Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

The ultimate saddle bag

Several close friends and I have been working on a bicycle saddle bag prototype and would like to get some inputs and feedbacks from fellow cyclists here. We want to make sure we are on the right path to help address the issues that current saddle bags have.

As avid cyclists ourselves, we often time have our dilemmas when it comes to saddle bag. Practical or aesthetic? Size or storage? At one hand we want the saddle bag practicality of carrying around the essentials items like spare tubes and multitools during our rides. On the other hand we want to keep the clean aesthetic of our bike. In the case where the practical sense won the first dilemma, we typically still need to trade off between storage space or utterly bulky saddle bag. Even the ones least concern with aesthetic would shake their heads staring at the brick like saddle bag hanging below the bicycle saddle. Majority of the saddle bags in the market today are boxy and black, which doesn’t help to promote the saddle bag’s stylish or aesthetic aspect.

What do you guys look for when choosing a saddle bag? What is in your wish list of the ultimate saddle bag? If you are not a saddle bag user today, what is holding you back and what will make you switch camp?

Would you be interested if there is a saddle bag that can do the following?
1. Compact enough to carry most of your essential items. Think 2 spare tubes, 2 tire levers,  2 CO2 canisters, Multitools with chain tool, patch kit, all these in a compact form factor.
2. Stylish enough to not ruin your bike aesthetic, this can be quite subjective and personal but assume it meets your styling requirement.
3. Quick attach and release. Much faster than dealing with Velcro.
4. Abundant styling/color choices.

We love to hear your inputs and hopefully we will be able to create something that all the cyclists want to use. Thanks!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

40 comments

survivor | 5 years ago
0 likes
SNAP.B is now live on Kickstarter! Checkout its Kickstarter page here.
Welsh boy replied to survivor | 5 years ago
0 likes

survivor wrote:

It looks good but you really should get someone to proof read your English!

survivor replied to Welsh boy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Welsh boy wrote:

survivor wrote:

It looks good but you really should get someone to proof read your English!

Thank you for your feedback. We will look into it.

aegisdesign | 5 years ago
0 likes

Late to this but I don't use CO2 canisters. Personally don't think they're good for the environment and it really tees me off seeing discarded CO2 cartridges by the road side. And discarded gel packets too. TAKE THEM HOME.

So, any seatpack has to take a 15-16cm long Sapo Aria minipump, 1 tube, Topeak Hexus tool, Stique levers and a Rema Tiptop TT02 patch kit. Plus house key and sometimes a cafe lock.

If someone remade a Kirtland seatwedge from the early 90s I'd be very happy. Long, thin, ladder webbing, velco belt you threaded through the ladder webbing to cinch down the contents and stop the rattle. Killed the zip on mine in about 2010.

LastBoyScout replied to aegisdesign | 5 years ago
0 likes

aegisdesign wrote:

Late to this but I don't use CO2 canisters. Personally don't think they're good for the environment and it really tees me off seeing discarded CO2 cartridges by the road side. And discarded gel packets too. TAKE THEM HOME.

I used to get fed up with this too. Then I started to realise that many of the canisters I was picking up were un-branded and it occurred to me that they might actually be discarded "hippy crack" (nitrous oxide) canisters and just giving cyclists a bad name.

I'll agree on the gel wrappers, though - and they might also be from runners.

Back on topic, I have a Continental case with a spare tube, 2x CO2 and a couple of tyre levers shoe-horned in on my best bike: www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-tube-bag-with-tube-and-tyre-levers

My older bike has a Trek pack similar to the Topeak mini wedge with similar content.

Then I have a small neoprene pouch in a pocket with a couple of hex keys, a few plasters and zip ties, tyre boot, patches, glue, chain breaker and quick link.

If it's a very long ride, I'll take a mini-pump on a bracket and perhaps a second tube somewhere.

aegisdesign replied to LastBoyScout | 5 years ago
0 likes

LastBoyScout wrote:

aegisdesign wrote:

I used to get fed up with this too. Then I started to realise that many of the canisters I was picking up were un-branded and it occurred to me that they might actually be discarded "hippy crack" (nitrous oxide) canisters and just giving cyclists a bad name.

Some are NO but I come across plenty of CO2 also so either cyclists or very confused hippies.

survivor | 5 years ago
0 likes

A quick side by side size comparion against other saddle bags.

//farm2.staticflickr.com/1968/43080080870_54b2b71cf1.jpg)

mattsccm | 5 years ago
1 like

Sorry if its a bit late but might I suggest?:

Not a woven fabric as most are. It holds muck, is never water proof and takes for ever to dry.

Avoid zips. They are the first things to break.

