Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Undecided between these bikes

Hi everyone.

Right now, my only bike is a MTB (MMR Kendo 10 27.5 2016, Shimano XT)
I want to buy a road bike.

I've narrowed the search to these bikes:

1) Cervélo R2 2017 (Shimano 105 5800)

• carbon frame
  • head tube tapered
  • internal cable routing

2) Rose Xeon RS (Shimano Ultegra 8000 or Shimano 105 5800)

• aluminum frame
  • head tube tapered
  • internal cable routing

3) Rose Pro SL (Shimano Ultegra 8000 or Shimano 105 5800)

• aluminum frame
  • head tube tapered
  • internal cable routing

4) Bianchi Freccia Celeste (Campagnolo Potenza)

• aluminum frame
  • head tube non tapered
  • external cable routing

5) MMR Miracle 2017 (Shimano Dura-Ace 9000)

• carbon frame
  • head tube tapered
  • internal cable routing

All of them seem to be good bikes (based on reviews).
I don't mind about carbon vs aluminum.
I assume that external cable routing does not affect.

But what about the non tapered head tube? Is it really noticeable?
In theory, it gives the front of the bike more stiffness.
What do you think? Is it a deal breaker?

I love the looks of the Bianchi the most, but it is the only one with non tapered head tube.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

matthewn5 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Tapered steerer is only important for full carbon forks.

Internal cabling looks cool, but don't go for an alloy frame with internal cabling, as it can cause stress concentrations that eventually crack (as with my Canyon).

Buy the cheapest one that you like the look of, because if you get the bug, you'll want to replace it within a year or so  3

And you'll get a much better bike used for the same money as a less good new bike. Go and talk to your local bike club. They should be able to help you.

Tretze | 6 years ago
0 likes

Mainly for Endurance and Gran Fondo.

Sniffer | 6 years ago
0 likes

Double post

Sniffer | 6 years ago
0 likes

An eclectic list!

What are you going to use the bike for?

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
1 like

Cervelo is brilliant and I love a carbon - Bianchi's are beautiful but you pay for it.

You're basically choosing between a high powered Samsung phone and an iPhone with these 2, substance vs style...

Tretze | 6 years ago
1 like

Actually, after a lot of searching, I found all of these bikes on discount.

The difference between the cheapest (Cervelo) and the most expensive (Bianchi) is 400-500€.

I live in Mallorca.

The brick and mortar shops here have limited stock and only for the most sold brands (Giant, Orbea, BH, etc...)

longassballs | 6 years ago
1 like

Good advice up top. It also depends on budget obviously. Without looking up the individual bikes you've mentioned it looks like they vary in price quite a lot between the 105 and Dura Ace groupset options. Rose, Canyon, Giant etc are generallt considered good value for money, among othets and ignoring sale prices.

Regarding tapered head tube I highly doubt that you'd notice, especially being your first road bike. Besides, if you get the Bianchi you'll only know when you get a new bike in 5 years! Good reason for trying before you buy though

Johnnyvee | 6 years ago
1 like

Get to a bricks and mortar shop and try as many bikes as you can. If you have any roadie mates sling a leg over theirs.
Road bikes like mtbs vary so much in fit and function that it's all too easy to be seduced but test rides will help determine what you want. If you've already done this and are sure any of these are the right bike for you go for the one you like the look of the most as you'll ride it more.
I had set ideas or thought I had when I went to buy a bike after a few weeks got something I love but it wasn't even on my radar.
If you have an Evans nearby they do test rides though they may not have every bike. But test rides before parting with cash would be my advice and any bike shops worth their salt should do them.

Latest Comments