Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cervelo R5 v Caynyon SLX 9.0...

Hi,

Advice needed!  I am fortunate enough to be in the market for a new summer bike and am wanting to take advantage of the sales etc.  

I had my heart set on a Cervelo R5 Dura Ace mech 2017

https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/1518/products/cervelo-r5-dura-ace-road...

Recently I saw the Canyon CF SLX 9.0 am now confused!

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/ultimate/2018/ultimate-cf-slx-9-0.html

Any help would be gratefully received.  I am especially interested to know information on quality and stiffness.

Many thanks for the add and any help:)

tr101270

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

nickW1 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I recently got a new C3 and would suggest that if you tend to do quieter roads with a more variable surface quality then look atthe geometry of the C3 if its flat our road on good tarmac then perhaps not, I have found that the ride quality over less than perfect roads has been a real improvment  on my more race orientated bike speed difference has also been on the plus side.

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

If it's of any use...

I bought myself a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Disc 8.0 (and upgraded it to Ultegra R8020).

It's pretty lush! Very smooth responsive ride and I can only imagine that the rim brake version is even more responsive as it loses a little bit of weight with the rim brakes.

Canyon's level of thought for engineering things like the seatbolt clamp and integrated stem is very nice too. The bike also comes with a torque wrench, which is very handy and was really easy to setup. From order to delivery was 4 working days for me.

When you talk about stiffness, I highly doubt you'll be able to tell any significant difference. Both these bikes will be built to surpass both ISO 4210 and UCI standards. These bikes can take the force of pro sprinters in full flight - so I'm pretty sure either will be more than stiff enough.

Compliance is where there could potentially be a difference (though tyres will have a massive influence). For what it's worth, my Canyon is very smooth (much more comfortable than any Alu bike I've ever owned).

Nixster | 6 years ago
0 likes

Head would say Canyon, heart Cervelo. 

Buy what excites you, performance differences will be indistinguishable. 

Be prepared to be asked for discounts on root canal work if you get the Cervelo though...

CanyonChloe | 6 years ago
0 likes

Hi there,

It's Chloe here from Canyon UK!

The Ultimate is a great bike. It's our lightest road bike, it's stiff, responsive and ideal for climbing. It's also got a slightly more racier geometry than the Endurace with it's lower front end. 

Our bikes our exceptional value for money and the spec on the Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 is really great - the quick slick shift of Dura-Ace and DT Swiss wheels, along with the aerocockpit which is stiff but due to the carbon fibre nature of the bar it reduces road buzz.

This Grand Tour ready bike will certainly not disappoint, from ride quality to the behaviour and weight of the frame. It's a fast and enjoyable bike to ride!

We also have a full customer service team and service and warranty department here in the UK so should you have anything you need us to look at, we're always happy to arrange a collection of your bike and take a look, as well as assist in sourcing and ordering any spare parts needed.

Please don't hesitate to contact us via the live chat on our website if you have any further questions!

Kind regards,

CanyonChloe

sergius replied to CanyonChloe | 6 years ago
0 likes

CanyonChloe wrote:

Hi there,

It's Chloe here from Canyon UK!

The Ultimate is a great bike. It's our lightest road bike, it's stiff, responsive and ideal for climbing. It's also got a slightly more racier geometry than the Endurace with it's lower front end. 

Our bikes our exceptional value for money and the spec on the Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 is really great - the quick slick shift of Dura-Ace and DT Swiss wheels, along with the aerocockpit which is stiff but due to the carbon fibre nature of the bar it reduces road buzz.

This Grand Tour ready bike will certainly not disappoint, from ride quality to the behaviour and weight of the frame. It's a fast and enjoyable bike to ride!

We also have a full customer service team and service and warranty department here in the UK so should you have anything you need us to look at, we're always happy to arrange a collection of your bike and take a look, as well as assist in sourcing and ordering any spare parts needed.

Please don't hesitate to contact us via the live chat on our website if you have any further questions!

Kind regards,

CanyonChloe

Completely off topic I know... Last year at one of the Cycling Weekly sportives Canyon had a stand with a few bikes (including an Aeroad) for people to look at.  I was in a rush so didn't pop over - are there any plans on doing something similar in 2018?  I'm planning on a 40th birthday present Aeroad - and can't decide on a small or medium size-wise.

CanyonChloe replied to sergius | 6 years ago
0 likes

'Completely off topic I know... Last year at one of the Cycling Weekly sportives Canyon had a stand with a few bikes (including an Aeroad) for people to look at.  I was in a rush so didn't pop over - are there any plans on doing something similar in 2018?  I'm planning on a 40th birthday present Aeroad - and can't decide on a small or medium size-wise.'

Hi Sergius,

Thanks for your message!

Yes we will definitely be running events and demo days next year. The 2018 events list is just being finalised, but all details will be placed on the Canyon UK Facebook page so please keep an eye on this for updates!

We are also more than happy to help with sizing, the live chat tool on our website is useful to pop on and ask us any questions you may have.

Many thanks,

CanyonChloe

philhubbard | 6 years ago
0 likes

I would say it depends if leisurelakes is close to you I would go for the Cervelo. It just depends what you are looking for.

You obviously get slightly more bang for your buck with Canyon (newer groupset and better wheels) however the Cervelo will have easier warranty and maintenance (if you're local)

Scoob_84 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I recently picked up a Ultimate CF SLX 8.0 disc in stealth....its a lovely bike, fast as expected and suprisngly bouncy rear end. I never really bought into this vertical compliance but its definately there and noticable. 

But if i were to buy the bike again, i'd go for something with a bit more colour than stealth black. 

Latest Comments