Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

How to stop a bike smelling like poop?

Hi,

Nope, I'm not joking.

This is the first winter that I've kept up my summer mileage, despite the weather. I'm riding at least every other day doing about 100 miles a week. I go out whatever the weather (unless there's ice about) and I have mudguards.

The trouble is, there's a pig farm on the way out of the village, when it rains the road is covered by all the pig waste that washes straight out the farm onto the road. The local roads are also covered in cow/pig !"£$%^ and might bike stinks of it.

I wash it every couple rides, but it still smells. Any ideas how to get it smelling better?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

33 comments

Jack Osbourne snr | 6 years ago
0 likes
ConcordeCX replied to Jack Osbourne snr | 6 years ago
0 likes

Jack Osbourne snr wrote:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71dDrt%2BV-UL._SL1500_.jpg

Sorted.

I wonder if Rapha have any plans to market a nosegay.

fenix | 6 years ago
0 likes

My routes take me through a sheep farm or a cattle farm. You need to wash the bike straight away before it dries. Hose under the mudguards and it blasts it all off.

Never had a smelly bike !

Kendalred replied to fenix | 6 years ago
0 likes

fenix wrote:

My routes take me through a sheep farm or a cattle farm. You need to wash the bike straight away before it dries. Hose under the mudguards and it blasts it all off. Never had a smelly bike !

Yeah, this. One of the best things about our new house is the outside tap in the back yard. Hosepipe connects in a second, spray all around the bike, and even direct under the mudguards, Bobs yer Aunties husband.

There is a commuting route I used to do that was like this - more cow shite than pig (not as bad a smell), and I eventually started to use a slightly longer route to avoid it - that road is in a terrible condition as well, so another reason to change. I hadn't actually been aware that it was an offence to leave the road covered in crap - good to know.

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I realised after taking my rear wheel out, that most the smell is coming from the mud still covering the inside of my mudguard that doesn't get washed when I quickly clean my bike post ride.

Grahamd replied to Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

wellsprop wrote:

I realised after taking my rear wheel out, that most the smell is coming from the mud still covering the inside of my mudguard that doesn't get washed when I quickly clean my bike post ride.

Poor form, never mind the smell, think of the extra weight you were carrying!

Canyon48 replied to Grahamd | 6 years ago
1 like
Grahamd wrote:

wellsprop wrote:

Poor form, never mind the smell, think of the extra weight you were carrying!

Possibly a hundred grams or so... I spent nearly £100 buying a new chainset that gave me a 150 gram weight saving. To think that went all to shi#, literally.

What I would do to have a tap on the outside of my house. Worst thing, my house is a middle terrace so I have to either leave my bike outside my house and get a bucket of water through the living room, or get my filthy bike through the living room to get to the garden.

andyp | 6 years ago
0 likes

You are Greg Lemond and I claim my £5.

DaveE128 | 6 years ago
0 likes

You could also try using one of those bike sprays that are supposed to contain teflon that theoretically might reduce how much stuff sticks to your mudguards (assume you're using these!) etc. I spray the stuff along the inside of my mudguards after washing my bike, but I have no idea if it really makes a difference.

Just don't let any overspray (or wind blown spray) get anywhere near your brakes or wheels!

maviczap | 6 years ago
1 like

Just imagine you're riding in Belgium, that's what Merckx had to put up with, and never did him any harm.

PRSboy | 6 years ago
3 likes

A wider issue is where else the spray is ending up, e.g a water bottle lid.  E Coli can be a very, very bad thing indeed.

It is against the Highways Act 1980 and anti-pollution laws to allow mud and effluent onto a road, as it could be running off to polllute water courses as well as causing a potential hazard to road users.  Usually farmers are very careful, certainly are around us.

hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
3 likes

If I were you, I'd try some pet smell spray as they're designed to break down organic compounds.

I use some Tesco Pet Care - pet stain & odour removal spray. It's not pricey, so it'd be worth a shot - just spray it all over after cleaning your bike and see if that helps.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/278194390

Canyon48 replied to hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
1 like

hawkinspeter wrote:

If I were you, I'd try some pet smell spray as they're designed to break down organic compounds.