Light fastening that is solid not a strap. So the light always point to the rear not down and doesn't wiggle. Movement means eventual breakage.

Tool free attachment at all stages so not screw on bracket. Crap idea that makes swapping bikes awkward. Velcro is perfect if properly done.  

No interference with possible use of arse saver type splash guards. The type of person who is  fussy about a bags looks is the same person who is daft enough not to use mudguardsblush

Size is irrelevant as we all want different things.

survivor replied to mattsccm | 5 years ago
0 likes

mattsccm wrote:

Sorry if its a bit late but might I suggest?:

Not a woven fabric as most are. It holds muck, is never water proof and takes for ever to dry.

Avoid zips. They are the first things to break.

Light fastening that is solid not a strap. So the light always point to the rear not down and doesn't wiggle. Movement means eventual breakage.

Tool free attachment at all stages so not screw on bracket. Crap idea that makes swapping bikes awkward. Velcro is perfect if properly done.  

No interference with possible use of arse saver type splash guards. The type of person who is  fussy about a bags looks is the same person who is daft enough not to use mudguardsblush

Size is irrelevant as we all want different things.

Thanks for the suggestions. There are a lot of fabric options that we are still working on. Point on woven fabric is well taken.

We think zip is still necessary as it allows easy access to the storage items. We are cautious about the zip quality thus we chose the one with high durability rating.

Tool free attachment is our thing. If you have not check out our preview video please visit https://www.vouel.com

We have a solution for light fastening and splash guard. Details will be reveal in coming days.

BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
0 likes

What was the final internal dimensions of the bag?

Will it be carbon rail friendly, also as I mentioned earlier will it be oval rail compatible?

I ended up buying a Brooks Isle of Wight, it stays on the bike permenantly as I've no need to remove it so the quick release isn't that important to me. It's big enough that I can put foam cannister, tube, mini tool, food bar, you could just about get a packable rain jacket in.

It's certainly a good looking bag and not out of place on a cabon racer and no problems with oval carbon rails either.

Good luck with the product.

survivor replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
0 likes

BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

What was the final internal dimensions of the bag?

Will it be carbon rail friendly, also as I mentioned earlier will it be oval rail compatible?

I ended up buying a Brooks Isle of Wight, it stays on the bike permenantly as I've no need to remove it so the quick release isn't that important to me. It's big enough that I can put foam cannister, tube, mini tool, food bar, you could just about get a packable rain jacket in.

It's certainly a good looking bag and not out of place on a cabon racer and no problems with oval carbon rails either.

Good luck with the product.

We didn't measure the precise dimensions of the bag but it can fit:

1x spare tube

2x CO2 canisters with valve control

1x CO2 dispenser

2x full size tire levers

1x patch kit

1x multi-tool with chain tool

Additional space for valve extender, zip ties and rubber gloves.

Yes it is carbon rail friendly. It is compatible with both round metal rails as well as oversize oval carbon rails.

Brooks Isle of Wight is a nice saddle bag but the size may be on the larger side for some.

tugglesthegreat | 5 years ago
0 likes

For me Evoc Saddle Bag Tour is great. 

It will take two tubes, it's got mesh pouches inside to put leavers and tools. It also has a tarp material down the center part so cleaning mud off is easier. 

Having said all that I guess for some that would not be an ideal saddle bag and they only carry one tube or less don't care about the easy clean feature. 

survivor replied to tugglesthegreat | 5 years ago
0 likes

tugglesthegreat wrote:

For me Evoc Saddle Bag Tour is great. 

It will take two tubes, it's got mesh pouches inside to put leavers and tools. It also has a tarp material down the center part so cleaning mud off is easier.

Having said all that I guess for some that would not be an ideal saddle bag and they only carry one tube or less don't care about the easy clean feature. 

SNAP.B has the option to take two tubes if needed and its easily clean as well.

kil0ran | 5 years ago
1 like

Ah, nice idea. No issue with having the zip at the bottom if you can remove/replace so easily.

Been working on saddle position for the last week or so and one of my pet hates is removing and restrapping my saddle bag. Same frustration applies when putting the bike on the workstand.

Granted this is a very niche annoyance but even so I'm pleased to see a different approach.

survivor | 5 years ago
1 like

Hi! It has been some time.

We are hard at work and we are very close now. Tentatively we are planning for October launch at Kickstarter. We are still working out the details.

As a preview, checkout https://www.vouel.com

If you are interested, subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest updates from us! More details to come, stay tuned!

mikeymustard | 6 years ago
0 likes

It's a big ask to have one bag to do everything.

I've made several saddle bags for myself, and also own a decent sized Carradice (Cadet).

