Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Is this really the state of cycling in London?

Some serious organ donors in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtV51NUtg4Y

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

fenix | 6 years ago
0 likes

Is it a compilation ? We could all fill a YouTube video from bad road users.

jasecd replied to fenix | 6 years ago
1 like

fenix wrote:

We could fill all of YouTube with bad road users.

jollygoodvelo replied to jasecd | 6 years ago
2 likes

jasecd wrote:

fenix wrote:

We could fill all of YouTube with bad road users.

But then where would the cat videos go?

srchar | 6 years ago
2 likes

Yes. But you should see the state of the driving...

boxrick | 6 years ago
1 like

Every time I saw someone squeeze through those gaps I cringed. The bad cyclist situation doesn't seem too bad here in Manchester.

But if you have to jump red lights or do stupid things, at least look first...

I've made a few bad late decisions myself. As you say the main difference here is most of the damage is going to be self inflicted.

Kadinkski | 6 years ago
5 likes

No. Its a selective youtube video, why would anyone think it accurately reflects the state of cycling in London? Wierd question.

dmack | 6 years ago
0 likes

Pain in the neck are the ones who use the cycle superhighways in London, and ignore the traffic signals that are meant to make their journey safe! Walking up from Southwark to Blackfriars Bridge I lost count of the muppets who did this.

dmack | 6 years ago
1 like

Pain in the neck are the ones who use the cycle superhighways in London, and ignore the traffic signals that are meant to make their journey safe! Walking up from Southwark to Blackfriars Bridge I lost count of the muppets who did this.

hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
5 likes

I'd much rather see the idiots on bikes than have them in cars. It's simple damage limitation.

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
2 likes

I see this every day when I cycle across Bristol. Muppets on bikes just going everywhere doing whatever they want with no awareness about anyone around them.

I have significantly more near misses with cyclists than cars - near misses with cars tend to just be a little more life-threatening.

Goldfever4 replied to Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

wellsprop wrote:

I see this every day when I cycle across Bristol. Muppets on bikes just going everywhere doing whatever they want with no awareness about anyone around them.

I have significantly more near misses with cyclists than cars - near misses with cars tend to just be a little more life-threatening.

Got to agree. IMO there is a greater proportion of reckless cyclists in Bristol than in London and Edinburgh (where I have lived previously). My view is that London has a greater proportion of less confident and less intelligent riding, things like avoiding riding primary, going up the inside of a bus or truck at junctions, and ignoring stop lights.

Bikebikebike | 6 years ago
0 likes

Not much there putting other people than the rider in danger.  And apart from going down the side of lorries, there isn't anything egregious in there.  Highlights the need for proper infrastructure to allow cyclists to get from A to B safely.

Dnnnnnn | 6 years ago
4 likes

Not really in my experience. There are hundreds of thousands cycling every day in London so building up a collection of twattish behaviour isn't difficult, especially at congested times and places. There are a significant minority who are selfish and reckless, particularly in charging through pedestrian crossings or riding on the pavement. But most are mostly OK.

barongreenback | 6 years ago
2 likes

No, it's the same in every city.  And for all types of transportation too.  That's the thing about that youtube video, it's selective  3

Latest Comments