Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Mr Picky wants a new bike

Looking for a new bike this year. Must haves are:

• Endurance geometry rather than all out racing
  • Carbon frame
  • Threaded bottom bracket
  • Room for 28mm tyres
  • Able to attach eg SKS mudguards ie not proprietary ones

I can get 4 out 5 pretty easily. What should I be considering for all 5?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

Johnnyvee | 6 years ago
0 likes

@Nickprior - look up wheels manufacturing bottom bracket replacement. They get good reviews but I've had my Renegade now for a while and no problems with the BB anyway.
I'd do the quote thing but I'm on my phone and feeling lazy. Ha.

nickprior | 6 years ago
0 likes

You're right of course about the mudguards. Mr Picky was perhaps placing undue importance on the likelihood of him breaking the things based on his track record. And in the scheme of things not an excessive price to pay.

nickprior | 6 years ago
0 likes

The old SKS mudguards I have for my current bike has 18mm brackets so one would need Whyte's own brand for the Wessex. So close (but thanks for the pictures)!

Canyon48 replied to nickprior | 6 years ago
0 likes

nickprior wrote:

The old SKS mudguards I have for my current bike has 18mm brackets so one would need Whyte's own brand for the Wessex. So close (but thanks for the pictures)!

I think that's the "standard" width (but I'm really not too sure).

40 quid is a little steep for the Whyte mudguards, though it's only £10 more than SKS/Mpart guards and the Whyte mudguard stays are already cut and bent to the right length (which makes life easier).

Mind you, I think you can only buy the Wessex in store, so if you're spending 2 and a half k, then I'd expect the bike shop to throw in the mudguards and a bike fit free of charge (at least)...

ChrisB200SX | 6 years ago
0 likes

Aren't you supposed to use the other end of calipers to measure the internal width?

Canyon48 replied to ChrisB200SX | 6 years ago
0 likes

ChrisB200SX wrote:

Aren't you supposed to use the other end of calipers to measure the internal width?

Yep! Although it's hard to see because of the low picture quality, the end of the internal jaws is measuring the outer dimension of the mudguard bracket, not the recess in which said bracket sits.

The recess is about 1mm wider than the bracket.

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

And another

EDIT: For some reason, road.cc is posting this photo upside down! The measured value is 12.29 mm NOT 62mm!

Johnnyvee | 6 years ago
1 like

Jamis Renegade Expert if you can get them and you get disks but the BB lets it down. I love mine and fitting mudguards and big tyres is easy.
If you got a BB conversion it'd be 6 out of 5 as you'd have discs too.
Just a thought.
Evans will have them in a sale soon probably...

nickprior replied to Johnnyvee | 6 years ago
0 likes

Johnnyvee wrote:

.... If you got a BB conversion it'd be 6 out of 5 as you'd have discs too. Just a thought....

Do they work, those conversions? Assuming of course you get the right size for the pressfit you're replacing....!

leviocx | 6 years ago
1 like

My mate has a Giant Defy which is quite solid. Endurance frameset, comes with disc brakes which means better clearance, and I'm sure it has rear pannier mounting points. SKS Raceblades should be easily attachable. But again, it has a silly BB standard which not many brands cater for...

Simon E | 6 years ago
1 like

I was going to suggest the Genesis Datum or Trek Domane SL 5 but both use stupid willy-waving BB standards. surprise

If you want an out-and-out race bike, with oversized macho '78% stiffer' (ooh-er!) BB etc then fine, but I really cannot understand why endurance bikes don't have decent clearances and mudguard/rack eyelets. It's as if the brands don't see that flexibility as of interest to customers but instead narrow the gap between those and the 'proper' race bikes (not that you can't race perfectly well on an 'endurance' model or one with eyelets). They then trumpet their separate range of gravel / adventure bikes, which are probably more like what an endurance model should be. Perhaps the 'endurance' moniker should be replaced with 'Mamil sportive' instead.

I suspect the others in this list, apart from the Wessex, will also come up short on your criteria (all of which are perfectly sensible and appropriate IMHO):

http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/221187-10-best-mudguard-compatible-c...

ped | 6 years ago
1 like

You don't mention brake preference, but Gaygill Carbon Audax

nickprior replied to ped | 6 years ago
1 like

ped wrote:

You don't mention brake preference, but Gaygill Carbon Audax

That's my bike! They have one made up in their sale section and it's even got my preferred saddle! The frameset looks perfect - thanks for that! 

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
2 likes

Whyte Wessex.

I have one, it's lush. Ticks all 5. Pretty sure it is compatible with SKS mudguards (as long as they have a thin fork mount) and you will have to bend the stays to shape - which is normal anyway I guess.

nickprior replied to Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

wellsprop wrote:

Whyte Wessex.

I have one, it's lush. Ticks all 5. Pretty sure it is compatible with SKS mudguards ...

Thanks for that - I thought the Wessex only took proprietary mudguards but I may have misunderstood. It would certainly do the job if I'm wrong though.

Canyon48 replied to nickprior | 6 years ago
0 likes

nickprior wrote:

wellsprop wrote:

Whyte Wessex.

I have one, it's lush. Ticks all 5. Pretty sure it is compatible with SKS mudguards ...

Thanks for that - I thought the Wessex only took proprietary mudguards but I may have misunderstood. It would certainly do the job if I'm wrong though.

I'm currently using Whytes own mudguards, which are just as good as any other mudguard I have used. 

Here's a pic illustrating what I mean about the narrow front mount which measured just over 12mm (I don't know if that is a "standard" size but the previous mudguards I have (for a hybrid) were too wide there).

leviocx replied to Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

wellsprop wrote:

Whyte Wessex.

I have one, it's lush. Ticks all 5. Pretty sure it is compatible with SKS mudguards (as long as they have a thin fork mount) and you will have to bend the stays to shape - which is normal anyway I guess.

If it was me, I would have this bike.

Latest Comments