for 25mm tyres, and that's before fitting 'guards.

I am looking at the s/h titanium market - Sabbath September definitely takes 28s, as does Spa Cycles' Elan Ti. Airborne and Lynskey have so many versions and iterations but will probably have something. The other option is an Enigma Etape s/h.

baumber25 | 6 years ago
2 likes

Why bother with an 'off the shelf' frame when you get a custom steel build to match your exact requirements.

I've got a cutom Bob Jackson Audax End-End 631 frame on it's way for less then £700 that will take 28mm tyres, mudguards and rim brakes. You can upgrade to 725 or 853 is you want for a bit of extra £. Actually, you can pretty much specify anything you want within reason.

www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/product/audax-end-end/

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
1 like

You might be able to get a mint/NOS Specialized Sirrus Pro Carbon. They come in two different flavours, the drop brake caliper version and the canti/v-brake type. I've just accquired a NOS of the latter which comes with eyelets for guards and a pannier rack (the  drop variant has mudguard eyes only) and the forks are pretty much the same as those on the globe pro which have low rider mounts, so if you can retro fit using a clamp on the fork legs I'd be fairly confident you could carry a decent weight as the spesh Zertz forks are absolutely bombproof IME.

Frame, forks and headset come in at 2000g(58cm), it's the FACT 9M carbon layup which is the heavier duty version of the 9R and as used on top end downhill bikes from a couple of years back. Sure it's not lightweight by modern carbon road racing standards but for a rugged frame with hefty bombproof forks I don't reckon that's too bad.

Clearance is about 40mm.

I've also got a Globe Pro and Expert, the latter is 135mm OLN, the former 130, they both have all the mounts and low rider fixings on the CF forks and the carbon seatstays lighten things up but give a great comfortable ride. The Globe versions rarely come up for sale in mint cond but a few of the earlier (to the full carbon variant) Sirrus models with the carbon seatstays come up on ebay fairly regularly. The Globe versions deffo take 42mm with guards and 50+mm without.

kil0ran replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes
BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

You might be able to get a mint/NOS Specialized Sirrus Pro Carbon. They come in two different flavours, the drop brake caliper version and the canti/v-brake type. I've just accquired a NOS of the latter which comes with eyelets for guards and a pannier rack (the  drop variant has mudguard eyes only) and the forks are pretty much the same as those on the globe pro which have low rider mounts, so if you can retro fit using a clamp on the fork legs I'd be fairly confident you could carry a decent weight as the spesh Zertz forks are absolutely bombproof IME.

Frame, forks and headset come in at 2000g(58cm), it's the FACT 9M carbon layup which is the heavier duty version of the 9R and as used on top end downhill bikes from a couple of years back. Sure it's not lightweight by modern carbon road racing standards but for a rugged frame with hefty bombproof forks I don't reckon that's too bad.

Clearance is about 40mm.

I've also got a Globe Pro and Elite, the latter is 135mm OLN, the former 130, they both have all the mounts and low rider fixings on the CF forks and the carbon seatstays lighten things up but give a great comfortable ride. The Globe versions rarely come up for sale in mint cond but a few of the earlier (to the full carbon variant) Sirrus models with the carbon seatstays come up on ebay fairly regularly. The Globe versions deffo take 42mm with guards and 50+mm without.

Interesting, thanks. Carbon wasn't on the list, but only because I assumed such a thing didn't exist.

bob_c | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm trying - with so far no success apart from scammers - to sell my condor fratello frameset. Could be of interest if you're over 6ft and would be way under budget.

Crampy replied to bob_c | 6 years ago
1 like

bob_c wrote:

I'm trying - with so far no success apart from scammers - to sell my condor fratello frameset. Could be of interest if you're over 6ft and would be way under budget.

Hi [insert na bob_c,

I am Nelson Bobertson.

I interested in [goods condor fratello frameset. You sell good price.

I dwelling Nigeria, cant get money out. You send cheque/paypal for [enter am 1500usd] I send back same plus cost [goods condor fratello frameset.

