Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Vulpine - What are they now?

Will Vulpine continue to exist beyond the seemingly never ending sell-off of old stock?

Sadly I think the whole charade has unmasked the slightly iffy quality that was being peddled just before the administrators were called in, and as a result the brand has died for me in honesty. It’s a shame because they were my go-to for cycling/casual gear (when there was a sale on anyway).

What’s going on there? Has someone just bought the old stock in the hope of making a quick buck?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

BobbyG | 6 years ago
0 likes

It's an interesting strategy to go straight back in with high-end products whilst continuing to sell off the old gear and when there's lots of uncertainty/speculation surrounding Vulpine.

I can't say I'm in the slightest bit tempted to part with any serious cash for a product from a company which (in my opinion) is in need of a reputation re-build.

David Arthur @d... | 6 years ago
0 likes

Just to clarify the Mango/Vulpine situation, here's what Simon M wrote in a recent news story

In May, we reported that Vulpine was rescued from administration by Mango. The firm’s directors created WilChap 564 Ltd for the acquisition from which Harrison has since resigned. Vulpine now has a new design team and has relocated to Sheffield.

from http://road.cc/content/news/230856-mango-bikes-ceases-trading-seeks-buye...

amazon22 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Had a flyer from them the other day offering a Ventile Mac for £450 ...

janusz0 replied to amazon22 | 6 years ago
0 likes

amazon22 wrote:

Had a flyer from them the other day offering a Ventile Mac for £450 ...

I was tempted by that offer.  I have an ancient, well used and well loved Ventile cycling jacket.  A Ventile coat would be awesome street wear in a downpour.  They don't say whether it's single or double layer, though at that price I'd certainly expect double layer.  They're weighty, but flexible, reassuringly waterproof and never feel wet inside, c.f. Goretex at 1 C in the rain.  Also better in the unlikely event that you find yourself in a burning building!

VeloUSA | 6 years ago
2 likes

In the states a failing company doesn't buy another failing company they merge to form one bigger failing company which eventually will collapse.  They prolong the collapse to sell old stock like its new stock while executives collect fat paychecks as they negotiate selling the patent design rights and mfg equipment. JMO

philhubbard | 6 years ago
0 likes

Got sold to Ben Harrison for £1 in September didn't it? 

Edit: Ben Harrison, the guy that used to own it

kil0ran | 6 years ago
0 likes

It was an odd fit for Mango, suspect there is more to it than meets the eye. What's left is being relocated to the Sheffield area, not sure if there is a link up with Planet X in the offing.

BobbyG | 6 years ago
0 likes

Exactly.  I'm at a loss as to how a company so close to administration themselves can purchase another business.

DrG82 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Hasn't the company that bought them out of administration (Mango) itself gone into administration recently? A company which also sold cheap imported stuff with some dubious quality and prices.

In which case who's going to rescue the rescuers?

Latest Comments