I find a bag of about 15cm x 15 x 15  [around 3 litres] is a nice size for 2-5 hr rides - inside I keep multitool, couple of tubes, CO2, scabs, a sample-sized bottle of chain lube, pvc gloves, a couple of emergency cereal bars etc.

If I'm going for a leisurely day trip my carradice carries all of the above plus: flask and sandwiches, stuff like swimming kit, walking shoes, camera kit etc. and a light raincoat (on outside) and lock (also attached to the outside), with room for other stuff if necessary. It can also be used to carry some shopping home. Carradice claim the Cadet has 13Lcapacity but I think it's actually about 15L!

So if you could make a bag that will carry everything the Carradice can but be only about 15cm cubed, then not only will you have a bag for every eventuality but you'll probably get the Nobel prize for physics too!

survivor replied to mikeymustard | 6 years ago
0 likes

mikeymustard wrote:

It's a big ask to have one bag to do everything.

I've made several saddle bags for myself, and also own a decent sized Carradice (Cadet).

I find a bag of about 15cm x 15 x 15  [around 3 litres] is a nice size for 2-5 hr rides - inside I keep multitool, couple of tubes, CO2, scabs, a sample-sized bottle of chain lube, pvc gloves, a couple of emergency cereal bars etc.

If I'm going for a leisurely day trip my carradice carries all of the above plus: flask and sandwiches, stuff like swimming kit, walking shoes, camera kit etc. and a light raincoat (on outside) and lock (also attached to the outside), with room for other stuff if necessary. It can also be used to carry some shopping home. Carradice claim the Cadet has 13Lcapacity but I think it's actually about 15L!

So if you could make a bag that will carry everything the Carradice can but be only about 15cm cubed, then not only will you have a bag for every eventuality but you'll probably get the Nobel prize for physics too!

We are definitely no Nobel prize winner, and it is out of our design scope to be able to carry everything that the Carradice can. Having said that we do try to achieve a storage capacity one step bigger than its size class typically offers. Hopefully you will like what you see when our solution finally came into fruition. Thanks for your inputs!

drjohn replied to survivor | 6 years ago
1 like

survivor wrote:

Hopefully you will like what you see when our solution finally came into fruitation. 

Did you mean to say "comes to fruition"....?

thewordisnotfruitation.com/

Unless your startup is actually called "fruitation", in which case I applaud both your literary genius and your clever marketing (not clever enough for a Nobel prize though).

survivor replied to drjohn | 6 years ago
0 likes

drjohn wrote:

survivor wrote:

Hopefully you will like what you see when our solution finally came into fruitation. 

Did you mean to say "comes to fruition"....?

thewordisnotfruitation.com/

Unless your startup is actually called "fruitation", in which case I applaud both your literary genius and your clever marketing (not clever enough for a Nobel prize though).

Thanks for pointing that out. Sorry for my bad spelling.

risoto | 6 years ago
0 likes

I prefer to patch my punctured inner tube roadside (I ride alone) and carry the following:

1. Spare inner tube in plastic bag for pretection (for serious emergencies: if you ruin the tube patching it or if the valve fails)

2. 3 Tire levers (need them for very tight fit on my rims) plus I've broken several in the past. Get some from Tacx - unbreakable.

3. Patch kit - Park Tool or Lezyne. Pre-glued are worthless though they might get you home, they don't last.

4. Good pump - just got a Lezyne Road Drive mini pump (size  30

5. Multitool with built-in chain-tool (never had a chain break but might happen)

6. Quick/missing KMC link chain link

7. Tire boot from either Park Tool or Lezyne

8. Smartphone and credit in plastic bag stuffed in a top tube bag - I don't like to carry stuff in my jersey pockets.

I hate velcro saddle bags so it should click to the saddle rails and it should be possible to put a light on the back that DOESN'T fall off! (happened once - I lost it) Look to a secure solution on the Scicon brand.

rowes | 6 years ago
0 likes

In mine, one inner tube, levers, multitool, valve core tool, patches, small bandage, couple of plasters. If I ride In the dark I've a couple of bookman lights in the too. Longer rides maybe some gels or flapjacks shoved in. Out with the kids and wife I'll bring a dumbbell spanner.
I've had one that was almost like a gel case, so a bit firmer. It was great as its waterproof and easy to clean, particularly during winter and for off roading.
Universal clips between bag sizes and bikes is must. As are light loop too.
It would be nice to have a separate, easy to access card/coin section so you don't spill the entire contents outside the cafe.
Different colours sounds good, but meets to be cleanable.

gunswick | 6 years ago
1 like

Topeak already make them, the XL size is great.

survivor replied to gunswick | 6 years ago
1 like

gunswick wrote:

Topeak already make them, the XL size is great.

what do you think about Topeak size M equivalent but with L size storage capability?

akmbikes | 6 years ago
0 likes

For me, in no particular order:

Space to carry two tubes, multitool with chain splitter,  2 tyre levers and, ideally, a few other bits and pieces summing up to the size of another inner tube.

