Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Recovery - what am I doing wrong?

I go to the Alps for 2 week holidays, riding every day, climbing lots, 1500-2500m and 100-200km per day.

I rest and sleep loads and eat carefully and well there, and get stronger and faster, specially in week 2.
I raced a kilometer vertical and beat everyone over 38 - well, there were only 42 people.

But when I return, I get more and more weary over the next two weeks. Not tired, bone-weary - I just feel like I'm at rock-bottom, almost in tears and am close to jacking in my job.

I keep my weight, fat, muscle pretty much constant and eat carefully here and have an office job.
Back here, my muscles feel stronger and I'm faster, no aches and pains, but I've had to stop riding till I work this out.

What's going on? What am I missing? I expected the altitude and training to make me better!

I'm female, aged 60, very lean, 58kg/9st 2lb, 290W FTP, had cancer last year, but confident that is licked.

Thank you!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

roof30 | 6 years ago
1 like

I just wanted to add that you are a complete inspiration Jaysa.  If I achieve half what you have I'll be happy.

I am unable to offer any words of wisdom that haven't already been said, other than your body will take longer to recover at your age (this is not meant to be offensive), and due to your cancer last year.  I say this as someone who is  nursing a failing transplant and also post heart attack; recovery takes longer when your body is contending with other issues, and post-treatment can take a long time to heal from.

Keep up the, frankly, staggering work!  1

Ruth

Andy1663 | 6 years ago
2 likes

Hi Jaysa,

Glad to hear you're feeling more positive. Hope the recovery continues.

Notice that you're FTP is an amazing 5W/kg . According to Coggan's chart that puts you at almost 'World Class' for all Women, and I imagine well into World Class for the 60+ age group.  If I was anything close to that standard I'd probably be considering a coach, who might also be able to advise on the recovery issues. 

Kind regards.

jaysa replied to Andy1663 | 6 years ago
1 like

Andy1663 wrote:

I'd probably be considering a coach, who might also be able to advise on the recovery issues. 

That sounds a good call, though not sure I can justify the ongoing cost as it's just for pleasure.  5W/kg has been a self-coached 2 year target, but I'm getting out of my depth now - hence this thread.  I used to run as a 10K International and run 5K at age group National level at the mo.

Daveyreavygravey wrote:

It sounded like you were riding every day, and in that region it will be very hard to do a proper recovery ride.  I've read some people say a recovery ride shouldn't go above zone 2. 
Beautiful countryside, great food stops, and no family at home worrying we were 10 minutes later back than we had said, it was brilliant.  That freedom is not a factor in most of our lives when at home.

Yes, I rode every day, riding by feel, so keeping perceived exertion down after an intense day.

Years ago my running coach said my lactate clearance or tolerance was good, so I can sustain high exertion, for example the last 8 minutes of the kilometer vertical was at max heart rate, which wasn't very pretty.  Not sure that's wise at my age, and no plans to repeat it!  The next day was a lovely gentle valley spin, enjoying the views ...

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
1 like

I think your middle paragraph says it all. I had a much shorter trip for Ventoux this year but waking up when I wanted rather than when I had to, with sunshine, a pool and another ride planned makes a hell of a difference.

Also, never underestimate the power of lycra. My work commute is really short (couple of miles)  and after a long ride on a Sunday I can barely turn the pedals to get into work with my work attire on. If I'm doing the long route in (oops 20 miles) and I pull on the lycra and get prepared, my legs are much better as I'm riding for enjoyment...

jaysa | 6 years ago
2 likes

Thank you all so much for your interest and suggestions. I'm really touched.

My guess is this is probably overtraining, because after 10 days, I'm starting to feel positive and sense of humour is returning.

What caught me out was that I felt I was recovering well in the Alps (food, protein, rest, 10hr sleeps, no grumpiness, having fun) and my performance improved steadily, yet I got steadily worse back in Blighty when doing no biking, and just walking an hour or so a day to keep the body moving.

I didn't expect a recovery debt like that !

My desk is next to a window, so yes, I get natural light, although there has to be an emotional component returning to traffic jams and gloom after 2 weeks of joy and natural beauty. Euphoria - yes!

Perhaps I should keep the lid on my output a bit more?

Daveyraveygravey replied to jaysa | 6 years ago
2 likes

jaysa wrote:

...What caught me out was that I felt I was recovering well in the Alps (food, protein, rest, 10hr sleeps, no grumpiness, having fun) and my performance improved steadily, yet I got steadily worse back in Blighty when doing no biking, and just walking an hour or so a day to keep the body moving...

Might be the definition of recovery that is the problem.  From your original post, I didn't think you got ANY recovery in the Alps?  It sounded like you were riding every day, and in that region it will be very hard to do a proper recovery ride.  I've read some people say a recovery ride shouldn't go above zone 2; I can't do that in Sussex, never mind the Alps!  It doesn't take much of a hill for me to go into zone 3, and the big ones are zone 4 at least. 

I don't really do recovery rides any more because of this; I'd rather do nothing for a day or two and then have more options when I do ride again about how hard to go at it.

