Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

What's a good Road bike Tyre for OFF- Tarmac riding?

want to get a new tyres for my road bike, have never bought road bike tyres before so not sure what I should look for.
I use the bike MOSTLY for Off-tarmac riding tho ( old railway paths -most of the time with some mud), so need something that still has some grip, the current tyres are old ,useless and falling apart so have to get something either way.

I was looking to get the conti ultrasport 2 ( well because they were dirt cheap - £13 for a pair) , but probably they aren't that good for what I want them?
Need them in 700 x 25  or 28 size. 

Oh I still want them to be faaaaaaaaaaaaaaast with good rolling resistance.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

DaveE128 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Get the widest tyre you can fit through your frame/caliper brakes. My Conti Grand Prix 4Seasons have held up to a bit of off road reasonably well, although I think any fast rolling road tyre will suffer slashes quite fast off-road. At least the GP4S seem ok with a load of small nicks in the rubber, so long as the reinforcing layers aren't damaged, no bulges, holes right through, etc.

Jimthebikeguy.com | 6 years ago
1 like

Schwalbe g one.

Boatsie | 6 years ago
0 likes

Found it!!
https://smithstreetcycles.com.au/products/tyre-fyxation-session-700x28-p...

These are pretty durable and my cheap rims are true years later despite being unco and having gutters

Boatsie | 6 years ago
0 likes

I used an orange wall (also green wall ones) 700c*28. Fantastic tyre.
Never punctured!
Threaded. Suited me! Now I use maxxis refuse 28. Same deal; never punctured. Not as balloon like with volume though.
Orange wall/ green wall look like the Schwalbe green guard yet bright colours!!
Anyway,, I can't help with brand name, only size and pressures are indicated on the wall! I can't shop for my own neither, haven't seen them for 5 years!
Maybe someone else knows them.
Was about $70 a tyre. Maybe $80. Can't remember clearly.

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
1 like

Shame you can't fit 35mm, the original G one would of been perfect. Fast, grippy, puncture resistant being tubeless

kil0ran | 6 years ago
0 likes

Panaracer GravelKing SK - plenty fast enough on hard pack with reasonable puncture protection. Loads of grip in light mud - you can feel a noticeable drag from the tyre as you hit anything squelchy. Love mine, they're perfect for my mixed commute. There's a review on this site - £30 each from Wiggle, Sigmasport often have them cheaper on eBay.

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
1 like

Schwalbe G One speed 30mm?

Latest Comments