I use some Tesco Pet Care - pet stain & odour removal spray. It's not pricey, so it'd be worth a shot - just spray it all over after cleaning your bike and see if that helps.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/278194390

Aaaah thanks  1 Thats the advice I was after  10

henryb | 6 years ago
2 likes

Us cyclists are suckers for spending money new products/gadgets to improve our cycling experience. So, in 2018, watch out for my new range of bike perfumes - just one quick spray over your bike will cover up the smell of pigshit for up to 24 hours!

Canyon48 replied to henryb | 6 years ago
1 like
henryb wrote:

Us cyclists are suckers for spending money new products/gadgets to improve our cycling experience. So, in 2018, watch out for my new range of bike perfumes - just one quick spray over your bike will cover up the smell of pigshit for up to 24 hours!

I'll take some!  3

I used mucoff MO94 last night and it pretty much solved the smell issue.

henryb replied to Canyon48 | 6 years ago
4 likes

wellsprop wrote:
henryb wrote:

I'll take some!  3

Great! - you'll notice the advertising said "up to" 24 hours...

beezus fufoon | 6 years ago
1 like

if you ride fast enough you won't notice the smell, my advice, train harder and get your FTP up

CygnusX1 | 6 years ago
7 likes

Do you have a graph to prove the pig shit is causing your bike to smell?

Canyon48 replied to CygnusX1 | 6 years ago
1 like
CygnusX1 wrote:

Do you have a graph to prove the pig shit is causing your bike to smell?

I feel like a committee should be set up and a report produced  3

Grahamd | 6 years ago
2 likes

Big bunny hop over the offending effluent.

ConcordeCX | 6 years ago
4 likes

Have you thought about riding in a different direction?

Beecho | 6 years ago
2 likes

N+1

Road bike.  Check.

Commuter. Check.

Winter commuter. Check.

Winter trainer. Check.

Nipping down the shops, if it gets nicked it gets nicked. Check.

Covered in pig shit...

SingleSpeed | 6 years ago
1 like

There is one option move back to the fucking city or STFU.

Seriously what planet do you live on, Planet Daily Mail? 

Yorkshire wallet replied to SingleSpeed | 6 years ago
1 like

SingleSpeed wrote:

If he soils himself on his rides then the pig shit won't smell as bad. Cheaper than moving house. 

davel replied to SingleSpeed | 6 years ago
11 likes
SingleSpeed wrote:

This is the most OTT and spurious connection with the Daily Mail I've seen yet. Well done.

Canyon48 replied to SingleSpeed | 6 years ago
6 likes
SingleSpeed wrote:

Uhm...

I've never lived in a city.

I wasn't bemoaning the fact there is animal waste on the roads, I don't particularly mind that, I'm used to it as I've always lived in the countryside.

I was merely asking if there's a trick to stop my bike smelling even after cleaning it. But thanks for the comment anyway :p

SingleSpeed replied to Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

wellsprop wrote:
SingleSpeed wrote:

Uhm... I've never lived in a city. I wasn't bemoaning the fact there is animal waste on the roads, I don't particularly mind that, I'm used to it as I've always lived in the countryside. I was merely asking if there's a trick to stop my bike smelling even after cleaning it. But thanks for the comment anyway :p

You've always lived in the countryside and are bemoaing animal waste on the road?

What countryside do you live in? I guess the phonetic kind.

Canyon48 replied to SingleSpeed | 6 years ago
1 like
SingleSpeed wrote:

wellsprop wrote:
SingleSpeed wrote:

Uhm... I've never lived in a city. I wasn't bemoaning the fact there is animal waste on the roads, I don't particularly mind that, I'm used to it as I've always lived in the countryside. I was merely asking if there's a trick to stop my bike smelling even after cleaning it. But thanks for the comment anyway :p

You've always lived in the countryside and are bemoaing animal waste on the road?

What countryside do you live in? I guess the phonetic kind.

Nope, I don't really mind that the roads are pretty bad.

Was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions of a good type of bike cleaner that gets rid of smell a bit better haha.

PRSboy | 6 years ago
3 likes

There must surely be some law that prevents discharge of raw animal waste in this way... can you not complain to the council? (at the risk of angering a farmer in charge of many gallons of pig effluent!)

Leviathan | 6 years ago
2 likes

Pulled Porg is really in this holiday season.

Pages

Latest Comments