Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

5'6 to 5'10. What's your saddle height?

Interested in the sell on potential a bike with an integrated seatpost.

Current range is about 71.5cm to 74cm and I'm 5'8. So, if you are around the same height what is your saddle height (centre of bottom bracket to top of saddle)?

Thank you.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

velochris | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thank you to all those who replied. The answers were very useful.

Altimis | 6 years ago
0 likes

I am 173cm with 77-78cm inseam.

I am quite short legs but have long torso so I can back flat effectively.

From center top of saddle to the center of BB is around 717.25mm.

This is very comforts for my ride.

Saddle choices play large role here for comforts, I used to have cut out saddle which not felt right at all then I switch to non cut out and its felt great since then.

Vili Er | 6 years ago
0 likes

5’ 7.5” and a 30” inseam, so short legs long torso. Saddle top to centre BB is 67.5cm. I used to ride it higher using various methods of self calculation or via ‘man puts data into Retul’, but a couple of years ago I had a new fit done by an ex professional cyclist, now development team manager, which resulted in a lowering of the post and slamming of stem. It turned out to be the best fit I’ve ever had in 32 years of road bike riding! Flat back, lots of power and no discomfort at all.

ibr17xvii | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm bang on 6 feet & my saddle height is 76.5cm. 

kma55 | 6 years ago
0 likes

The normal way of measuring saddle height doesn't take into account crank length, so it might be useful as a guide when you are adjusting your saddle, but comparing people's saddle height without this info doesn't mean a whole lot.

I'm 168 cm / just over 5'6" and when I was on 170mm cranks I had it set to exactly 69cm, that might have been a touch high, I was still experimenting. I have now moved to 165mm cranks and therefore needed to increase the saddle height, it's currently at 693mm, seems about right.

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
1 like

5' 10" (think I have about 81cm inseam) and I have my saddles at between 754mm and 758mm - depending on the saddle as well as the stack height of the pedals and shoes. And thats with 172.5mm cranks.

And yes, I can notice a 1mm difference in saddle height! I doubt it affects performance, but something just doesn't feel "right" - the struggles of having mild OCD.

fukawitribe | 6 years ago
0 likes

FWIW ~5' 5"/165cm and 69cm

kil0ran | 6 years ago
3 likes

5 foot 11, all saddles at 73cm

What's more important for sell-on potential is whether the steerer is uncut or not. If I'm looking for a used bike first thing I check after the nominal frame size how much steerer is available. Anything else is cheap to fix (new seatpost, stem, bar width, etc.). Yes I now a steerer looks fugly with a load of spacers above the stem but without that adjustability available any potential buyer is factoring in a replacement fork.

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm 5ft10.5 so a bit above your range but my floor to top of saddle height is 41", my IL is 32.5"

matthewn5 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm bang on 5'10 (or slightly more in the mornings*), inseam 85.4 cm, and set all my saddles to 72cm above the crank spindle centre. 890 above the pedal spindle centre with 170 cranks.

*People are tallest in the morning, because the spine gradually compacts during the day and recovers over night.

davel replied to matthewn5 | 6 years ago
1 like

matthewn5 wrote:

*People are tallest in the morning, because the spine gradually compacts during the day and recovers over night.

Depends how one sleeps.

I'm most comfortable sleeping standing up in my steel compactor, set to 'Gentle squash', so I tend to start the next day at 5'8". Then I finish the day around 6'4", if I'm in the office, seated in my Rack-o-matic 2000.

peted76 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Mine is 68cm (I'm 169cm).

Not sure what your looking to achieve with this. Everyone is different. The intergrated seatpost will have 'bucketloads' of room to move anyway. Unless you've got freaky measurements, which I'd imagine you'd know about by now.

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
3 likes

Doesnt take into leg length. Everyone is different short leg, long body, vice versa and short short or long long.

velochris replied to CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes
CXR94Di2 wrote:

Doesnt take into leg length. Everyone is different short leg, long body, vice versa and short short or long long.

But I'm not asking if the bike would fit someone, just a general guide on how high people within my height range set their saddles.

Bluebug replied to velochris | 6 years ago
0 likes
velochris wrote:
CXR94Di2 wrote:

But I'm not asking if the bike would fit someone, just a general guide on how high people within my height range set their saddles.

Give us more info on the geometry of the bike.

Bluebug replied to CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes
CXR94Di2 wrote:

This - I can comfortably ride one of my younger male relations bikes as while he's 2 inches taller than me I have longer legs.

velochris replied to Bluebug | 6 years ago
0 likes
Bluebug wrote:
CXR94Di2 wrote:

This - I can comfortably ride one of my younger male relations bikes as while he's 2 inches taller than me I have longer legs.

And do you ride it with a different saddle height or the same saddle height as your own bike?

Latest Comments