Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Advice Required : Which direct mount brakes to pair with Sram Etap?

Awkward first post. Be gentle folks.

Just wanted some advice on direct mount brake options for use with Sram Etap? About to do a build of a new Tarmac, using Etap for the drivetrain, but can't decide on brakes the brake caliper choice. Any advice from anyone who's had this dilema? 

Thx

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

andytye1 | 6 years ago
0 likes

To update those interested - Sram this afternoon have anounced a new set of direct mount rim brakes calipers - the S-900 - I'd like to think it was straight off the back of me writing this post.

https://www.sram.com/stories/introducing-new-s-900-direct-mount-rim-brak...

TypeVertigo | 6 years ago
1 like

Yep Shimano seem to be the default choice for direct-mount rim brake calipers, even for pro teams such as Katusha which would otherwise run SRAM gear.

andytye1 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I think I'll end up with the Dura-Ace or possibly Ultegra if funds are tighter. Bontrager have the SpeedStop direct mount but they seem to get mixed reviews. Thanks again for your advice.

RR | 6 years ago
0 likes

Not many direct mount brakes out there. Shimano have best range. Dura-Ace is the pick to go with Etap.

Otherwise something like the very lightweight eebrakes but they are twice the price for not quite as much performance.

Sounds like it'll be a great bike!

kil0ran | 6 years ago
0 likes

Any SRAM or Shimano caliper will work fine. Campys would require an inline barrel adjuster fitting.

No experience with SRAM rim brakes but Ultegra or 105 are hard to fault, even with stock pads.

DrJDog | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm using Shimano calipers with my SRAM levers - seems to work ok even though they say it won't.

Latest Comments