Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Converting from Dropbars to Straight - Worth it?

I always thought I wanted a road bike, I finally got one  to test the concept out, Turns out I don't like road bikes at all since I barely ever drive on tarmac and I don't like at all the position when using the bike.. I like the bike itself, it's rather light and nimble, however... the gear changes /brakes/position= sucks so bad  2

I got the bike for £26 it was in fairly good shape however the components on it are just super basic- however all works and gears shift just fine.
I ''think'' I want a Hybrid bike now , to have something as light/nimble as a road bike but still fairly fast.
 I had my eyes on Boardman Hybrid team ( roughly £250 for a good used one)..However I don't really want to spend any money now since I already got 2 bikes ( this one and a MTB) .. Or I could just convert this road bike to a hybrid myself?

So the plan was to take this bike and convert it to flat bars + new brake levers/gears + new tyres+ some new cables,new brake pads,new pedals.

-Is this a good idea to drop money on such a basic ''crap'' bike and try to convert it in something I can use? (we are talking about probably £40 investment) Or I should just sell it on and buy another bike which has much better stuff on it?
-What else do I need to convert it to a flat bar?
I will get a flat bar itself and this shimano ST-EF51 brake/shifter set
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-7-Speed-Ez-Fire-Rapidfire-MTB-Gear-Br...

I might need some new cables , what else ?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

RoubaixCube | 6 years ago
0 likes

I was looking to convert a hoy hybrid once myself as they use the same frames on some of their road bikes. I priced it all up and it just wasn't worth it at all

ChancerOnABike | 6 years ago
1 like

I have both, but fitted bull horns to a boardman hybrid to make it a bit more aero but still have the brakes in tne best place for commuting

Beecho replied to ChancerOnABike | 6 years ago
0 likes

ChancerOnABike wrote:

I have both, but fitted bull horns to a boardman hybrid to make it a bit more aero but still have the brakes in tne best place for commuting

Ooo - can we see that? I’m close to selling my Hybrid Pro as I’m board (sic) of flat bars. Love the bike though and love the bull horns on my single speed. Just can’t picture the brakes/shifters on your set up.

Thanks!

gmac101 | 6 years ago
0 likes

As somebody said the brake levers are in an odd position - before you do anything too drastic  I'd try moving them further up the bars closer to the flat portion of the bars.  You'l probably need to buy some new bar tape but thats not too expensive. There's plenty of videos on youtube showing you how to re wrap the bars.

cyclisto | 6 years ago
0 likes

I have gone twice the opposite direction, from flat bars to drop and bullhorn and I cannot really imagine how a flat bar can be better suited for tarmac. Your problem probably is that you need a more upright position, not to change your bars

Griff500 | 6 years ago
0 likes

It seems unanimous then! Not a trivial task anyway if you want to end up with a bike which is both comfortable and handles properly. Its a lot more than simply changing bars over. I assume you are looking for a more upright position, and as you can't shorten the top tube, you would need a shorter stem, which would probably screw up the handling.

hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
3 likes

That's a sweet looking bike for £26!

The Gavalier | 6 years ago
1 like

I’m not surprised you don’t like road bikes if that’s your only experience of them. Shifters in the wrong place and I bet those brakes are dreadful. Sell it on and buy something else. 

SteveAustin | 6 years ago
2 likes

Where did you get that for £26?!

i would hunt for flat bar bike and with your purchsing luck @ £26 itll be cheaper than than converting that roadbike, and wont have any of the inherent problems of converting a roadbike into a  flatbar.

Jimthebikeguy.com | 6 years ago
1 like

Simple question - is the bike the right size for you? Thats often the real problem.

Argos74 | 6 years ago
1 like

In that particular case, no. Sell it on and get a bike that suits you and your riding. Might cost a little more, but the marginal benefit far outweighs the marginal cost.

Welsh boy | 6 years ago
5 likes

Go for a hybrid but dont waste money converting that old bike, by the time you have changed shifters, brake levers, cables, bought new bars, handlebar grips and what ever else crops up you will have spent a good proportion of the cost of a new bike.

itaa | 6 years ago
0 likes

pics of the bike

//i.ebayimg.com/images/g/VIcAAOSwhVxaEtxl/s-l1600.jpg)
//i.ebayimg.com/images/g/rtgAAOSw3xVaEtxf/s-l1600.jpg)
//i.ebayimg.com/images/g/SxoAAOSwySVaEtwq/s-l1600.jpg)

Latest Comments