You me make deal?

kil0ran replied to bob_c | 6 years ago
0 likes
bob_c wrote:

Sadly 5-11 so probably too big. What size/colour?

me | 6 years ago
0 likes

De Rosa Milanino Training

I think they've stopped making them now but there may be stock somewhere.  I like mine.  Looks good with PDW full metal fenders though I don't use 28mm.

https://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/de-rosa-milanino-training-road-bike-review.html

The 'training' bit is important as they also made a Milanino without the clearances the 'training' has.

Boatsie | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm converting an Avanti Blade comp.
Set up with spray flaps between the brake arms. Rides 28c.
Not sure if such qualifies as performance side.. Is my fastest bike. Was 3*9. Replacing with new parts 2*9 inclusive of dropbar shifters.. Should be faster than was... No where near some modern machines.
Hope that helps ya.
Wondering if reason similar... Wanting low windage on rain bike due to probability of higher winds. Flatbars are great running with the wind.

kil0ran replied to Boatsie | 6 years ago
0 likes

Boatsie wrote:

I'm converting an Avanti Blade comp. Set up with spray flaps between the brake arms. Rides 28c. Not sure if such qualifies as performance side.. Is my fastest bike. Was 3*9. Replacing with new parts 2*9 inclusive of dropbar shifters.. Should be faster than was... No where near some modern machines. Hope that helps ya. Wondering if reason similar... Wanting low windage on rain bike due to probability of higher winds. Flatbars are great running with the wind.

My original thinking was having a wet bike (tourer with discs) and a dry bike (rim brakes, race geo, as minimal as possible) but the reality is that the roads I ride on require mudguards, even in the dry. So much run off from fields even if it hasn't rained for a couple of days.

So we're back at the classic winter trainer but with the additional requirement of being able to run 28s plus guards. For me (big lad) 28s are the sweet spot given the rural roads I ride on.

Bikeylikey | 6 years ago
0 likes

I have a Burls titanium frame which fits your spec exactly, 28mm tyres ( it will take these on 22mm internal width rims, so plenty of room) and mudguards. The brakes are Ambrosio slightly longer reach than standard. It's absolutely not true that you get juddering or poor braking or other problems with longer reach brakes, at least not these ones, the braking is superb. I've also got some TRP longer reach brakes on another bike, same there, no problems at all, just as good as standard reach brakes. It depends on the design of the brake, obviously. Some of the old Weinmann pattern very long reach calipers were bendy, but I don't think anyone makes this kind of thing any longer since cantilevers and their successors became common.

As far as I remember the frameset with a Kinesis carbon fork cost about £1200 -1300. I might be persuaded to sell it, as a complete bike. 565mm virtual top tube, 55mm seat tube, 170mm head tube. Campag Record 10 speed triple group, Fulcrum R5 wheels, Canyon VCLS seatpost, 3t carbon bars, £1500. Sorry if that's a shameless bit of advertising! Message me if you're interested email tyke51 [at] yahoo.com.

srchar | 6 years ago
0 likes

I commute on a Kinesis T3 with 28mm tyres and full SKS 'guards. I run long drop brakes with Campagnolo pads and the braking is fine, even with Aican offset pad holders on the rear to clear the tyre.

It's nicer to ride than the titanium Van Nic it replaced, but not as nice as my best bike. I'd recommend it, or pay a bit more for a 4S if you think you might want to run discs at some point in the future.

kil0ran replied to srchar | 6 years ago
0 likes
srchar wrote:

I commute on a Kinesis T3 with 28mm tyres and full SKS 'guards. I run long drop brakes with Campagnolo pads and the braking is fine, even with Aican offset pad holders on the rear to clear the tyre.

It's nicer to ride than the titanium Van Nic it replaced, but not as nice as my best bike. I'd recommend it, or pay a bit more for a 4S if you think you might want to run discs at some point in the future.

Thanks, not heard about offset pad holders before, what do they do?

srchar replied to kil0ran | 6 years ago
0 likes

kil0ran wrote:

Thanks, not heard about offset pad holders before, what do they do?

They extend the drop of your brakes. They are normally used with standard-drop calipers on bikes like the T3, however I found I needed them on the rear even with long-drop calipers. Not sure whether I have a "faulty" frame with too high a rear brake bridge, or perhaps maybe a T3 doesn't like Zondas.

