Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Switching Canyon integrated stem and bars

Hi all,

I purchased my Canyon Ultimate CF SLX last year and I didn't realise that it was possible to swap the integrated bar and stem for a different size.

I assume there is a time limit (which, I assume I'm well past now) to swap the bars with Canyon.

Anyone know?

Cheers  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

24 comments

Canyon48 | 5 years ago
1 like

I ought to also point out that I'm more than happy to buy from my LBS (only when they've got offers on though!). The obvious benefit of my LBS is when I've bought a frame/wheels whatever from them, they are more than happy to do small things like put in the press-fit BB free of charge.

Probably also helps that my other half works in the shop and on the occasions that I pick her up from work I bring cake for everyone in the shop  4

mike the bike | 5 years ago
0 likes

I'm biased because my Endurace arrived on the promised day, in first-class condition and proved to be a remarkable buy.  The Ultegra based spec' would have cost five or six hundred quid more from any of the big names and nothing has broken, worn out or squeaked.  Would I buy from them again?  In an instant.

When I order something from an online shop I know it won't be straighforward if I encounter a problem but I'm saving a lot of money to take that risk.  If you want LBS service, the remedy is in your hands.

EddyBerckx | 5 years ago
0 likes

My recent experience has been great. Bike arrived within a week. Box damaged in transit and a small rubber cover missing...they sent me two replacements and refunded the cost of the box no question.

And I got an amazing bike a lot cheaper and lighter than normal branded bikes (ultimate sl disc)

You pays her money. Best bike I yet ridden!

brooksby | 5 years ago
1 like

Reading road.cc I get the impression that Canyon is an “interesting” company to deal with; I think I’ll stick with a bricks-and-mortar company for my next purchase, even if it will probably be more expensive.

Canyon48 replied to brooksby | 5 years ago
0 likes

brooksby wrote:

Reading road.cc I get the impression that Canyon is an “interesting” company to deal with; I think I’ll stick with a bricks-and-mortar company for my next purchase, even if it will probably be more expensive.

I've found Canyon absolutely great to deal with, to be honest. Really easy to sort things out and their customer service was fantastic for me. My bike turned up on my door within 5 days of ordering,

As it is, I was stupid enough not to read that I could replace my bars and stem free. Instead, I managed to buy my preferred size of integrated bar/stem combo reduced in a sale and sold my old one which just about covered the cost.

My other half works at a Trek approved bike dealership. If you buy a Madone from them with an integrated bar/stem, there is no way at all to replace the bar/stem size, without buying an entirely new one. So Canyon beats the LBS in that regard.

It just seems to appear that some people vent their frustration about Canyon on forums because they haven't got an LBS to moan at. And believe me, some customers at bike shops complain about absolutely ridiculous things.

grnbrg | 5 years ago
0 likes

Keep in mind that Canyon will not swap any parts in the United States.  After reading reviews I was under the assumption that I could swap the cockpit to get the correct fit, but that's not true here.  The support people made all kinds of excuses (i.e. need money to change website (!?) and finance dept won't give it).  They even admitted that the website was misleading.  So many excuses, no actual service.  So the bike goes back to Canyon.

part_robot | 6 years ago
0 likes

Sonnova! They must have added it recently! Well, that's good for you at least  1 I pestered them relentlessly during the mid of last year so I lay claim to that improvement  3 Also they didn't sell them separate at the time I think.... That said, I've changed my stem size twice since then so maybe I'm better off than I would have been.

Canyon48 replied to part_robot | 6 years ago
0 likes

part_robot wrote:

Sonnova! They must have added it recently! Well, that's good for you at least  1 I pestered them relentlessly during the mid of last year so I lay claim to that improvement  3 Also they didn't sell them separate at the time I think.... That said, I've changed my stem size twice since then so maybe I'm better off than I would have been.

This is why I'm rather peeved. When I purchased the bike, I my only other option was 390 width with 90mm stem - no good for my gangly arms.

part_robot | 6 years ago
0 likes

You're aware that for each bar width for the aerocockpit there's only one stem length (despite what the site might make you think, it is only one)? If you want narrow with a long stem (which is what I wanted) it's not going to happen. I wanted 38cm wide which gives somehting like 80mm stem iirc.

0 likes

part_robot wrote:

You're aware that for each bar width for the aerocockpit there's only one stem length (despite what the site might make you think, it is only one)? If you want narrow with a long stem (which is what I wanted) it's not going to happen. I wanted 38cm wide which gives somehting like 80mm stem iirc.

The H36 I have also has a 390 width with 100mm stem option https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/accessories/?category=3204#id=61696

Unless the website is incorrect?

part_robot | 6 years ago
0 likes

I sold mine on eBay for a small fortune; they easily go for £300 or more which is more than Canyon sell them for (did a fixed price auction).

