Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Pedestrian dies after collision with cyclist (Bristol)

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-man-nick-graydon-dies-908945

A man has died after being hit by a cyclist.

Nick Graydon died in hospital on Saturday, December 9, two weeks after the incident in which he suffered serious head injuries.

The 27-year-old was hit by a cyclist in Brook Road, Bristol, at around 8pm on Saturday, November 25.

A cyclist was travelling on Lower Cheltenham Road onto Brook Road in Montpelier when they collided with Mr Graydon

Avon and Somerset police say Mr Graydon appeared to have stepped out into the road from behind a parked van, and they are appealing for witnesses to come forward.

A police spokesperson said: "We're keen to hear from anyone who was in the area at the time of the incident who may have information to help our enquiries.

"If you are able to help, call our collision investigation unit on 101, providing the reference 5217270720."

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

Kristina29 | 5 years ago
0 likes

I never thought it's possible until I read this..

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
6 likes

Clubs, I think the point being raised was:

"A man has died after being hit by a cyclist"

And

"girl has died, after she was involved in a collision with a bus"

Suggesting cyclists just love to collide. Furthermore rhetoric usually points to "a cyclist" and "hitting" as opposed to "a car", "a bus" and "accident". It appears a person is in control of a bike but when it becomes another vehicle it is the vehicles fault and just one of those things...

PRSboy | 6 years ago
4 likes

Yes, the comments made me despair.

However, I noticed this:

"The 27-year-old was hit by a cyclist in Brook Road, Bristol, at around 8pm on Saturday, November 25.

A cyclist was travelling on Lower Cheltenham Road onto Brook Road in Montpelier when they collided with Mr Graydon"

Its telling that the rhetoric of this report personalises the people involved and infers the cyclist did the colliding.  Compare to this other tragic story yesterday, which immediately distances the bus driver from blame.

"A 14-year-old girl has died, after she was involved in a collision with a bus in Beeston last night.

The teenager, who has not been named, was riding a bicycle at the time, when she was involved in the collision."

http://www.nottinghampost.com/news/nottingham-news/14-year-old-cyclist-d...

ClubSmed replied to PRSboy | 6 years ago
0 likes

PRSboy wrote:

However, I noticed this:

"The 27-year-old was hit by a cyclist in Brook Road, Bristol, at around 8pm on Saturday, November 25.

A cyclist was travelling on Lower Cheltenham Road onto Brook Road in Montpelier when they collided with Mr Graydon"

Its telling that the rhetoric of this report personalises the people involved and infers the cyclist did the colliding.  Compare to this other tragic story yesterday, which immediately distances the bus driver from blame.

"A 14-year-old girl has died, after she was involved in a collision with a bus in Beeston last night.

The teenager, who has not been named, was riding a bicycle at the time, when she was involved in the collision."

To be fair I do not think that minors can be named....

FluffyKittenofT... replied to PRSboy | 6 years ago
1 like

PRSboy wrote:

However, I noticed this:

Absolutely.  I keep hearing the defence for the driver-erasing/blame-avoiding way RTC's involving motorised vehicles and their users are reported that 'they have to be legally careful about implying blame'. 

Yet the same thing never seems to be an issue when its a cyclist and a pedestrian.  It's pretty much always framed as 'the cyclist hit/ran into/knocked down the pedestrian'.

TheScotsman replied to FluffyKittenofTindalos | 6 years ago
2 likes

FluffyKittenofTindalos wrote:

Yet the same thing never seems to be an issue when its a cyclist and a pedestrian.  It's pretty much always framed as 'the cyclist hit/ran into/knocked down the pedestrian'.

Or , more accurately, it's often stated that 'the cyclist PLOUGHED into the pedestrian'.

If they want to remove the driver in these statements and avoid saying "A driver drove into a pedestrian", they should also remove 'the pedestrian' and reframe it as:

"A car collided with a pair of shoes".

PRSboy replied to TheScotsman | 6 years ago
1 like

TheScotsman wrote:

FluffyKittenofTindalos wrote:

Or , more accurately, it's often stated that 'the cyclist PLOUGHED into the pedestrian'.

If they want to remove the driver in these statements and avoid saying "A driver drove into a pedestrian", they should also remove 'the pedestrian' and reframe it as:

"A car collided with a pair of shoes".

Or in the case of a cyclist/car... "a car had a collision with a pair of shoes, which were not wearing hi viz or a helmet"

don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
4 likes

Perhaps someone could ask the Bristol commenters about this story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-42310180

Who was at faults here?

The first one to hit her?

The second?

The third?

The fourth?

Or perhaps the victim for not getting out of the way (on a crossing)?