See pics here: https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/287426/

kil0ran | 6 years ago
0 likes

They all have their place. Personally I love the short travel and instant response I get from my 5800 calipers. Run them very close and I can haul my 18st up from the hoods no problem, enough power to lock the rear. On a purely superficial level I also just like how they look. Full length housings are plain ugly, particularly on a light coloured frame. Having said all that I wouldn't ride without discs on the tourer because I need to stop me, the bike, the tagalong, and an 8yo child. Just wish I could get them as quiet and responsive as the rims. Too much travel for my liking.

Vehlin replied to kil0ran | 6 years ago
0 likes
kil0ran wrote:

They all have their place. Personally I love the short travel and instant response I get from my 5800 calipers. Run them very close and I can haul my 18st up from the hoods no problem, enough power to lock the rear. On a purely superficial level I also just like how they look. Full length housings are plain ugly, particularly on a light coloured frame. Having said all that I wouldn't ride without discs on the tourer because I need to stop me, the bike, the tagalong, and an 8yo child. Just wish I could get them as quiet and responsive as the rims. Too much travel for my liking.

Without wanting to kindle a disc brake holy war are you using cable or hydros on your tourer? I've got hydros on my CAADX and never have to adjust them.

kil0ran replied to Vehlin | 6 years ago
0 likes

Vehlin wrote:
kil0ran wrote:

Without wanting to kindle a disc brake holy war are you using cable or hydros on your tourer? I've got hydros on my CAADX and never have to adjust them.

Hybrids - cable operated hydro calipers from Juin Tech (same as the Yokozuna ones Mike Stead reviewed on this site last year)

They're good but they squeal in the wet and lever travel is too long compared to well set up rim brake. Sintered pads have helped and at least the front is reasonably good but the rear lacks response.

IanEdward | 6 years ago
1 like

Haha, sorry Cyclisto, I'm just grumpy because all the bikes I like are disc only now and I'm anti-disc.

I do forget the issue with mini-vs and pad clearance, I have the little Campag style quick release buttons on my levers so I can run the levers further from the bars. Means I need big hands to reach the levers, but also means lots of pad clearance

cyclisto | 6 years ago
2 likes

Wow a lot of opposition against my disk friendliness!

First I have to clarify that I ride 32c with mudguards and mini-Vs. They are quite powerfull in the dry but not that much on wet and also pad consumption increases. My biggest though problem is that due to the not that suitable pull ratio (sora shifters with 90mm V-brake arms) there is a lot of effortless braking power but pads have to sit really close the rims making it impossible to remove the wheels without releasing air, hard to setup and the wheels have to be 100% true. But once you ride with disks, you really like the stopping power so the are winners for me.

About caliper brakes I had them on a bike with 23c tires and you had to pray to make a safe stop. Sure the narrow tires were crap but the caliper brakes were crap too.

I am not thinking of converting mine to disks (there are mounts) but if a bought a new bike I would definitely go on disks.

Simon E replied to cyclisto | 6 years ago
0 likes

cyclisto wrote:

Wow a lot of opposition against my disk friendliness!

I suspect they didn't appreciate what looked like blatant trolling.

I'm sure that a large proportion of road.cc readers use discs, whether it's road, 'cross, gravel or MTB.

Prosper0 | 6 years ago
1 like

I ride a Condor fratello through the winter. It’s a beautiful frame that can built up pretty light if you pay attention. 

I use 28mm Panaracer Gravel Kings with full mudguards and with a little room to spare. I use the more expensive Pioggia deep drop brakes which are more than enough power with Swissstop bxp pads. It’s a perfect winter setup for me. Couldn’t recommend it enough. 

P3t3 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Can you get the decathlon triban 500 frame-only? One of them has long drop brakes and would most likely take 28s +guards but I can't remember the exact model.  

I also managed to get 28s and guards to work on my CAAD8 with some coaxing and modding but it was a bit of a labour of love to keep it working well like that.  Its for sale if anybody wants a caad8 with 105.  

Pages

Latest Comments