Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Athena 3x11 rings in 2x11 crank

Hi, I have the triple groupset Athena 3x11, with alloy cranks at 904g. I've seen some carbon ones (athena, potenza etc) at clearance price, and I'm trying to figure out if I can install that and swap the rings.

The triple uses normal 135bcd and the middle ring is a triplizer, so the point is chainline and chainstay clearance. I've looked for manuals and specs, but only found details for the double power torque, not for the triple so that I could compare...
It would be cool if it works, saving about 200g at $130 sounds good to me. That including the extra ring weight.

But I don't want to buy and end up not using. The point of lighter crank is to climb hills anyway, and I use the small ring often.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes

You be lucky to get a front or rear derailleur to take up the slack and have enough clearance on the front.

ericoschmitt | 6 years ago
0 likes

I know 200g wont make the difference, but added weight of several parts may be 2kg... its 7kg right now and 6.8 is really cool! hahaha

I'm 176cm 61-63kg usually, varies a lot. I mean, I can eat 1 kg and swet another in a few hours, and my lowest was 59 after riding 240k in a 35-40c heat due to dehydratation...

Back to the crankset, I love triples, I'd ride a quad if I could. Ive designed a bcd adapter from the 92bcd to 74bcd so I can run a 24t ring and 12-25 cassette, but havent built it yet. Im using 12-29 and 30/39/52 stock rings in this bike, but my 2x10 one has 34x36 bottom gear and I use it to spin up a few steep hills around. I love spinning AND climbing, AND close ratio cassettes, Im really sad triples are gone! Stuck in this athena crankset...

Dream setup would be 24/40/56 and a 14-25 11s cassette. And carbon crank. But what can I do.....

srchar | 6 years ago
0 likes

Won't work. The chain line will be wrong.

How much do you weigh? You could burn off 200g of body fat in a day with a suitably long ride. It'll be cheaper and more enjoyable than faffing around trying to get Frankenstein groupset combinations working on something with such tight tolerances as 11-speed.

turnerjohn | 6 years ago
0 likes

If Campag is like shimano triple and double shift in different increments so can lead to rubbing on the front mech...very annoying less you change the shifters and front mech as well. 

As above stick with what you have

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

If you think 200g is going to make a difference to climbing you're sadly mistaken, stick to what you have, you'll have more gear options and a wider choice of available gears without the bigger jumps of a wider cassette to compensate for a double clanger.

Latest Comments