Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

The joys of Garmin!

Is anyone else having numerous Bluetooth connection issues with any Garmin products? Anyone found a way round it yet? 

And yes, I’ve tried turning both phone and unit off, ‘forgetting’ the devices and trying to reconnnect. Nothing is working!

I’m eagerly awaiting the gloating from all the non-Garmin owners!!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

hughw | 6 years ago
0 likes

Picked up a Wahoo Elemnt bolt in the spring, and while the computer and ride recording side of things is great, the navigation really leaves something to be desired.

All the navigation is handled on your phone, using your phone's GPS, so it knackers the battery. You can load in a route beforehand, or plan routes on the app, and both of these things work quite well. In general, the route planning is incredibly sadistic, and has in the past sent me up 3 hills in quick succession, when the first hill would have put me on a flat(ish) road home

So in all, the UX is great, but the navigation really leaves something to be desired

HLaB | 6 years ago
0 likes

Touch wood, I've not had many of the numerous problems folk report often and had good aftersales service.   I think however, someone said they've put the refurb charge up, if so if my 1000 ever fails I'll be looking elsewhere, I quite like the look of the new Giant GPS pricewise.

PRSboy | 6 years ago
0 likes

My Edge 810 Bluetooth is becoming increasingly hit and miss, and seems to have taken to beeping randomly, cycling through connected/disconnected/satellites located etc.

No doubt it will soon join my 800, 3 HR monitors and 3 cadence sensors in the dead Garmin product drawer.

How that company gets away with it is beyond me and I really hope Wahoo etc take a proper fight to them.  Certainly the last Garmin product I will buy, and no way I'd lay out ££££ on Vectors.

davel replied to PRSboy | 6 years ago
0 likes
PRSboy wrote:

How that company gets away with it is beyond me and I really hope Wahoo etc take a proper fight to them.  Certainly the last Garmin product I will buy, and no way I'd lay out ££££ on Vectors.

Some of their products are awesome. I still don't know of any bike navigators that really compete with the Edges. And too many people (me included) will put up with the flakiness because they know not of better - when they work.

But it really does feel like an abusive relationship at times. I'd love another company to give them a kicking.

Jem PT | 6 years ago
0 likes

I try and avoid Garmin updates as they always cock things up (phone not synching with device etc.) but somethimes they slip in when I'm being careless. They really are crap with their software - why the hell donh't they test them first??

Russell Orgazoid | 6 years ago
0 likes

Wahoo all the way. Every weekend i see "Garmin malfunction" type ride names. Garmin is Windows/Betamax. Wahoo is Apple/Sky+HD.

And yes, I've had all of the above.

Gloat over. Just being honest.

davel replied to Russell Orgazoid | 6 years ago
0 likes
Plasterer's Radio wrote:

Wahoo all the way. Every weekend i see "Garmin malfunction" type ride names. Garmin is Windows/Betamax. Wahoo is Apple/Sky+HD.

And yes, I've had all of the above.

Gloat over. Just being honest.

I'd gladly ditch most of my Garmins (I'd keep the Fenix 5X - it is v good) but I've not been convinced by the navigation on other units.

I'd also gladly go wahoo - I have a kickr, HRM, other sensors - all good.

But when I need navigation it has to be top-notch. Eg. riding in a foreign country by myself top-notch. I think the Garmins are still top of the class there? Happy to be corrected, though.

Does the elemnt or anything else have proper turn-by-turn instructions with decent maps?

alansmurphy replied to Russell Orgazoid | 6 years ago
0 likes

Plasterer's Radio wrote:

Wahoo is Apple/Sky+HD.

If that's the case then I will avoid their over-priced, style over substance, close-shopped horror show like the plague!

BarryBianchi | 6 years ago
0 likes

Mine was/were working OK till the software update earlier this week. Now it's all back to wank as per with Garmin.  Me n Davel is gonna pop a cap in their ass, it's all sorted.

Scheißenberg | 6 years ago
0 likes

Posts like this along with my problems with Garmin make me look at the Wahoo bolt for Xmas.

HLaB | 6 years ago
0 likes

I think I had problems too when I first set it up but touch wood its been stable for over a year  7

fullers1979 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the help! I’ve actually managed to get fix it now. We’ll see how long it lasts!

davel | 6 years ago
0 likes

Assuming you're talking about your devices talking to your phone via Garmin Connect?

If it's only been happening since the latest Connect update, it's probably that: same thing happened to me with a previous update. If you've got your apps set to update automatically, you might not even realise Connect has updated.

If it is that, uninstall it and install a previous version. I used 3.20.3 and it fixed it (I'm on Android). Google it and you'll find it at some mirror sites.

Latest Comments