Be warned; there's a bunch fiddly things you need when replacing them with normal bars. For one, the steerer is 1-1/4" not 1-1/8 which limits your stem choice to basically Canyon and Giant. So... here's what you ought to order from Canyon:

- A Canyon stem or two ("ST Body V13-15 100 31,8 1 1/4 6 bk/gy" for 100mm). Definitely order a couple as not all bars have the same reach and they can take a fair while to deliver (although mine took less than a week)

- Stem frontplate ("ST PC frontplate for V13/V15 bk")

- 4x Frontplate screws and conical washers ("ST CAYN screw M5 for V13/V14/V15", "ST CAYN washer V13,V14,V15 inner D. 5mm")

- The top cap ("HSP ACRS top cover 1 1/4 bk")

- The top cover ("HSP ACRS top cover 1 1/4 bk")

-  A bunch of spacers of different sizes ("SPAC CAYN E246-15 1 1/4 2,5 bk" for 2.5mm one. I'd get 1x2.5mm, 1x5mm, 3x10mm... that should be more than enough for max or slammed)

Canyon are super helpful so do ask them if you're uncertain.

0 likes

part_robot wrote:

I sold mine on eBay for a small fortune; they easily go for £300 or more which is more than Canyon sell them for (did a fixed price auction).

Be warned; there's a bunch fiddly things you need when replacing them with normal bars. For one, the steerer is 1-1/4" not 1-1/8 which limits your stem choice to basically Canyon and Giant. So... here's what you ought to order from Canyon:

- A Canyon stem or two ("ST Body V13-15 100 31,8 1 1/4 6 bk/gy" for 100mm). Definitely order a couple as not all bars have the same reach and they can take a fair while to deliver (although mine took less than a week)

- Stem frontplate ("ST PC frontplate for V13/V15 bk")

- 4x Frontplate screws and conical washers ("ST CAYN screw M5 for V13/V14/V15", "ST CAYN washer V13,V14,V15 inner D. 5mm")

- The top cap ("HSP ACRS top cover 1 1/4 bk")

- The top cover ("HSP ACRS top cover 1 1/4 bk")

-  A bunch of spacers of different sizes ("SPAC CAYN E246-15 1 1/4 2,5 bk" for 2.5mm one. I'd get 1x2.5mm, 1x5mm, 3x10mm... that should be more than enough for max or slammed)

Canyon are super helpful so do ask them if you're uncertain.

Thanks robot, I'll be selling mine on eBay, like you, I'll be doing fixed price £300.

I'm replacing it straight up with the same H36 aerocockpit from Canyon just with narrower bars!

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

So does anyone want a Canyon H36 aerocockpit with a 100mm stem and 410mm bar width for £250? haha...

deano802 replied to Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

wellsprop wrote:

So does anyone want a Canyon H36 aerocockpit with a 100mm stem and 410mm bar width for £250? haha...

Hi, Wellsprop,

Do you still have the cockpit, I could be interested. 

0 likes

wellsprop wrote:

Hi, Wellsprop,

Canyon48 replied to deano802 | 6 years ago
0 likes

deano802 wrote:

wellsprop wrote:

Hi, Wellsprop,

Sorry, for the delay, didn't realise this thread was still alive!

Yes I do, H36 100 stem and 410 wide bars, they retail at just over £360, mines immaculate and has only been ridden for 500 miles - I'll do £250 (+ postage).

0 likes

wellsprop wrote:

deano802 wrote:

wellsprop wrote:

Hi, Wellsprop,

Yes I do, H36 100 stem and 410 wide bars, they retail at just over £360, mines immaculate and has only been ridden for 500 miles - I'll do £250 (+ postage).

I have already bid on a new set on eBay auction finishing Sunday night, if I don't get them for less I will happily take yours for £250 + postage, if agreeable with you. 

0 likes

deano802 wrote:

wellsprop wrote:

deano802 wrote:

wellsprop wrote:

Hi, Wellsprop,

I have already bid on a new set on eBay auction finishing Sunday night, if I don't get them for less I will happily take yours for £250 + postage, if agreeable with you. 

Sounds good to me, I'll keep an eye on this thread... Good luck bidding  1

0 likes

wellsprop wrote:

deano802 wrote:

wellsprop wrote:

deano802 wrote:

wellsprop wrote:

Hi, Wellsprop,

I missed the auction, too busy setting up my old bike for the other half! they went for about 235. 

Please email me at ddavis802 at gmail dot com and we can finalise. 

0 likes

deano802 wrote:

wellsprop wrote:

deano802 wrote:

wellsprop wrote:

deano802 wrote:

wellsprop wrote:

Hi, Wellsprop,

I missed the auction, too busy setting up my old bike for the other half! they went for about 235. 

Please email me at ddavis802 at gmail dot com and we can finalise. 

Email sent yes

deano802 | 6 years ago
0 likes

From speaking to them last week before my order they offer 30 days exchange like for like in whatever size you need.

0 likes

deano802 wrote:

From speaking to them last week before my order they offer 30 days exchange like for like in whatever size you need.

Yeah, I just spoke to them on live chat and it's only for the first 30 days. Wish I'd known when I bought the bike  2

0 likes

wellsprop wrote:

deano802 wrote:

Yeah, I just spoke to them on live chat and it's only for the first 30 days. Wish I'd known when I bought the bike  2

They keep it very quiet, I think I will need to change the cockpit to 100/41 from the 90/39. Ideally I would want the one from the endurace which is wider as I am very broad.

0 likes

deano802 wrote:

wellsprop wrote:

deano802 wrote:

They keep it very quiet, I think I will need to change the cockpit to 100/41 from the 90/39. Ideally I would want the one from the endurace which is wider as I am very broad.

Yeah, it is annoying that they don't make it clear...

I'm sort of doing the opposite, want narrow bars but with the longer stem!

Latest Comments