In May a friend and I went to watch the Giro on the Blockhaus on the Sunday, which was a great day.  We had Saturday free, and with only a vague idea of a route, and no reason to rush anywhere, it was one of the best rides I've done all year.  Beautiful countryside, great food stops, and no family at home worrying we were 10 minutes later back than we had said, it was brilliant.  That freedom is not a factor in most of our lives when at home.

don simon fbpe replied to jaysa | 6 years ago
0 likes

jaysa wrote:

Thank you all so much for your interest and suggestions. I'm really touched.

My guess is this is probably overtraining, because after 10 days, I'm starting to feel positive and sense of humour is returning.

What caught me out was that I felt I was recovering well in the Alps (food, protein, rest, 10hr sleeps, no grumpiness, having fun) and my performance improved steadily, yet I got steadily worse back in Blighty when doing no biking, and just walking an hour or so a day to keep the body moving.

I didn't expect a recovery debt like that !

My desk is next to a window, so yes, I get natural light, although there has to be an emotional component returning to traffic jams and gloom after 2 weeks of joy and natural beauty. Euphoria - yes!

Perhaps I should keep the lid on my output a bit more?

I have found your problem, now apart from the bit about talking to a real medic, pack your bags, catch plane and move lock, stock and barrel to another, much better country than this one. yes

Jimmy Ray Will | 6 years ago
0 likes

Sounds fairly normal to me... but you don't say how long the fatigue lasts following the two weeks after you get back.

It is very easy to underestimate what the working day takes out of you. when on holiday, it is far easier to sustain higher levels of cycling output than when at home working around work.

That said, that time on holiday will defintiely be putting you deep into a box of overload, which will require prolonged recovery. 

Are you backing off the bike massively when you get back from your Alps trips to enable this recovery to take place? If not, then this will explain a lot of what you are experiencing. 

Also, I'd anticipate that you feel fairly euphoric on your immediate return from holiday, which will receed at the same time as the fatigue comes through. 

I'd also argue that riding in tights and colder air will be harder than warmer conditions. You mention power levels so I guess you use a power meter which will quantify things a bit. However, power is measured at the crank / wheel so won't take into account resistance from clothing, or the extra stress of breathing cold air. 

PRSboy | 6 years ago
1 like

How is your sleeping?  Lots of evidence to show that having even a bit less sleep than you should over a relatively short period can make you feel depressed.

I've done a couple of similar Alpine tours, I must say I do feel a bit down when I've returned home, which I've put down to no longer being surrounded by that stunning natural beauty, and just being 'at play' and not having to worry about anything but the bike for a bit.

Given the feelings you describe, and your recovery from Cancer, defo worth a trip to a healthcare professional, if nothing else for reassurance.

Daveyraveygravey | 6 years ago
0 likes

Hats off to you first of all!  Rest and recovery is a big part of training well; it sounds like what you are doing in the Alps is very full on, comparable almost to what the pros do.  They are younger than you and have out of this world back up to help manage their performance when not on the bike.  Are you going full gas on every ride when you are away?  Do you have any flatter rides where you take it easy?

In my experience there is nothing like riding big mountains to improve your performance, but you will need time off after to recover and really see the benefits.

I rode three big climbs this summer, but had 4 days completely off the bike in between.  When I got back to the UK I felt fantastic on the bike for a few weeks, but feel like I have slipped back to pre-summer levels already.

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've done week mountain tours, they are tough and I always need a week or so after to recover. I usually just do recovery zone 2 rides for the following week and not overly long, one hour max.

TheFatAndTheFurious | 6 years ago
1 like

Just throwing this out there as a random internet commenter with zero medical qualifications: 

Do you get much natural daylight in the office job?

Simon E replied to TheFatAndTheFurious | 6 years ago
0 likes

TheLonelyOne wrote:

Just throwing this out there as a random internet commenter with zero medical qualifications: 

Do you get much natural daylight in the office job?

Interesting point. I'd suggest it is one of the less likely factors but worth considering.

2 weeks of intense riding. Low bodyfat levels. Air travel. Could you have picked a virus that is contributing to how you feel now?

What is your job like? On your feet? Stressful? Long hours? Are there other things in your life that are affecting your mental wellbeing?

I too would suggest you consult a health professional.

beezus fufoon | 6 years ago
6 likes

I also start to get depressed the moment I hear people speaking English at the airport, and feel all too keenly the loss of the joy of simply being able to tune-out the inane conversations of random strangers. Then there's the brexit...

my advice - just stay in the Alps.

reliablemeatloaf | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm not going to race you in any hill-climbs, that's for sure!

You mentioned that you had cancer, and I wonder if you are suffering from cancer-fatigue? My mother-in-law had cancer and was treated about four years ago, but had fatigue until only about a year ago.

Perhaps one of your doctors could help you find out if this is what is going on.

https://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatments-and-side-effects/physical-side-effects/fatigue/what-is-cancer-related-fatigue.html

Welsh boy | 6 years ago
1 like

As wellsprop says, seek professional advice, this is not a diagnosis to be made by complete amateur strangers over the internet.

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

First off, chapeau! I'm 21, pretty fit and I'd certainly struggle to match that effort!

Secondly and (most importantly), I'd suggest seeing a dedicated sports therapist/doctor.

Sounds like overtraining to me - but what do I know. I'd highly recommend seeking the advice of a professionally trained person.

Latest Comments