Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

wide aero wheelset options

Looking at Canyon (either Ultimate or Aeroad, will decide after test rides), but might want to change out the supplied wheelset.

I am keen to get on board with super-wide rims and 28mm tyres, run at lower pressures, so buying my first disc bike is a good time to do it. It's quite a trendy thing at the moment but it all makes sense to me in terms of comfort and less energy lost due to firing my arse into the air over every bump.

The Ultimate comes with Mavic cosmic carbone rims, the Aeroad with Reynolds Strike, both of which I assume are pretty good. However they are also only 17mm internal width, narrower than my current swiss side hadrons.

Which options are out there for proper wide aero rims (ideally tubeless compatible)? The Enve SES 4.5 AR are my gold standard, with 25mm internal width, but there is no way I'm paying 3 grand for a set of wheels, that's not far off the cost of the bike! Hunt 'deep wide aero'(?) are 21mm internal, and I could sell the Mavics that came with the bike and buy the Hunts almost cost neutral. Any other options out there? The Dura Ace C60 says 24mm rim width, but is that internal or external?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

akmbikes | 6 years ago
0 likes

You'd get another upvote for DCR from me too.

He built me a lovely pair of wheels (albeit in the training/audax style) and I couldn't believe the difference they made. When I need some others (for other bikes) I'll be going straight back to him.

Lovely customer service too. I really felt that he took into consideration my requirements and price rage and then made pertinent suggestions.

Scoob_84 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've also had a decent service from DCR.  His Bitex (DCR) hubs were fine up until the pawls exploded. They're super easy to open up with basic allen keys, popped him an email with some pics, and recieved a new freehub free of charge days later. 

Ideally you would want your wheelbuilder to be local, but he's a good alternative. 

Ogi | 6 years ago
0 likes

You could also try with DCR wheels. They can probably build you nice hub with their DCR carbon rims:

https://dcrwheels.co.uk/products/dcr-components/dcr-carbon-rims/

jaysa replied to Ogi | 6 years ago
0 likes

Ogi wrote:

You could also try with DCR wheels. They can probably build you nice hub with their DCR carbon rims:

https://dcrwheels.co.uk/products/dcr-components/dcr-carbon-rims/

I specced some climbing wheels from DCR and they turned out great - so am upvoting DCR for their service and quality of build.

hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
0 likes

How about the Prime RR 50 or RP 50 (same rim but straight-pull Sapim CX-Ray spokes)? They've got a width of 25mm (16.5mm rim bed) and are tubeless ready. They're around £700 depending on disk/caliper etc.

OrangeRidley replied to hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

How about the Prime RR 50 or RP 50 (same rim but straight-pull Sapim CX-Ray spokes)? They've got a width of 25mm (16.5mm rim bed) and are tubeless ready. They're around £700 depending on disk/caliper etc.

I've just bought a set of primes from  Brother NRG-Wattshop a UK national level semi-pro team and on first impressions they look very good. Other than having Vittoria Corsa Speeds set up tubeless on them which are nigh-on-impossible to get on or off

theRomfordRider replied to OrangeRidley | 6 years ago
0 likes

OrangeRidley wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

I've just bought a set of primes from  Brother NRG-Wattshop a UK national level semi-pro team and on first impressions they look very good. Other than having Vittoria Corsa Speeds set up tubeless on them which are nigh-on-impossible to get on or off

I have been using Prime RP50 wheels since April. Apart from the price and look of them, I went for them as they had a much higher weight limit (18 stone i believe,which i am no where near). Can't find any issues with them, apart from the stock brake pads don't last long.

peted76 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Zipp 303's, I think they are 28mm wide!

Hunts for branded value, or get some wheels offa China.

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Hunt do aero disc wheelsets. Also Chinese from eBay do a huge range of cheap wheelsets clincher and tubular rims

These cost me £279 for the wheelset

Latest Comments