Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Error message

An illegal choice has been detected. Please contact the site administrator.

What's the longest you've been on the turbo?

Bit of a lightweight when it comes to the turbo, my longest is about 75 minutes on Zwift.

What feats of stupidity have you managed?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

43 comments

DaSy | 6 years ago
0 likes

I did 4 1/2 hours a few times on my old Tacx Fortius, doing a RLV of Ventoux from Bedoin and Malaucene (I was training for the Cingles at the time). Funny how I found that when outside on the bike, nutrition, or should I say just eating seems natural, but when doing these sessions I forgot to eat until several hours in.

The wind from my industrial fan still didn't quite emulate the somewhat breezey (!) nature of Ventoux.

kitsunegari | 6 years ago
0 likes

4 hours is the longest I've done, and it was tough.

I need to get a lot of miles in to try and qualify for PBP2019 and during winter I can't get out during the day so have little choice.

ibr17xvii | 6 years ago
0 likes

2 1/2 hours on Zwift is my max & I was absolutely knackered.

Wanting to complete The Pretzel on Watopia over the winter so I'll have to beat that.

davel | 6 years ago
1 like

I've done a few 2 1/2 and 3 hour trainerroad sessions. I tend to just have the software on the screen and music, and mentally, I think that's about the limit of what I can put myself through in my garage.

I enjoy turbo sessions but beyond 2 hours feels like masochism to me - more bleak than the most horrible actual events that I've done that last all day.

aboooo | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've done 5hrs 15 minutes.
​I do the odd triathlon and wanted to plan my power out for racing Roth. So I loaded the profile of the course into Trainer Road and rode it before running to try and get it right. (I couldn't practise on the real course as it's in Germany and I'm here).

It didn't work. There's something just more tiring about being on a turbo. I was close to death riding the turbo on less power than the real course where I got off fresh as a daisy. 

It wasn't that terrible though, I had the TV on for part of it then swtched to the radio. Having said that, I won't be doing it again.

davel replied to aboooo | 6 years ago
1 like
aboooo wrote:

I've done 5hrs 15 minutes.

​I do the odd triathlon and wanted to plan my power out for racing Roth. So I loaded the profile of the course into Trainer Road and rode it before running to try and get it right.

That seems like the brick from hell. How far did you run afterwards?

Roth's on my list - heard lots of good things about it. It's quite a long list though...

fenix | 6 years ago
0 likes

About 75 mins on trainerroad.
Doing an hour with Zwift is very easy to do.
I've heard of people doing iron distance on a turbo but I'm not sure how beneficial that kind of thing is.

drosco | 6 years ago
1 like

5 and a half hours. Decided it was great training for a ride in the Dolomites. It was duller than BBC parliment.

simonmb | 6 years ago
1 like

I had to train for a 24-hour ride, and with two months to go I wasn't able to get out and spend time on the bike (children to mind), so I managed many nights of three-hour stretches on the turbo. No Zwift in those days, just an iPod loaded with AC/DC, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple.

The first twenty minutes were the worst - after that I got in to a zone and the time passed surpringly quickly!

Without something like a 24-hour ride to aim for, it's 30-mins max - to a GCN YouTube interval turbo session.

Woldsman | 6 years ago
0 likes

About 20 minutes. I thought it would be boring (it was) and I would be too hot (I was), but it was my thighs burning out that stopped me. I must have another go...

HLaB | 6 years ago
0 likes

Don't think I've ever turboed more than 60mins and I prefer the short interval sessions to break it up.

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

40-50 mins. Found it boring - though doing GCN videos helped

don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
1 like

About 5-10 mins.

Bores the crap out of me.

Rollers on the other hand have seen stints of 2 hours+.

Pages

Latest Comments