This country is proper fucked.

Bluebug replied to don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
1 like

don simon wrote:

Who was at faults here?

The second?

The third?

The fourth?

It depends on whether the green man was there for her to walk across.

Unfortunately if you, as a pedestrian or a cyclist, use a crossing and the green man isn't there and get hit it is your own fault. 

However every single motorist that hit her should have stopped.  They can all  now be prosecuted for not stopping at the scene of an accident, regardless of whether there is proof about what colour the lights were.

CygnusX1 replied to Bluebug | 6 years ago
2 likes

Bluebug wrote:

don simon wrote:

Who was at faults here?

The second?

The third?

The fourth?

Unfortunately if you, as a pedestrian or a cyclist, use a crossing and the green man isn't there and get hit it is your own fault. 

Its got sweet FA to do with whether she had a green man or not. Flesh and bone trumps any "priority" given by traffic lights. 

Edit: Rule 198.Give way to anyone still crossing after the signal for vehicles has changed to green. This advice applies to all crossings.

ClubSmed replied to CygnusX1 | 6 years ago
4 likes

CygnusX1 wrote:

Bluebug wrote:

don simon wrote:

Who was at faults here?

The second?

The third?

The fourth?

Its got sweet FA to do with whether she had a green man or not. Flesh and bone trumps any "priority" given by traffic lights. 

Edit: Rule 198.Give way to anyone still crossing after the signal for vehicles has changed to green. This advice applies to all crossings.

The quote you gave from the Highway Code infers pedestrians crossing who started while the green man was still on but have not completed their journey across before it changed.

While I agree with your sentiment, the most vunerable road user should always be given priority. However the vunerable road users also own some responsability because *if a pedestrian decides to run out on a pedestrian crossing when the green man is not on then it can be hard or impossible to avoid impact with them.

*I am not saying that this is the situation in this case, I am just exploring all hypothetical points of view

CygnusX1 replied to ClubSmed | 6 years ago
1 like

ClubSmed wrote:

CygnusX1 wrote:

Bluebug wrote:

The quote you gave from the Highway Code infers pedestrians crossing who started while the green man was still on but have not completed their journey across before it changed.

While I agree with your sentiment, the most vunerable road user should always be given priority. However the vunerable road users also own some responsability because *if a pedestrian decides to run out on a pedestrian crossing when the green man is not on then it can be hard or impossible to avoid impact with them.

*I am not saying that this is the situation in this case, I am just exploring all hypothetical points of view

@ClubSmed - and I totally agree with you.

I'm not saying pedestrians shoud not bear *some* responsibility for their actions, just that simple lack of green man does not automatically imply the fault is with the pedestrian as per BB's post.

You are right in saying rule 198 implies a ped who started crossing on a green man. However if you take it and a number of other rules relating to other road user behaviour around pedestrians all add up to what can be summarised as "a pedestrian in the carriageway has priority".

cyclisto | 6 years ago
0 likes

https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2011/oct/28/mortality-statisti...

Ban dogs, wasps and lightnings and everybody will be fine.

Eton Rifle | 6 years ago
4 likes

Christ, the fucking comments under that article already make me want to puke. Tragic that the poor chap has died but the anti -cycling twats are already ratcheting up the hate in the absence of the actual facts.

brakesmadly replied to Eton Rifle | 6 years ago
1 like

Eton Rifle wrote:

Christ, the fucking comments under that article already make me want to puke. Tragic that the poor chap has died but the anti -cycling twats are already ratcheting up the hate in the absence of the actual facts.

Try living in Bristol. The Post has at least one story per week that lets the mouth-breathers fist pound their keyboards about the standard list of cyclist misdeeds.  I have a standard response saved that lists all their rants so that I can save them the effort of wittering on about 'road tax', insurance, red lights, etc etc. Doesn't make any difference though.

In fact pretty much anything to do with roads or transports ends up as a cycling hate-fest.

MonkeyPuzzle replied to brakesmadly | 6 years ago
3 likes

mbrads72 wrote:

Eton Rifle wrote:

Try living in Bristol. The Post has at least one story per week that lets the mouth-breathers fist pound their keyboards about the standard list of cyclist misdeeds.  I have a standard response saved that lists all their rants so that I can save them the effort of wittering on about 'road tax', insurance, red lights, etc etc. Doesn't make any difference though.

In fact pretty much anything to do with roads or transports ends up as a cycling hate-fest.

This. I actually think that the Post has a contract with the Rent-a-Twat Internet Commenters Agency, as the comments on any Post article are always a particularly spectacular shade of callous, totally at odds with my experience of Bristolians in general.

Latest Comments