Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Interesting discovery re 11 speed quick links.

I use 11 speed quick links on both my bikes and happily re-use them whenever I deep clean my chain. I just tested the chain with my Park Tool checker as I was walking past it. The 0.75% dropped clean through so long as I included the quick link in the bit I tested. I tested a few sections that didn't include the quick link and it was fine. I replaced the quick link and suddenly, any pair of links tested across the quick link was fine so it looks like they elongate much faster than the chain.

Just something to bare in mind (I've just ordered a few spare pairs)!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

That isn't what I was saying. A new chain always gets a new link it's just that that new link gets re-used over the life of that chain (or did!).

mikecassie | 6 years ago
0 likes

New chain new quick link, KMC chains come with them so I use them.  Can't see why you'd replace a chain and re-use the quick link.  I'd use it if I'd not got a quick link, lost it etc but I'd order a new one and fit as soon as I could.  

The thought of the chain breaking and me smashing my delicates into the top tube doesn't bear thinking about.

Miller | 6 years ago
0 likes

The only chain I've broken in many, many years broke at a re-used quick link so best practice would seem to be to regard them as single-use.

srchar | 6 years ago
0 likes

I used to re-use my KMC 11-speed links, however one of them failed while pulling away from the lights a few weeks ago. Granted, it was a couple of years and several chains old. So, I've decided that they are a 6-monthly maintenance item.

hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
0 likes

I re-use my 11-speed links all the time - looks like I'm going to be checking them for wear now. I wonder if they have increased wear if they're re-used lots of times but don't spend that long between re-uses.

TypeVertigo | 6 years ago
1 like

Interesting stuff. Thanks.

I believe Park Tool also recommend replacing 11-speed chains at 0.5% wear, not 0.75% which would be fine with 10-speed chains or lower.

Latest Comments