Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Specialized allez sprint vs tarmac expert

Hey everyone, so I'm looking to get a new road bike. Have had a cheap Merida for about 3 years. I will use it mostly for training as I primarily do mountain biking although I am looking to do a lot more road races next year as well.

I have about $2500 nzd to spend and that would get me and Allez Sprint frame (red hook crit edition) with shimano 105 and the cheapest wheels and finishing kit i can find, or a second hand 2016 Specialized Tarmac expert with ultegra 6800 and some Fulcrum Racing Zeros for $2500 as well.

I know this may be a no brainer as the Tarmac is carbon and has much better components, but I just can't get over how good the red hook crit paint scheme looks.

Any advice for me?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

VeloUSA | 6 years ago
0 likes

There are pros and cons for both bikes. Buy what best meets your riding style and eye appeal.

BarryBianchi | 6 years ago
0 likes

The Alez is like a solid block of concrete.  Don't go there.

Vejnemojnen | 6 years ago
0 likes

The allez sprint is a perfect tool for ECL, aka extracorporeal lithotripsy. No shock waves needed, it'll just smash any renal stone.

Have you considered an all-rounder, such as Merida Scultura? Those are quite compliant, yet stiff enough.

Ogi | 6 years ago
0 likes

Depends what you're after. Allez Sprint is supposedly very stiff and bone-jarring, as it's meant to be due to its focus on crit racing, aggressive position, some aero elements. Tarmac will certainly feel more comfortable, but far from being a slouch. 

Latest Comments