It should be narrow.

A light loop that keeps the light pointing in the correct direction is a must. And it should be able to cope with a decent weight of light.

I'm prefer to have a cinch stap for the saddle and seat post but the one for the saddle should just go right round the bag. Much the best way, as it stays tightly on even if the stiching for the strap to the bag fails. And not having to purchase and fit the quick release mounts is a bonus.

Waterproof would be nice.

No bling design. A nice black bag is fine. If you must bling it at all, put a little reflective piping on it.

Hope it helps...

Al

survivor replied to akmbikes | 6 years ago
0 likes

akmbikes wrote:

For me, in no particular order:

Space to carry two tubes, multitool with chain splitter,  2 tyre levers and, ideally, a few other bits and pieces summing up to the size of another inner tube.

It should be narrow.

A light loop that keeps the light pointing in the correct direction is a must. And it should be able to cope with a decent weight of light.

I'm prefer to have a cinch stap for the saddle and seat post but the one for the saddle should just go right round the bag. Much the best way, as it stays tightly on even if the stiching for the strap to the bag fails. And not having to purchase and fit the quick release mounts is a bonus.

Waterproof would be nice.

No bling design. A nice black bag is fine. If you must bling it at all, put a little reflective piping on it.

Hope it helps...

Al

Storage space for all the listed items - checked

Narrow to avoid bib/tight rubs - checked

A solid attachment place for rear light - checked

Solid and fail safe mean of attachment - checked

Water/weather proof - checked

Bling or black, with reflective deco - checked

I think you will like what you see when our product is ready yes

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
1 like

BTBS is interested in a niche offering looking for an ideal bag for one  3

I'd say that variety is your friend and you're unlikely to find one that suits all. Love the phone idea of being able to access that without all being disturbed. I may have had a brain wave for you, the Russian doll of cycling bags. I carry less in the summer and winter throws up different issues, moisture, mud etc. Why not have a small bag (perhaps not so waterproof) that can be used alone or fit into the bigger bag when required?

Sample will do as payment  3

No Sweat | 6 years ago
0 likes

In no particular order:

Black is the new black - it goes with anything, and is least likely to show bike related oily dirt.

One size is unlikely to fit all.

Somewhere to attach a rear light is a must if the bag takes up seatpost 'real estate', and the light should always point the right way, whatever the load in the bag.

The ideal saddlebag should not make a sound when the bike is in motion - the fixings must be rattle-free and the contents of the bag must be held tightly so they do not move or rattle (compression straps?).

It should be waterproof.

Also, if you can contrive a way to carry a phone so that it's accessable without disturbing everything else in the bag, but it's still held securely and kept dry - then I'm in (probably)!

survivor replied to No Sweat | 6 years ago
0 likes

No Sweat wrote:

Also, if you can contrive a way to carry a phone so that it's accessable without disturbing everything else in the bag, but it's still held securely and kept dry - then I'm in (probably)!

I guess it really depends on the phone size isn't it?  Galaxy Note or iPhone plus will be a though challenge! no

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

Velcro bags are not great but then bags with a QR system are more weighty and they need to be also carbon rail/oval carbon rail friendly which most aren't and are an absolute bugger to fit properly.

If I'm riding with my tubs I'll take a Foam repair canister which acts to infate too, a mini tool and a couple other small bits (zip tie, latex glove, hand wipe), replace with 2xlevers , a single tube and instant patch when riding clinchers. My pump is clamped by its own holder at the bottle cage mounts..

As the bag is not really load bearing something that could clamp onto the saddle rails like a pincer clamp and the bag attaches to the two clamps (Which are left in place) and a finger press release would work great. Or a rubberised strap that is attached at one side but also has a retaining peg, having multiple slots along the strap means you can keep the bag tight but also fit different parts of the bike securely and with scope for different sizings due to the elasticity of the strap and the slots for shortening/lengthening the reach of the strap.

Also, does it need a zip?

Dimensions for a snug racing bike type saddle bag should be circa 16cmx10x13cm LxDxW

survivor replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

Dimensions for a snug racing bike type saddle bag should be circa 16cmx10x13cm LxDxW

The dimension of the prototype that we are working for is more compact than 16cmx10cmx13cm LxDxW so hopefully it will be snug enough smiley

Pages

Latest Comments