Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wahoo Elemnt Vs Elemnt Bolt

Does anyone here know if the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt is actually a better or worse unit than the standard Elemnt?

Im going to order one today and with the standard unit being on black friday deals everywhere its actually £10 cheaper for the bundle. I prefer the styling of the bolt by far but since the prices are so similar is the normal unit a better option? What about the extra LED rows? Do they improve it in any way?

Just wondering if in the time between the releases, is the size and profile the only difference?

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Doctor, if people are happy then fine. However, there was an early clammer to bash the Garmin (had 2 and both work fine) and herald the Wahoo very early in its lifecycle. We now hear its plastic may be dodgy, button build quality is poor and one of its USPs is poor when used in the most common cycling conditions. So maybe not the great piece of kit advertised.

Why take a £50 trade in, they hold their value really well...

amazon22 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Had an Elemnt - returned it as a) I couldn't hear any sound, at all and b) the side buttons were very vague. Found it a bit big but I could have lived with that. Changed it for a Bolt and couldn't be happier - super loud, lovely positive buttons, battery lasts near enough forever, mapping is readable, tbt works fine. LED's are near invisible in sunlight, or even summer level daylight but I can live with that. 

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

So the bike computer with a tiny market share continually offered as 'better' than the (supposedly crap) market leader acts like a Brexiter (no metric for you) and is falling apart.

Sounds awesome! 

DoctorFish replied to alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

alansmurphy wrote:

So the bike computer with a tiny market share continually offered as 'better' than the (supposedly crap) market leader acts like a Brexiter (no metric for you) and is falling apart.

Sounds awesome! 

Stick with your far superior Garmin then.  Just don't come to us asking for advice of which rock solid Wahoo to buy when the Garmin crashes mid ride for the hundredth time loosing all your data, then takes 5 minutes to reboot and needs a further factory reset.  Best thing I did with the garmin was to get £50 trade in for it against an elemnt, only reason it didn't get thrown in a bush is  because I detest littering.  Only thing I don't like about the elemnt is the spelling of the name.  

PS, nothing supposed about whether my garmin was crap

Huw Watkins | 6 years ago
1 like

Swapped a crap Garmin 820 for a Bolt and have not regretted for an instant. Quite the opposite.  It just works.  Did try a Elemnt for 1/2 day about a year ago and found it just too large.

The Bolt's only idiosyncrasy is to sometimes revert to metric from imperial of its own accord.  

I have also recently started to notice a very slight rattle from the mount where I think repeated removal  / replacment of the unit has loosened everything up a little.  

asdfqwerty replied to Huw Watkins | 6 years ago
0 likes

Huw Watkins wrote:

I have also recently started to notice a very slight rattle from the mount where I think repeated removal  / replacment of the unit has loosened everything up a little.  

Same here, with the Elemnt. It's only 9 months old, too! Hopefully just the mount wearing down and not the attachment point on the computer!

part_robot | 6 years ago
0 likes

Identical performance. Identical software. Elemnt has bigger screen, better battery life, higher resolution (still very low versus a phone though) and two rows of LEDs. I prefer it for those reasons. The audio is much quieter though and that's both annoying (can't hear it telling me to turn) but also good (people don't get annoyed on a group ride). The screen is also a slightly different shade of gray.... That's about it.

If you hate the design of the Elemnt (it really has a look only its mother could love, although it's grown on me), have good eyesight and don't need the extra info on the screen then pick the Bolt. Want all the stuff I said above and can learn to love a chamfered brick, get the Elemnt.

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
2 likes

Get the Bolt then. I got the Bolt to save bar real estate and I love it. It's like a Garmin with one critical difference - it works flawlessly all the time yes.

ricardito | 6 years ago
1 like

As far as I understand, the two are functionally identical except for the extra LEDs on the Elemnt, in all other respects sharing a firmware base.

I have the Bolt, and find the maps perfectly good for navigating unfamiliar lanes in the rural area I live in, using routes synced from Komoot (you can also sync from Ride With GPS if you prefer). Using monochrome maps to navigate on a small screen without a pre-planned route might be a challenge too far!

You can choose how much data to have on the map screen - I just have one line (two fields, which you can choose depending what's most important to you), but I think (haven't checked recently) that you can sacrifice map space and have a second line.

For what it's worth, the LEDs can be hard to see in bright daylight; I'm not sure I'd want to be reliant on them.

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
1 like

Ive got the Elemnt, my mates have the bolt.  Does exactly the same thing, but I find the larger screen beneficial with the map view and a few data displays above.  My friends bolt he says the map is quite small with data ontop.

Latest Comments