Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Percentage of women cyclists in your club/group?

Hi all,

I helped start a cycle group in my local village (population 3000) about five years ago. Its gone very well, and went from five dads to seventy members. Its a free of charge group to join, and riders come from others villages and towns to take part.

One thing thats confounded me a bit, is that it is 100% men.

The village had zero sports for women - only a football club and a cricket club, so no sports that accepted women into their clubs. I honestly thought that the cycle group would be quite a large proportion of women, especially as there are no other sports clubs that take women in, but it hasn't happened.

I've appealed for any interested women to start womens only rides, or Breeze rides, but had no takers at all. 

I don't really want to keep pushing it, if there is no interest, but thought it seemed a bit odd. I notice that clubs/groups in the nearby cities also have less women amoung them - probably between 10 and 20% women, but not zero like we have.

Anyone elses club/group having a similar experience? Did you ever manage to increase the proportion of women cycling, or did you give up?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

1 comments

BarryBianchi | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm pretty sure our one is 100%.

Latest Comments