Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Mavic Kysrium Elite or Hunt Aero Wide/Road

Pondering a wheel upgrade from the stock Giant SR2 wheels the bike came with- budget up to £400 max.

Where I am it’s all about hills, so minimum weight is far more important than aerodynamics, what are your thoughts on the 2 sets in the title?

The Mavics are a fraction heavier, but going with Hunt does run the risk of the ‘small independent retailer’ issues (think Planet X) warranty etc.

Wheels are for the Summer bike, running 25mm Conti’s Gp2s

Curious to know everyone’s views (other wheels for the price) cheers.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

drosco | 6 years ago
0 likes

My stock wheels on my Synapse were terrible. Some Cosines with Novatec hubs were a night and day improvement.

Scoob_84 | 6 years ago
0 likes

On another note, are stock wheels really that bad? Since having my winter bike nicked, i've been riding a Genesis Croix de fer on some alex rims and basic shimano hubs and 32 hole spokes. I was intially looking to get these replaced ASAP but found I could still gun it around on these and hold the speed on the flats.  

Goldfever4 replied to Scoob_84 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Scoob_84 wrote:

On another note, are stock wheels really that bad? Since having my winter bike nicked, i've been riding a Genesis Croix de fer on some alex rims and basic shimano hubs and 32 hole spokes. I was intially looking to get these replaced ASAP but found I could still gun it around on these and hold the speed on the flats.  

Well, I don't think those wheels are stock if they have shim hubs. Not surprising as the stock hubs on the CdF wheels are made of cheese.

In that sense and in weight for that wheelset, they're pants and an upgrade would make a notable difference.

mike the bike replied to Goldfever4 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Goldfever4 wrote:

...... Well, I don't think those wheels are stock if they have shim hubs. Not surprising as the stock hubs on the CdF wheels are made of cheese. ...... 

Not too sure about that.  My Croix has Shimano hubs as standard and, being loose ball, they are simple to service and will last until I am gone.

Goldfever4 replied to mike the bike | 6 years ago
0 likes

mike the bike wrote:

Goldfever4 wrote:

...... Well, I don't think those wheels are stock if they have shim hubs. Not surprising as the stock hubs on the CdF wheels are made of cheese. ...... 

Not too sure about that.  My Croix has Shimano hubs as standard and, being loose ball, they are simple to service and will last until I am gone.

Well I suppose it depends on the model and year but mine came with Joytech hubs which AFAIK are a cheaper version of the Shim hubs.

Scoob_84 | 6 years ago
0 likes

My only gripe with straight pull spokes (especially mavics) is that they always seem to rotate slightly which really f**ks with my OCD.  If your going to chuck £400 at a pair of wheels, id weigh up handbuilts like H plus spon Archetypes with j bend spokes.  I used to have a lovely pair of these, but unfortunately they got nicked which is another story. 

LarryDavidJr | 6 years ago
0 likes

Not ridden Kysriums, but have had a set of HUNT aero-wides, for about a year.  They feel like you're flying uphill over stock wheels!  The wear hole on the brake track seems like its shallower than my stock wheels were, I'm presuming this means not as much 'wear life' as a set of stock wheels but thats probably where some of the weight gains come from.  Of course that could just be my imagination, and I don't have any other 'lightweight' wheelsets to compare it to.

Keep the stock ones for winter use, and wear down the brake track on those with the winter paste!

As for customer services issues.  You will have ZERO and I think I can say that confidently.  I did have a minor issue with one wheel when new and they bent over backwards to sort it.  At zero expense to myself.  To be honest you'll probably get better and more personal service from them than you will from a big corporate like Mavic.

emjay49 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've got Ksyrium Pro and and 2 sets of Hunt currently. The Ksyriums are as above - extremely well built, run smoothly and look like they will last many years. I have the Hunt Mason X and also the Carbon 30. The Hunts are great value for money and as above their customer service is brilliant. I've contacted them a couple of times and they are a pleasure to deal with. Out of all the wheels the Carbon 30s are my best set. They are very quick, ultra light and not twitchy in a side wind. I wouldn't be worried about any after sales issues with the Hunts as thy will stand by an issue even if out of warranty . 

CasperCCC | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've got three sets of Hunt wheels now (or rather, I've got two and my girlfriend inherited a pair when I went from rim to disc brakes).

I haven't ridden the Kysrium Elites, so can't help there, but I'm really happy with the Hunts. What's really made the difference is the customer service, though, which is why I've ended up going back to them.  

