Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Southern France / northern Spain recommendations (pre Haute Route)

Hi all,

I've registered for the 2018 Haute Route Pyrenees and am trying to figure out how to travel and acclimatise prior to this. The thing is that I'm coming up from New Zealand, so I'll be coming from the depths of winter into summer and need to get over my jetlag, get used to riding on the wrong side of the road, and generally get into the swing of things.

With that in mind I'd been thinking of having at least a week in southern France (or northern Spain) before the race starts, but I have no clue where to go. Ideally it'd be near Toulouse, which is where I'd be getting picked up and taken to the start point of Pau, but I have no idea if a week or two in Toulouse would be awesome or rubbish. Is somewhere nearby a better base, given I'd like to do some riding and generally do a bit of touristic stuff? Or should I head further south and have a week or two in Girona, which would clearly be awesome but may be in the midst of a civil war by then?

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers,

Stephen

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

GMK | 6 years ago
0 likes

And it’s not always hot! Etape 2014 it was 5 degrees and raining over the top of the Tourmalet, there’s a report here if you fancy a read;

http://www.sportive.com/etape-du-tour/514656/wet-cold-and-hard-riding-th...

sminchnz | 6 years ago
1 like

Thanks for this, guys – super useful! I had been wondering if Toulouse wouldb’t quite fit the bill so glad to have checked. Now I just need to decide which options look best...

And yes, I’m really conscious that the climbs in the HR are going to be a hell of a lot longer than anything we have around here. I’m in Wellington and the biggest climbs here are around 400m, so I’m going to be totally out of my depth in the Pyrenees! That’ll be a major focus of the next few months. Hopefully I won’t be in too much trouble too soon  4

I’ll check out VeloReality and crank up the heater in my basement, and try to get my head around riding on the wrong side of the road. What could possibly go wrong?

jaysa | 6 years ago
1 like

Mmm - envious!!

HR2018 is late August for 7 days, so expect it to be hot and sticky: 30-35C, and possibly downpours.

The route isnt published yet, but HR2017 had overnights in the flatlands below the Pyrenees https://www.hauteroute.org/events/overview/pyrenees-2017 so you'll be sleeping low, which is best for recovery.

You sound like an experienced rider and I can't see where in NZ you live, so forgive me for saying this, but Pyrenean climbs are often long and can be steep for kms, so aim to ride some to get used to the sustained effort/drinking/eating/clothing.

Riding on the right is easy and Fr. drivers are IME more considerate than NZ drivers, but be careful of junctions, specially when there's no cars and you're tired. August is peak holiday season, so expect campervans and drivers that aren't used to hairpins = over the centreline on corners  1

You'll need at least 10 days to recover, adjust to temp/humidity, get used to climbing 2500m+ every day and be at the top of your game.

Have ridden the RAID Pyreneean and ridden many of the French routes - sorry, don't know the Spanish side.

Toulouse is too far North - aim to be South of the A64, so you can get head North for easier and South for harder training.

If you have a smart Turbo trainer, VeloReality gives you Full HD real-life footage of Alpine and some Pyreneean passes with actual resistance, so you can get your legs and head ready beforehand - I spend my Winters on it!

GMK | 6 years ago
1 like

Hi Stephen. I live about 1.5 hours north of the Pyrenees.

Lourdes is a great place to base yourself. Lots of hotels and guest houses so prices tend to be very competitive.

Very handy if you want to bag some famous climbs too and if you fancy an easy day on the flat there is plenty of choice along the valleys.

Start heading further north (towards Toulouse and Cahors) and the landscape becomes more rolling hills, still a challenge but definitely not the high mountains- think 1 or 2kms at 10% gradient.

depends how much of a challenge you’re looking for.

good luck!

Manchestercyclist | 6 years ago
0 likes

Toulouse is a great city to visit, if it's cycling with hill then I'd recommend the massif central around aurillac. There are lots of pretty towns around, plenty of hills and very little traffic. The train runs direct from Toulouse and takes around two hours, although you could ride it over a day or two and visit the many interesting places en route. For example cahors is lovely and attractive, figeac is a little gem too.

beezus fufoon | 6 years ago
0 likes

Toulouse is a bit flat - better to get closer to the mountains, Lourdes is an interesting place not far from Pau.

Latest Comments