Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New sram red/etap rumours

About to start buying parts for a new bike build for next year and I'm wondering if there have been any rumours of a new sram red groupset. My build will be an emonda slr with etap but looking back, red 22 has been out since 2013? And etap came in end of 2015 so would think it is due an update soon enough but a decent search and I can't find anything. Anyone got any titbits? Red 24 etap anyone?
Obviously don't want to blow nearly £2k if there's an update on the horizon.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

Rohloff Speedhub incl shifter, cables, cable guide is 1820g, that's with gears that are designed to do 60,000 miles so different materials for the internal sprockets plus a wireless shift system would knock quite a weight off that, you could also make the hub shell out of carbon fibre and the axle too which would bring that weight down even more.

The big advantage for racing would be the aerodynamics which outweigh weight.

A CF internal hub gear on a CF rim and as I've mentioned in another thread possibly even contactless gear changing (using a finger motion or special glove/finger end attachment) would make the weight over a high end rear hub plus derailleurs not that much at all and certainly more aero

richgill77 | 6 years ago
0 likes

The hardest decision was between rim brakes and discs but at 70kg and a fairweather rider rim brakes will be more than fine for me.

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

Save your money fella, wireless internal hub gears will be the next big step in competition level road bikes, losses in drivetrain efficiency will be brought down to that of a top end derailleur system (no chainline issues either), your chain is also going to be stronger and never be unshipped and derailleurs will become obsolete.

You'll have a straight through gear system that allows you a 600% range without ever exposing the sprockets, weight penalty, well you'll hardly notice it at all because of the minimum weight limit in force, I'm surprised riders don't actually use a Brooks tbh.

If you're worried about whatever the next incremental step is going to be is going to be much better than present then you'll be dissapointed.

mike the bike replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
1 like

BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

Save your money fella, wireless internal hub gears will be the next big step in competition level road bikes, losses in drivetrain efficiency will be brought down to that of a top end derailleur system (no chainline issues either), your chain is also going to be stronger and never be unshipped and derailleurs will become obsolete.

You'll have a straight through gear system that allows you a 600% range without ever exposing the sprockets, weight penalty, well you'll hardly notice it at all because of the minimum weight limit in force, I'm surprised riders don't actually use a Brooks tbh.

If you're worried about whatever the next incremental step is going to be is going to be much better than present then you'll be dissapointed.

Interesting idea Mr Shed and a development I would like to see.  I've always been a fan of hub cogs, they have considerable advantages over derailleurs, some of which you have mentioned.

But I wonder if they really can get the weight down?  The inside of an Alfine 11 is a complex beast and without resorting to exotic, and expensive, materials it won't be easy to shave off a kilo'.  And they will have to reduce the weight, never mind the pro's working below the UCI minimum, it's the likes of you and me on our 8 kg machines they must convince to buy it.

We can live in hope.

rando | 6 years ago
0 likes

Interesting that Wiggle now have the etap groupset on offer

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-etap-hrd-groupset/

I know this is the hrd groupset but does make you think if an updated version is on the way.

richgill77 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Yeah agree with the whole force etap being a priority. I can get a good price on etap so its no hardship to sell on and get the new one if I feel I need it although I've made do quite ok with 6800 ultegra for 3 years.

kil0ran | 6 years ago
0 likes

Think we're more likely to see eTap Force or eTap Eagle XX before an update to Red. And SRAM are pretty focused on 1x drivetrains so maybe 12 speed Red eTap.

Also eTap prices are so firm and supply is pretty short so I doubt there'll be heavy discounting. Not much arriving the used market so you'll get a good price if you feel you have to upgrade

Latest Comments