They've been great every time I've dealt with them. I needed to replace the bearings on one set, and when I checked which ones I needed to buy they just stuck a new set in the post to me. And when I had a minor crash that wrote off a back wheel, they gave a pretty generous discount on a replacement wheel and had it in the post to me within a couple of days.

Thought I'd chip in, as you said that one thing that was putting you off was the small independent retailer angle. 

Ogi | 6 years ago
0 likes

If it is any help, DT Swiss RR21 can be found for 470 on Rosebikes.de, whilst I remember their price was around 600 about a year ago.

Welsh boy | 6 years ago
0 likes

I bought a pair of ProLite Bracciano 42mm wheels, rode them once and sent them back, the join on the rim was so bad on the back wheel that they were unusable.  Maybe one bad pair but that is my experience of them.  Have a look at Superstar's selection, some real shocking colour schemes if that is your thing.  https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/shop/road/road-wheels/

Vejnemojnen | 6 years ago
0 likes
drosco | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've had some Ksyriums for years and they've been faultless. Recommend.

If you're not a brand snob, these are very light for the money -

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pro-lite-bortola-a21-alloy-clincher-wheelset/

beigemaster replied to drosco | 6 years ago
1 like

drosco wrote:

I've had some Ksyriums for years and they've been faultless. Recommend. If you're not a brand snob, these are very light for the money - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pro-lite-bortola-a21-alloy-clincher-wheelset/

That’s a fair bit cheaper than the Kysriums for roughly the same weight, has anyone used/owned a pair? Not a brand snob, but equally would rather pay a bit extra if you get bombproof reliability as that will save money over the long term.

Thanks for all the replies so far guys.

Ogi | 6 years ago
1 like

I think they are comparable, but I would say go for Ksyriums. Few grams up or down won't matter, for the sake of durability. I think Ksyriums probably have more durable hubs than Hunt's Novatec.

Let me propose some other options for you:

-Handbuilt Hope Mono RS/RS4 or DT 350s with Kinlin rims/Mavic Open Pro UST/Sapim spokes.

-DT Swiss RR21 Dicut (240s hubs) - shop around, might be slightly more than budget.

-Campagnolo Zondas C17.

-FFWD F2A (240s hubs) - shop around, might be above budget a bit.

ibr17xvii replied to Ogi | 6 years ago
0 likes

Ogi wrote:

I think they are comparable, but I would say go for Ksyriums. Few grams up or down won't matter, for the sake of durability. I think Ksyriums probably have more durable hubs than Hunt's Novatec.

Let me propose some other options for you:

-Handbuilt Hope Mono RS/RS4 or DT 350s with Kinlin rims/Mavic Open Pro UST/Sapim spokes.

-DT Swiss RR21 Dicut (240s hubs) - shop around, might be slightly more than budget.

-Campagnolo Zondas C17.

-FFWD F2A (240s hubs) - shop around, might be above budget a bit.

I've got the RR21's on the best bike & they are excellent. As you say probably slightly out of budget though.

Also got some Mavics on the winter bike & they excellent too. Minimal maintenance needed & bombproof.

No direct experience of Hunts but they always seem to review well. I nearly bought a set but plumped for the RR21's instead.

If it was my money I'd go with the Mavics.

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I own 2 set of wheels from Hunt. I have no complaints about their wheels or service, bearings are easily replaced, you get spare spokes with the purchase.

BarryBianchi | 6 years ago
0 likes

KEs are an epic wheelset.  My oldest set are the very first ones, and I've still to true them, because they are still within 1mm of true.  People take a whole load of badgers fetch about them being "harsh" and "unforgiving" etc, but it's complete balls - drop 5psi and stop moaning.  They really are a superb wheelset for tacking potholes, crappy roads and all the rest of it without issues, and over the ditch on hot flat roads they just roll on and on and on.  Ok, they're not (now) exotic, but they are superb.  Where's my endoresement payment?  Oh - probalby don't deserve one given how long they last.

Welsh boy | 6 years ago
0 likes

I haven't ridden either but what I will say is that my Mavic Aksium wheels have outlasted 2 pair of Cosine (Wiggle own brand) and 2 pairs of Campag (Zonda and Vento) wheels.  Guess which make I am going to buy when I need a new pair of wheels!

Hunt have a sale on at the moment, a friend of mine bought a pair this morning.

Latest Comments