Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Advice needed on this used bike - Spec Inside

Hi all, so I've know someone who's selling a GT grade carbon with the following spec -

Sram Rival 2X10 set up
Sram Force/Apex brake/gear levers
Fulcrum Sport disc wheel set
Pro XCR stem
Pro carbon seat post
Hayes MX5 disc brakes set

Excuse my ignorance but what's going on with the spec? Has this been a donor bike and these are the leftover parts?

I don't have enough knowledge to make out what the spec is. Not sure about those brakes.

Asking price is £750. Frame is described as excellent condition. But what is this actually worth?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Blimey, i thought it was just to look awful!

You lern summat knew every days.

1 like

There's one other buyer beware!

What kind of person drops the stem down the steerer fork but leaves it angled up rather than flipping the stem?!?!

DrJDog replied to alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

alansmurphy wrote:

There's one other buyer beware!

What kind of person drops the stem down the steerer fork but leaves it angled up rather than flipping the stem?!?!

It's a stiffer arrangement to get the same height on the bars.

kil0ran | 6 years ago
0 likes

Are you used to SRAM shifting? I had it for a while (Force group) and absolutely hated it. Constant fettling of front mech required and unreliable shift response from the levers, particularly in winter gloves. Brakes on this are also pants.

You could probably build your own from bits off eBay for less. Frankenbikes can be cool (my dry bike is a parts bin special) but usually only when you've built it yourself...

1 like

It may be a Frankenbike but I don't see a problem comparing it to the Grade Tiagra Peted76, depending on the condition of the bike obviously.

The wheels and discs are probably about the same quality, the seatpost and stem a slight upgrade, not sure how the rival drivetrain compares to tiagra, probably not much in it.

The 2017 GT Grade AL is where I'd compare, one is new at £750 and the other is second hand. The AL has 11 speed 105 whereas the second hand is a carbon frame.

Very much depends on what you want to use it for, condition and size - or if you could drop it another £100 then it's a bit of a steal...

peted76 replied to alansmurphy | 6 years ago
1 like

alansmurphy wrote:

It may be a Frankenbike but I don't see a problem comparing it to the Grade Tiagra Peted76, depending on the condition of the bike obviously.

The wheels and discs are probably about the same quality, the seatpost and stem a slight upgrade, not sure how the rival drivetrain compares to tiagra, probably not much in it.

The 2017 GT Grade AL is where I'd compare, one is new at £750 and the other is second hand. The AL has 11 speed 105 whereas the second hand is a carbon frame.

Very much depends on what you want to use it for, condition and size - or if you could drop it another £100 then it's a bit of a steal...

I agree with alan, although you'd have different shifters, it's not a 'bad spec' per se..

Simboid | 6 years ago
0 likes

Looks like they've bought the wrong size bike (Grades are very big), been unable to take it back and either sold off the parts or put them on another bike.

Either that or they got a deal on the wrong sized frame and put other mismatched bargains on it.

Avoid. Get a new one at around 40% off with a full warantee and interest free credit, way less hassle.

peted76 | 6 years ago
1 like

Wow. 

I think you've nailed this with your first sentence. It's a 'Frankenbike'. 

This 'bike' as you see it is functional yes, but it's a million miles away from a spec that anyone would buy.

Someone's had all the bits off this frame and put them elsewhere.. they have then begged, borrowed and fudged the rest of it with cheap bits to make it into a 'functional' bike. You can buy a carbon GT Grade with Tiagra and matching bits for £999 - I bet the frame is the same.

Also the bars are higher than the saddle, so it's not been done by someone who knows anything about road bikes.

mart85 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Asking for advice - interesting deal to be had or wouldn't touch with a barge pole?

mart85 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Here are some pics

Latest Comments